keeping eel

dnsfpl

anyone can share their experience in eel keeping?

did some research, notice they are escape artist

are they really that good like FW crayfish?

what species should i keep?

looking at hardy, active, slow growth, bright colours

thanks in advance

• Senior Reefer

could be a ribbon eel. juveniles are black. males are blue and females are yellow. extremely hard to keep, almost all refuse to feed after capture.

you can try snowflake eel... very hardy. but eat small fishes.

google the eels you mention, none look similar

saw it years ago in a reefer's tank

iirc, he told me its purchase at marinelife(henry) for app $60

i think i will stick to snowflake first to gain some experience in eel keeping

thanks

google the eels you mention, none look similar

saw it years ago in a reefer's tank

iirc, he told me its purchase at marinelife(henry) for app $60

i think i will stick to snowflake first to gain some experience in eel keeping

thanks

Might be G. Millaris... Banana Eel..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

the head look very similar, but i dont remember seeing so many black patches

cheers

Maybe G. melatremus. But u mentioned gotten at $60 is quite impossible for this fish. G. melatremus is perhaps the most suitable for your tank if u can get hold of one as it's smallest, really small rarely exceeding 12 inches and is safe with most fishes tat we keep which is too big for it to swallow.

I like moray eel but most jux grow big and will limit the variety of fishes in the tank.

Maybe G. melatremus. But u mentioned gotten at $60 is quite impossible for this fish. G. melatremus is perhaps the most suitable for your tank if u can get hold of one as it's smallest, really small rarely exceeding 12 inches and is safe with most fishes tat we keep which is too big for it to swallow.

I like moray eel but most jux grow big and will limit the variety of fishes in the tank.

Melatremus, so far havent seen in singapore.. maybe i haven.. even if have the price will be well above 200..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

I've kept a ghost eel before.. Ivory coloured.. very easy.. the hard part prevent it from going through your overflow or jump over your tank.. yes.. they are good enough to jump out of a tank. That was what happened to mine in a 2ft and 4ft. It jumped out quite a number of times , few times in the sump and few times landed on the floor.. I've kept it for more than a yr till it went into the sump got sucked into the return pump :(.

They may look small and thin but they can eat mollies.. so beware of the fish size you have..

Oh BTW eels stink quite bad.. once I my room had a stench so I went looking around.. saw the eel on the floor :?.. Thats how bad..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
planning to get a 7" snowflake

do you think my 5" lionfish will makan it?

thanks

don't think so keep them before not good jumpers compared to ribbon eels

I feed it with frozen small prawns for my case It didn't attack my fishes if I fed it regularly except for once <_<

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg