Fish ID system

• SRC Member

Hi all, I have a small project that I was working on previously and would like you all to help give me some feedback on it.

Basically its a system that aims to help scuba divers identify marine animals online. It can be used by biologists, reefers and fishermen too

Currently I only have limited data in the database for Fish category and most bugs have been sorted out (i hope) so its kindof in open beta mode on a make shift server. connection might be a little slow so pls bear with it.

http://fids.scubuddies.com/

no specific format for feedback, just shoot n i'll try and make sense of it. =) thanks all!

also thanks to bro Lemon who helped me on the project! credit will be give where credit is due once this goes online proper.

• Senior Reefer

hi bro markie. its been a pleasure doing it for you! my holidays have started and don't mind helping you in my free time :) will do it out of good will this time to maybe pass some time :) PM me if you need help again! and thanks for the wonderful opportunity you have provided me in the few weeks i have spent. it developed my interest in fish and scientific names. ID-ing stuff for me is much easier now.

• SRC Member

Very nice & neat website. Great effort and must have taken you a lot of time to do it. :)

Just my 5ct comment...takes longer to look for a certain fish as there are too many steps and the user may not know, e.g., which region the fish comes from, hence, will be tough to locate that required species. Probably easier for users if there is a main page showing main 'category' (fish, turtle, shrimps, etc), follow by 'family' (for fish) and 'species' (for others such as shrimps & turtles), next would be pictures of all the species under that group, and once the user found his species, he can click on that picture to see the detailed info which could include its habitat and behaviour.

• SRC Member

Starting from the geographical region is very good for scuba divers or anglers. For peeps with no knowledge on the geographical region, starting with the generic shape or species will be good. So perhaps sister sites - one geared towards the aquarists and another for scuba divers/anglers.

Having the need to click forward button is a pain. Forward should be automatic once the selection is made. Backward button is fine. It'll be useful when users want to go back after an wrong selection.

For any website, the less click count, the better.

Good Job.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

this ID system is geared towards divers, and not so much for aquarium folks. for divers diving and know where they are, this is great for them since they know the region, etc. but for aquarists, it may not be so helpful. i agree with iskay on the arrow thingy.

i hope i got it right, correct me if im wrong :P

• SRC Member
Starting from the geographical region is very good for scuba divers or anglers. For peeps with no knowledge on the geographical region, starting with the generic shape or species will be good. So perhaps sister sites - one geared towards the aquarists and another for scuba divers/anglers.

Having the need to click forward button is a pain. Forward should be automatic once the selection is made. Backward button is fine. It'll be useful when users want to go back after an wrong selection.

For any website, the less click count, the better.

Good Job.

some pages allow for multiple selection, for example under habitat and behavior pages which is why the next button is there. will look into this on how to reduce the no of clicks, thanks!

• SRC Member
hi bro markie. its been a pleasure doing it for you! my holidays have started and don't mind helping you in my free time :) will do it out of good will this time to maybe pass some time :) PM me if you need help again! and thanks for the wonderful opportunity you have provided me in the few weeks i have spent. it developed my interest in fish and scientific names. ID-ing stuff for me is much easier now.

pm will be sent soon! hehe i need help again if you can spare the time during your holidays. =)

• SRC Member
this ID system is geared towards divers, and not so much for aquarium folks. for divers diving and know where they are, this is great for them since they know the region, etc. but for aquarists, it may not be so helpful. i agree with iskay on the arrow thingy.

i hope i got it right, correct me if im wrong :P

thanks bro lemon for replying. as what he mentioned, this is not the best workflow for reefers to id fish. however when we have more resources, we will definitely adapt the database to a more reefer friendly interface

also if anyone don't mind contributing photos to the database, please do pm or email me. thanks!