Chiller broke down

kanegan

Last night I heard a 'pop' sound coming from the chiller and the led panel went black. I also detected the burnt rubber/plastic smell.

I quickly disconnected it from the power socket. I am hoping that I just blew a fuse or something simple shorted out.

I just got it 2nd hand from here about one month ago. :eyeblur:

Last night I heard a 'pop' sound coming from the chiller and the led panel went black. I also detected the burnt rubber/plastic smell.

I quickly disconnected it from the power socket. I am hoping that I just blew a fuse or something simple shorted out.

I just got it 2nd hand from here about one month ago. :eyeblur:

sorry bro for ur situation as u discript seem like the compressor short circuit(jam), there for the wire may have partially burn where the smell comes from

no point repairing it anymore as such a brand new compress to replace is about S$150 for a 1/4hp under resun

sorry bro for ur situation as u discript seem like the compressor short circuit(jam), there for the wire may have partially burn where the smell comes from

no point repairing it anymore as such a brand new compress to replace is about S$150 for a 1/4hp under resun

I just got in touch with Derek as recommended by others, based on the description, he thinks it is the thermostat that was fried ( and may even have taken out the fuse along with it....)

I have an option of replacing it with an external thermostat that cost more than what I paid for the chiller. May not be a bad deal since a lot of bros do recommend using the ext one anyway....

He gave me instructions on how to check whether it was the thermostat... will check tonight.

u can try connect it direct power supply to the compressor and see does it work if not working u know la

if it's working than it good for u

ext thermostat need around 90-130

hear from ur out come soon

Sian.. I am an equipment noob. I removed the casing and removed the circuit board.

But I can't figure out what is burnt.

1. The fuse looks opaque so I am assuming that is gone. But blown fuse shouldn't give out smell right?

2. The circuit broad looks fine, can't tell if it is burnt.

3. The other parts looks oily and dirty but I can't tell if they are okay.

Anyway, I can test the individual parts without getting electrocuted or burning down my house?

<!--quoteo(post=891018:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:10 PM:name=stevenkoh08)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevenkoh08 @ Mar 23 2010, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=891018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->u can try connect it direct power supply to the compressor and see does it work if not working u know la

if it's working than it good for u

ext thermostat need around 90-130

hear from ur out come soon<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sian.. I am an equipment noob. I removed the casing and removed the circuit board.

But I can't figure out what is burnt.

1. The fuse looks opaque so I am assuming that is gone. But blown fuse shouldn't give out smell right?

2. The circuit broad looks fine, can't tell if it is burnt.

3. The other parts looks oily and dirty but I can't tell if they are okay.

Anyway, I can test the individual parts without getting electrocuted or burning down my house?

where as u can try to direct connect the main power source to the compressor there's a blue and brwon wire to the two wire where the compreesor have and see does it cut in if yes see whether is it hot at the pipe if ok hot that mean it fine

and chk the fan whether is it working using the same way if everything working than is just the thermostate control panel spoil

• SRC Member

where as u can try to direct connect the main power source to the compressor there's a blue and brwon wire to the two wire where the compreesor have and see does it cut in if yes see whether is it hot at the pipe if ok hot that mean it fine

and chk the fan whether is it working using the same way if everything working than is just the thermostate control panel spoil

Hi bro....

I have just replaced my resun internal thermostat recently.

The spoilt thermostat cause the temperature display not going down when the water temperature already down.

The damage i done for it is SGD30.

You can check on my chiller post in the equipment area.

Thanks.

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

post-13742-12694975978232_thumb.jpg

Does this look like a burnt fuse? But burnt fuse should not give out burnt smell right?

post-13742-12694976588113_thumb.jpg

post-13742-1269497666246_thumb.jpg

post-13742-12694976758094_thumb.jpg

My untrained eyes think that the control panel and thermostat (I am assuming that the thermostat is here and not in the reservoir) looks normal.

What do you think?

post-13742-12694975978232_thumb.jpg

Does this look like a burnt fuse? But burnt fuse should not give out burnt smell right?

post-13742-12694976588113_thumb.jpg

post-13742-1269497666246_thumb.jpg

post-13742-12694976758094_thumb.jpg

My untrained eyes think that the control panel and thermostat (I am assuming that the thermostat is here and not in the reservoir) looks normal.

What do you think?

bro is ur fuse black out liao or the outer casing of the fuse is this color

to me it seem like transparent type if black out means that burnt try replacing it can get from alot of hardware shop bring the sample along

bro is ur fuse black out liao or the outer casing of the fuse is this color

to me it seem like transparent type if black out means that burnt try replacing it can get from alot of hardware shop bring the sample along

Update :

1. The fuse in the picture is confirmed burnt liao. However, last night I managed to continue testing other components by shorting the fuse.

2. The display, thermostat and probe is working. I powered it up and it can read the temperature and 'start' the chiller and heater lights correctly depending on the temperature settings.

3. The fan does not react to the thermostat's control.

4. The compressor does not seem to react to the thermostat's control. (I am assuming the compressor will make sound in addition to the fan's noise)

5. The burnt smell probably came from a piece of wire with the insulation slightly melted....

So it looks like either the compressor or the fan is gone....

No point repairing?

Update :

1. The fuse in the picture is confirmed burnt liao. However, last night I managed to continue testing other components by shorting the fuse.

2. The display, thermostat and probe is working. I powered it up and it can read the temperature and 'start' the chiller and heater lights correctly depending on the temperature settings.

3. The fan does not react to the thermostat's control.

4. The compressor does not seem to react to the thermostat's control. (I am assuming the compressor will make sound in addition to the fan's noise)

5. The burnt smell probably came from a piece of wire with the insulation slightly melted....

So it looks like either the compressor or the fan is gone....

No point repairing?

on what u discribe i may need to see which part of the wire are burnt, reason behind a short circuit of blown fuse is part of the component faulty or overloaded for the fuse to take it.

but seen it original state with no mod being done to it, it shouldn't happen as said.

1.) fan cost around S$50 or higher

2.) compressor cost around S$150

by the way what model u using as so far didn't see u post the model

on what u discribe i may need to see which part of the wire are burnt, reason behind a short circuit of blown fuse is part of the component faulty or overloaded for the fuse to take it.

but seen it original state with no mod being done to it, it shouldn't happen as said.

1.) fan cost around S$50 or higher

2.) compressor cost around S$150

by the way what model u using as so far didn't see u post the model

Resun CL650 manufacture date sometime in 2005 i think it is consider old model.

I am thinking of giving up on it since it is clearly beyond my means to repair and I don't want to spend money to get it inspected only to give up due to repair costs...

The part where I saw the melted wire insulation is at the plastic power connector at the end of the circuit board in my photos.

Only one of the red wires was affected.