Is 1.5ft width for a reef tank too narrow?

Hi Experts,

I am thinking of doing a 4ft x 1.5ft x 2ft tank. But is 1.5ft width for a reeftank too narrow for decent rock scaping?

Please advice?

yes bro,

It is more challenging to scape with a narrow width especially if you want to have a higher rockwork in your 2 ft height.

It you cannot get the right shaped rocks, you will end up with a scaping that looks like a flat wall.

A 2 ft width tank will be easier to scape, probably has less possibilities of deadspots and it will look more deeper. (more 3 dimensional).

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Hi Experts,

I am thinking of doing a 4ft x 1.5ft x 2ft tank. But is 1.5ft width for a reeftank too narrow for decent rock scaping?

Please advice?

What is your rationale for doing a 1.5ft width tank? Personally I would prefer a wider tank as you would have more space to place your corals.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

it must be a divider, haha...

anyway, from reefing perspective, you will definitely find it too narrow when you get addicted and try to somehow *perfect* the rockscape...but as a divider, 1.5ft is almost the max you can have...so the choice is still hard on you i guess

btw, i have the exact tank of your proposed size ...

• SRC Member

I always recommend at least 2ft width if you have the space. It gives a more realistic view than a 1.5ft as the narrower, the more '2d' your tank will look.

rock scaping wise, you can look for smaller rocks, spend abit more time with the scaping, no problems. However you will definitely have limited real estate to put your corals. If you have the space, go for 2ft, doesn't cost a lot more, but gives you alot more flexibility.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

If it is a 1.5ft FOWLR then it is possible to epoxy the rocks together to create a nice aquascape with sufficient space for the fishes to swim around. But 1.5ft for a reef tank is challenging. Somemore your is acting as a divider - meaning both sides of the tank is "seen" the 1.5ft is quite limited as the overflow has no "wall" to be placed, unless it is in the corner, then the flow of the water could be limited. you would nedd stronger motors to move the water around - meaning more heat, meaning you need a chiller, and meaning more equipment - menaing more $.

If you have a 2ft width, then the "pressures" placed on you can be relieved as later on you can have more options. It is up to you brother. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

it must be a divider, haha...

anyway, from reefing perspective, you will definitely find it too narrow when you get addicted and try to somehow *perfect* the rockscape...but as a divider, 1.5ft is almost the max you can have...so the choice is still hard on you i guess

btw, i have the exact tank of your proposed size ...

i think it's a divider too. LOL!