Where to purchase MH and price?

• SRC Member

Hi ppl,

I'm thinking of converting to MH lighting. As I will setting a new 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet hight cube tank.

Where can I purchase gd cheap MH and how much will it cost.

Lastly for the bulb for the MH, how long can it be use be I required to replace it? And how much is the bulb.

Thanx

• SRC Member

2 x 2 x 3ft high tank is too deep... but would be nice to scape it w cliffs, and plating corals... definitely u cant go for 150w mh as my tank of 2ft high my 150w could hardly penetrate in full brightness... 250w could be possible but still ask the more experienced ... 400w should be good i believe, but considering ur l & w of 2 x 2, think its gonna make ur room too bright.. hehehe....

u can get mh from victron, as most have taken from there, bulb would last about 10-12 months (correct me if im wrong) but would also depend on ur photoperiod.... for bulb prices, it depends... victron is selling blv 250w 10k and 20k se for $110

• SRC Member

I dont think by the time I stock up the hight for my coral wont be 3 feet even thought I uses 3 feet hight.

It would would be about 28 inches high only.

Also I will be placing the MH not more then 3 inches from the surface of my water.

Lastly with MH lighting how long can the photo period be? I usually on for about 7 hrs.

• SRC Member

the mh set without bulb is selling for $75+gst... that is for a 400w, the 250w used to have the same price, but a few days back, they ran out of 250w so due to the demand, they converted the 40w to 250w therefore increasing the price due to labour.. just check w victron how much they r selling now....

$110 is just for the blv bulbs....

victron is located at 705 sims drive #06-07

usual photoperiod i have been recommended is between 10-12hrs... as for the depth, if u would consider 3 inches, above water, not really sure, but i am determining the penetration of light to the base/bottom of ur setup