Tank Decision... What's the best thing to do

Fuzz

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I need some advise.

I got a 2.5x1.5x1.5 ft tank from my sis. tempered Glass 10mm tank.

Should I set up a bigger tank and make this into a refugium/sump or should I setup this as my main tank and get a sump tank...

Is it effective then becos I can't drill a hole for the tank for the sump...

What's the best thing to do? :erm:

You don't have to drill holes into the tank to make it a sump... you probably just need to silicon partitions in it for baffles.

Besides, once the glass is tempered, you can't drill it.

It's up to you to decide if you want a bigger tank or not. :) We really can't decide for you! ;)

• SRC Member

Thanks AT,

I think I will start with what I have... I went to a LFS today and they quoted $2,900 for a 4ftx2ftx2.5ft with sump and cabinet... Should not be a problem to use tempered glass tank for reef right? Cos the LFS person says that it is meant for planted tank... not good for reef.

Pls Advise.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

:huh::o:erm:

They claim they are Established since 1986... #$ Aquarium... not Aquatechnics, but my2.5ft tank was bought from there... any problems to use tempered in reef?

Anyway, their tank really look good... their sump tank actually has a spinning spray bar... but just too ex for me... anyway, thx for the PM..

Ordinary untreated glass will not shatter immediately but will develop cracks first but upon shattering, will be breaking into shards of very sharp glass, enough to kill or badly maimed anyone within range.

Basically, tempered glass is lot more stronger but once stressed or hit, will shatter into thousands of rounded bits without sharp edges.

IMO, It's safer to use tempered glass in most sense... like car windshields, but you have to be careful not to throw things around the house. :)

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: Thanks guys,

You've been a great help... just another question... since it is Tempered and cannot be drilled... There's no way to have a sump tank... would that be effective then if I were to start a reef tank with fishes without sump, only LR & sand & PS (Remora AquaC) or should I sell away this tank and build one from scratch...

Pls Advise.

• SRC Member

Will a DSB & PS be good enough without sump? What if I hv a external filter, will that help? Or is sump the best way ?

• SRC Member

A sump tank is a good way to increase total water volume, hide ulgy equipement, easing of dosing etc. Plus the use of an overfolw ensure a crystal clear water surface. If you dont have a sumpe, just bar tank, best if get a surface skimmer. Not to mention need to use canister filter which complicate maintainence.

unless going for a all natural system like Berlin or deep sand bed. But will not have any mechanical or chemical filtration.

And like AT said, tempered glass dont crack, they shatter. Thats why normally not used. eg. if you happen to drop a big piece os live rock on the bottom and theres no substrate, the bottom or side can either hold or might shatter like a car's wind screen and the tank will literally explode spilling water and LS outwards.

For normal glass, normally if mishaps do happens the glass will either hold or if it breaks, normally a crack and water start leaking out. Much less harzard and got time to clear the tank first.

Anyway abigger tank is easier to maintain, why not go for a bigger tank and use it for a sump. Just got glass maker and cut glass to size and stick it on with silicon. but just my 2cts worth. B)B)

• SRC Member

Thanks AT,Terry & Tanggy,

Will consider a new tank setup... and hopefully be able to use the my current tank... will work out a budget and read up on reef tank...

:thanks: