Nassarius snails hardworking?

mengyang_neo

Hi bro/sis is SAND CLEANERS - Nassarius snails hard working? I have hair aglae growing on my liverock, will they be able to clear them, aglae blenny is not doing a great job in my tank. Dun want to add tang also cause they tend to be aggressive later and difficult for me to add fishes later.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member
Hi bro/sis is SAND CLEANERS - Nassarius snails hard working? I have hair aglae growing on my liverock, will they be able to clear them, aglae blenny is not doing a great job in my tank. Dun want to add tang also cause they tend to be aggressive later and difficult for me to add fishes later.

regarding hair algae growing on liverock,

i dont think Nassarius Snails will help much..

but yes,

they are hardworking...

never fail to come out of the sand during feeding time..

The Nassarius Snail is an efficient scavenger and detritus eater.

You will be surprised at how quickly a small group of Nassarius Snails will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste.

i think they (4 of them) took out my dead copperband in a few days that i cant even find its body..

The snail also helps to aerate the sand.

Need to have DSB cos they will be burried underneath most of the time unless its feeding time..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

OOps i thought they will eat algae, =p hmm if they will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste then it is good to have also. Anyone know whether iwrana still have any left? Thanks.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

• SRC Member
OOps i thought they will eat algae, =p hmm if they will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste then it is good to have also. Anyone know whether iwrana still have any left? Thanks.

Ah Beng has. Saw yesterday. RB also. CF almost always carries.

NAssa snails are carnivorous. They don't eat algae. Is good to have if you have a big tank with liverocks as they will consume any dead fish trapped inside the rockscape that you don't want to bother tearing down. You can have 4 per gallon of water.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Ah Beng has. Saw yesterday. RB also. CF almost always carries.

NAssa snails are carnivorous. They don't eat algae. Is good to have if you have a big tank with liverocks as they will consume any dead fish trapped inside the rockscape that you don't want to bother tearing down. You can have 4 per gallon of water.

hmm i see, r they expensive?

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member
hmm i see, r they expensive?

Range: .2 - .4 red notes.

Note: They don't clean your sand bed, they stir it so that it's never stagnant enough for algae to take a foot hold. You will still need to vacuum your sand.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

As all have mentioned... these snails are great for eating decaying dead fishes... leftover foods and detrius etc...

For hair algae... if i am not wrong only Yellow tang/tomini tang... that genus eats it... u can check online for more info.

• Senior Reefer
As all have mentioned... these snails are great for eating decaying dead fishes... leftover foods and detrius etc...

For hair algae... if i am not wrong only Yellow tang/tomini tang... that genus eats it... u can check online for more info.

yellow tangs belong to the genus zebrasoma. in my experience, these tangs prefer softer algae and don't really go after hair algae as aggressively as tomini tangs. these are in the genus (ctenochaetus). both tangs look similar in shape but are of different genus and have different preferance for algae.

for best algae busting tangs, go for the ctenochaetus tangs, commonly known as bristletooths. comprising of the commonly offered tomini and kole eye tangs. but hair algae may not be readily taken as it may be quite unpalatable. in that case, a sea hare will be a better option.

yellow tangs belong to the genus zebrasoma. in my experience, these tangs prefer softer algae and don't really go after hair algae as aggressively as tomini tangs. these are in the genus (ctenochaetus). both tangs look similar in shape but are of different genus and have different preferance for algae.

for best algae busting tangs, go for the ctenochaetus tangs, commonly known as bristletooths. comprising of the commonly offered tomini and kole eye tangs. but hair algae may not be readily taken as it may be quite unpalatable. in that case, a sea hare will be a better option.

Yup auntie from coral farm also suggest the same thing, but the sea hare she show me look quite big. I am thinking when it move around my liverock will it push down my coral? This is the only concern as my coral all r only place on top of the rock. :thanks:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• Senior Reefer
Yup auntie from coral farm also suggest the same thing, but the sea hare she show me look quite big. I am thinking when it move around my liverock will it push down my coral? This is the only concern as my coral all r only place on top of the rock. :thanks:

ahbeng sometimes have very small sea hares.