Kalkwasser

marlin

Hi,

Recently started to get into LPS and currently using Seachem's Reef Calcium. I know it's not the same as adding Kalkwasser.

How do you guys apply Kalkwasser? The instructions say to mix it in 4 litre of water per teaspoon...and then what? Pour the solution into the tank? Don't think so right?

Appreciate the advice! :P

• SRC Member

I cannot give u a better advise as I never use before too.. but I consulted some experience reefer that after mixing, you got to wait a while let the undissolve subside, then dip to your tank ONLY the clear solution on top.. throw the residue away..

Guess I need more member to share their experience..

Tank 4x2x2.5

Kalkwasser has a very high PH.... pouring it into your tank will cause a PH spike, stressing or killing your tank inhabitants.

You have to administer kalkwasser by dosing or dripping it slowly... preferably at night so it will help to maintain your PH levels in your tank at a constant level (as PH drops at night).

For advanced aquarist who know what they are doing, they can mix the slurry into a highly turbulent area of their sump (anthony calfo method)... the risk is undissolved kalk particles burning livestock or pumps being choked/damaged due to kalk/calcium deposits buildup.

Do it the safe way... drip it.

• SRC Member

For my case, I add 1/4 teaspoon into a 500ml of water and then shake well and pour it into my sump where there is high water flow.

So far never encounter any problem. You can give my method a try.

One things, my kh and ph buffer r in good condition. Maybe that explain why.

• SRC Member
For my case, I add 1/4 teaspoon into a 500ml of water and then shake well and pour it into my sump where there is high water flow.

So far never encounter any problem. You can give my method a try.

One things, my kh and ph buffer r in good condition. Maybe that explain why.

hi alan

u add the whole mixture or just the clear solution

Hi AT

Recently bot kalkwasser, trying to DIY a drip for it..other than drip, can u apply it in to the sump little by little

Sure.... but the drip method is less time-wasting... end up, you'll just pour everything in... hahahah... the slurry method is probably applicable to those with big tanks/water volume.

• SRC Member

Sure.... but the drip method is less time-wasting... end up, you'll just pour everything in... hahahah... the slurry method is probably applicable to those with big tanks/water volume.

Well if no patience to apply it slowly, better pour the rest into the toilet rather than into the tank..if not ph spike killing tank inhabitants lagi no patience to clear dead fishes later.. :lol::lol::lol:

One question: how many water to a teaspoon of kalk..my instruction reads 5 litre, some say 4 litre, someone told me 1 litre.

well, i m using the drip method for adding kalk into my tank. hv not added calcium or magnesium into my tank b4. what additives i hv now r strotium, iodide, trace elements....... AT, do i need to add calcium and magnesium or any other additives? apologise for hijacking this thread.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

You are adding calcium & alkalinity with kalk. But kalkwasser does not add a lot of calcium enough for hard corals esp. SPS. For a softy tank, it may suffice.

The only way is to measure your calcium depletion rate.

Using a ca reactor or dosing calcium chloride is the best way to add large amounts of calcium to your tank, not kalk dosing.

If you are using a CA reactor, that should provide most of the trace elements already, except iodine & magnesium (which can be added via pure dolomite in the CA reactor).

• SRC Member

i think the reason why I never encounter any problem is because I never add much into my tank. I just pour 1/4 or 1/2 the tea spoon into a 500ml and shake and then pour every last bit into the sump.

which is amount of vol compare to my tank vol is way off... that's why it does not affect me..