few qns to ask

My tank is currently cycling and need a few pieces of advice.

Qn 1) As i was reading through the dosing of vodka, vodka will help in cultivating bacteria. Now i'm at the stage of cycling my tank and I'm having the thought of dosing vodka hoping to cultivate more bacteria. Does it helps ? or am i at the wrong track ?

Qn 2) My skimmer is placed at the last compartment of my sump, any evaporation of water will cause a decrease in water level in the last compartment. Can anyone tell me why does a water level that is not constant has an adverse effect on the skimmer ? I've no way to place my skimmer else where as i can't fit it in.

Qn 3) I've got a couple of live rocks in my pico tank but is infested with apitasia. Would it be safe if i add them into my sump tank to help in filtration of my new tank ? oh yah.. btw.. my tank is filled with dead rocks now ..

• SRC Member

Qn 3) I've got a couple of live rocks in my pico tank but is infested with apitasia. Would it be safe if i add them into my sump tank to help in filtration of my new tank ? oh yah.. btw.. my tank is filled with dead rocks now ..

put the aiptasia in your sump , let them grow , they are good filter

• SRC Member

1 - let the others bro who know this update you (i not sure about vodka)

2 - depends on skimmer, beckett skimmer needs to be tuned according to water level, the lower the water, the skimming level you set will drop.

red sea hand on skimmer also depends on water level.

deltec skimmer wont be affected by the water level.

let us know what is your skimmer so we can advise further

3) - apitsia if not control will over take the coral, so sometimes it's better be safe then sorry :)

To yr first question, my understanding is dosing volka is not like adding bacts in yr tank. Yr tank must be rather mature to use this. I may be wrong, search the forum, there is a thread on volka dosing. To yr second question, in sump skimmer likely to be affected by water level. If yr skimmer cannot be put else where, suggest u elevate it to a pt where u have greater margin to play. If not, u might have to chge outsump type. Lastly, aiptasia won't go off by placing in the sump, if u want it live, place them in a qt and buy peppermint shrimp to clear, if not, dry it till all dead and wash it. Hope my opinion helps.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Don't leave the aiptasia in sump, though they act at vulture eating those leftover that passes them but they are considered as pest and multiple fast, so do it before regret. For most in sump skimmer, it is affected water level. Either u use a good hang on skimmer or change outsump with feed pump

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

My tank is currently cycling and need a few pieces of advice.

Qn 1) As i was reading through the dosing of vodka, vodka will help in cultivating bacteria. Now i'm at the stage of cycling my tank and I'm having the thought of dosing vodka hoping to cultivate more bacteria. Does it helps ? or am i at the wrong track ?

Qn 2) My skimmer is placed at the last compartment of my sump, any evaporation of water will cause a decrease in water level in the last compartment. Can anyone tell me why does a water level that is not constant has an adverse effect on the skimmer ? I've no way to place my skimmer else where as i can't fit it in.

1) Try not to dose vodka coz your tank is not matured yet. Use prodibio or other bacteria sumpplement to boost your bacteria colony.

2) Many in-sump skimmer water level is effected by the sump water level. So need to place the in-sump simmer in the sump compartment where the water level stays constant.

3) Throw that liverock that is infested with aiptasia. Better still, lend it to me coz my seagrass filefish is longing to eat aiptasia :yeah:

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

wow... thanks for all the fast replies. =)

ok.. i will not dose vodka just as yet as mine is not a mature set up.

my skimmer is a reef octopus.. in sump... but what is the logic for varying water level that will affect the efficiency of skimmers ? anyone care to explain ?

But my concern for apitasia on live rocks is that I'm worried that it might spread to my display tank even if I placed it in sump .. Is it of a concern ? I do not mind it multiplying in my sump as long as those few pieces helps in filtration .. Cos my tank is filled with dead rocks.. Or will u guys still suggest that I throw them away ?

But my concern for apitasia on live rocks is that I'm worried that it might spread to my display tank even if I placed it in sump .. Is it of a concern ? I do not mind it multiplying in my sump as long as those few pieces helps in filtration .. Cos my tank is filled with dead rocks.. Or will u guys still suggest that I throw them away ?

They will spread..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

wow... thanks for all the fast replies. =)

ok.. i will not dose vodka just as yet as mine is not a mature set up.

my skimmer is a reef octopus.. in sump... but what is the logic for varying water level that will affect the efficiency of skimmers ? anyone care to explain ?

wat model is yr reef octopus? so long yr water level in your sump is consistent and is 1/2 or 1/3 level of yr skimmer is ok.

this is my reef octopus running...

post-15124-1270448188129_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
l7304smr.jpg

wat model is yr reef octopus? so long yr water level in your sump is consistent and is 1/2 or 1/3 level of yr skimmer is ok.

I'm using orca int-80 .. Water level is not consistent due to evaporation an topping up of water..

• SRC Member

I'm using orca int-80 .. Water level is not consistent due to evaporation an topping up of water..

how come yr evaporation so drastic? u not using chiller? even if u use fan, yr water level shd drop at most by 2-3cm...for 2ft and less than 2cm for 3-4ft...and shd not affect the performance of yr skimmer...

did u get skimmate like this coming out?

post-15124-12704496439814_thumb.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

how come yr evaporation so drastic? u not using chiller? even if u use fan, yr water level shd drop at most by 2-3cm...for 2ft and less than 2cm for 3-4ft...and shd not affect the performance of yr skimmer...

did u get skimmate like this coming out?

hmmm .. Evaporation rate about 1 cm per day .. So what u mean is that there is no problem with this kind of evaporation ?

There is skimmate coming out.. But I read that fluctuating water level is no good.. But nv understand why water level can cause a issue with skimmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hmmm .. Evaporation rate about 1 cm per day .. So what u mean is that there is no problem with this kind of evaporation ?

There is skimmate coming out.. But I read that fluctuating water level is no good.. But nv understand why water level can cause a issue with skimmer

put it this way... if your water level is lower .. your pump cant drive the water high enough in the skimmer... bringing down efficiency, more skim area = better efficiency, this of course applies for in sump skimmer models.

and if this is happening.. it also means your sump is constructed in a way the skimmer area doesnt have a fixed water level?

reducing levels of water should mostly occur in the return pump area unless the partition between your skimmer and return pump area is too low? (considering that these two are side by side)

a picture will help a lot.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

bro. i using same model as urs. how come i dun c water flowing out from ur skimmer? i mean de adjust pipe. do u modify it. just ask for advise. :thanks: