Reverse colour fading.

• Senior Reefer

As many would know, some fishes do not hold colour well in the aquarium. be it angles, wrasses, etc. I think the most prone family of fishes to succumb to colour fading will be wrasses, and of course, the infamous scott's fairy. which will fade to literally black in no time.

Not too long ago, i collected a very large slightly over 4 inch cebu pylei wrasse from a reefer here. Cebu pylei differ from the vanuatu pylei counterpart by having a thick black border on their tail, and a black patch on their dorsal fin. When i first received it, it had a very brilliant red colouration but it had lost the black on the tail and fin, which i love. however, the fish was still a gorgeous specimen.

i realised recently that the black is returning from this fish! it has been in captivity for years and was passed down from reefer to reefer, and i'm currently the 3rd person holding it. to my knowledge, the black has been gone for quite awhile. It is starting to develop the black on the tail and dorsal once more! so i'm very pleased. this is my first time experiencing reverse colour fading in wrasses, in my tank.

not sure if it's lighting, diet or the community it is in. anyone with similar experience with other fishes? please share! its great to see faded fishes regain their colours, although i seldom see that happening. will be an industrial break through is someone manages to retain the lovely colours of a scott's fairy, much less BRING IT BACK FROM BLACK!!

post-15755-1268571188_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1268571197_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1268571204_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1268571211_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer
It is possible... With them actively flashing...

never see it flashing before. but it does like my rhomboid very very much. will swim along side the rhomboid and twitch the two pelvic fins. and open up all the fins. maybe this is one reason for the return in colour.

but want to see more of such cases! wonder if anyone can or isit possible to reverse an extremely faded fish?

• Senior Reefer
Hmmm... What other fishes?

i dunno? there are some fishes that don't retain colours right? or isit only wrasses? notice some anthias also fade colours to shadows of their former glory. could be diet related? lack of carotenoid pigments? in that case cyclopeeze might help i think. or in this case, haremic withdrawl could also play a part.

what's most important is the success of regaining their colours. must urge more reefers to post pics and share if they do have fishes that fade colours and regain.

i dunno? there are some fishes that don't retain colours right? or isit only wrasses? notice some anthias also fade colours to shadows of their former glory. could be diet related? lack of carotenoid pigments? in that case cyclopeeze might help i think. or in this case, haremic withdrawl could also play a part.

what's most important is the success of regaining their colours. must urge more reefers to post pics and share if they do have fishes that fade colours and regain.

I think might be due to the activeness of the fishes? When flaring/displaying, their color will change drastically... So I guess the lack of these display/flaring action will led to the fading of color?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer
I think might be due to the activeness of the fishes? When flaring/displaying, their color will change drastically... So I guess the lack of these display/flaring action will led to the fading of color?

yeah maybe. i think diet and light also plays a part. i have seen "bleached" yellow and blue tangs before...

also notice in some cases, the fish fades in colour as it ages. seen those tangs, angels and even gobies!, that drop alot of colour after years in captivity.

yeah maybe. i think diet and light also plays a part. i have seen "bleached" yellow and blue tangs before...

also notice in some cases, the fish fades in colour as it ages. seen those tangs, angels and even gobies!, that drop alot of colour after years in captivity.

I think is the diet... But there are very brightly colored "old" Blue tang around in some oversea reefer's tank.

Member of:

• SRC Member

i had the honour of visiting Rogertt's tank before he decommed, and it was an awesome wrasse collection.. his wrasses were also able to maintain their colours (to a large extent).. so i believe the reason might be like what bro Terry mentioned, activeness in flashing/company, as well as diet..

p.s. feeding bananas (taught by Roger), loaded with potassium, increases activeness in fishes, MIGHT help.. but its just my conjecture, no proof yet.. :)

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus Scottorum, the scott's fairy wrasse, till date has everyone baffled on why their colours dissapear with time. we're not talking about partial fading, but complete fading to literally BLACK. i used to be doubtful until i saw a 5 inch one that is totally black.

its true some wrasses lose their nuptual colours, but its unusual for one to lose ALL colours. that's just weird and so far there hasn't been anyone i know who managed to prevent this loss of colour. not even harems of females, nor competitive rival males work. people even try cyclopeeze too but to no avail.

i have been regularly feeding my fishes bananas and other fruits with no adverse effects, but no descernable difference either. have since stopped since there's no change IMO.

Anthias and Wrasses lose their colours easily in captivity. Small tank, strong lights, poor diet, less than ideal water conditions and lack of a big harem are common reasons causing their colors to fade. Some fishes retain their colours better than others. Like Squarebacks and bimaculatus will lose it's vibrant red and pink in the shortest time while bartlett can hold it's colours pretty well even if kept alone. Wrasses being scott's fairy the hardest to maintain its colours. Most scotts will fade to a dull dark greenish blue. However cook island scotts are known to have a brighter colours and able to hold their colours better than australian ones. So it depends on geographical collection as well. Some of the most colourful wrasses and anthias are found in public aquariums or in very big tanks which most of us are not able to maintain.

Anthias and Wrasses lose their colours easily in captivity. Small tank, strong lights, poor diet, less than ideal water conditions and lack of a big harem are common reasons causing their colors to fade. Some fishes retain their colours better than others. Like Squarebacks and bimaculatus will lose it's vibrant red and pink in the shortest time while bartlett can hold it's colours pretty well even if kept alone. Wrasses being scott's fairy the hardest to maintain its colours. Most scotts will fade to a dull dark greenish blue. However cook island scotts are known to have a brighter colours and able to hold their colours better than australian ones. So it depends on geographical collection as well. Some of the most colourful wrasses and anthias are found in public aquariums or in very big tanks which most of us are not able to maintain.

I think mainly is the huge harem that will make them have the bright color and the diet they have in the wild...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

yes. agreed ^

alot of people fail to realise that wrasses and anthias don't exists in pairs or trios in the wild. they exist in large harems. so that's a reason i guess.

yes. agreed ^

alot of people fail to realise that wrasses and anthias don't exists in pairs or trios in the wild. they exist in large harems. so that's a reason i guess.

It is also becos of our tank size, thats why the max ppl go for trio... I bet your male flasher should have a brighter color right?

Member of:

• Senior Reefer
It is also becos of our tank size, thats why the max ppl go for trio... I bet your male flasher should have a brighter color right?

my flashers i keep them with 6 females each female is 1 to 1.5 inch. the flasher is the only one i kept in a "harem" because they are cheap and easily found. and remain small unlike most fairies. the male is yah very very colourful and alpha. but recently he stopped expressing as much interest in the females. guess thats the downfall in having a small harem? :( bored easily? haha