can sand be reused?

tiger

• SRC Member

Hi, newbie here need advise.

Upgrading my tank and transfer my fish and LR to a temporary tank.

Will be putting my sandbed in a couple of pail. Can I reused them for my new tank and how to do it and can keep in pail for how long before reused. Must I wash them. Pls help me out, tnks.

Yes you can. The question is how clean is it. As in... free of rotting detritus? If the bacteria and microlife in them like worms, pods, microalgae etc dies.... you have to wash the sand clean before you can reuse it or risk affecting your new tank (if you want to kickstart another cycle with this ammonia source).

how much sand are you talking about pal? Go fish farm and ask for a unwanted foam box (elongated best). Place sand with old aquarium water and run a PH. NO2/3 may rise but who cares. Maintain this way can last a week or 2 without alerting anyone who may call the police becos of a fouling smell.

• SRC Member

tnks, but I a little confused now. I tot if want to reuse, suppose to keep the sand alive, meaning preserving whatever is living so that they can be transfer/used in the new tank.

You mean, I should dried the sand and kill all the organism then wash them clean and reused like buying new sand. :o:o:o