fish jus dead!

akumanohi

guys and expertise,i realli need a piece of advice now!! my emperor jus dead!! i already saw him like strengthless this noon~ i was kinda worry,thot it is ok,but who noes jus i saw him died! sob sob~ i've tested the water jus onli, found that everything is over the line, so i decided to change a pail of water... erm... guy, do u think that this will help? any piece of advice can share with mi to mantain the water well and let the fish live long? and where could i still find an emperor abt 2" big? i wish to replace it... very appreciate if u share with mi ur advice~ thanks~

• SRC Member

Yeah... Changing water will help... And if you say that everything is over the line (including ammonia and NO2) then probably you have not allowed your tank to cycle properly or overstocked too fast....

So for now just let the tank cycle for itself and worry about buying more LS only after the ammonia and NO2 reaches zero...

oic~ okok~ erm... so u mean now is to change the water and dun add any more things in izzit? till it is all stable already then put in yA? and i have 1 more Q for u is that how to speed up the tank cycle? (erm btw, my tank is already a mth old~)AT mentioned last time that he added died squid to increase ammonia,wad is that for? could that increase the cycle speed?

• SRC Member

Firstly yeah... Do not add anything until your ammonia and nitrite is zero.... That's really important cause fishes and especially inverts will surely die if ammonia and nitrite is high....

Secondly... Adding dead squid or prawn is to start the cycling process.... The rotting squid or prawn will produce ammonia, which be converted to nitrite and the less harmful nitrate IN TIME....

As for speeding up the cycling process you can go buy the liquid bacteria to add.... Yup..... Most professional LFS would sell... Make sure you follow the instructions closely and turn off skimmer when adding the liquid....

And finally... Ermm... after running a month... (Unless you haven't added ANY LS or rotting stuff inside to kick start the cycling and just let your tank run empty) it should be more or less cycled already what.... Perhaps you just overstocked your tank.... If that is so then the ammonia and nitrite should diminish faster after you have removed your dead fishes....

Do go read up on cycling, dude.... And all the best, man.... Hope you'll always love this wonderful hobby!!

You better cycle your water like what blacknials recomend.And make sure you test your water parameter and it is ok b4 you start adding livestock again.

Alll the best

Regards

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Akumanohi, be patient and slowly stock up your tank. Patience is important in this hobby and since you are still pretty new to this hobby, i suggest that you start off with fishes that are easier to keep.

On the amount of fishes that you can keep in your 3ft tank, it was suggested in a book i read that for the 1st 6 mths of ur tank, stick to 1" of fish per 4 gallons of water. After 6 months as ur tank become more mature, u can keep up to 1" of fish per 2 gallons of water. Of course this suggested level could only be vaild if you are able to mantain an adequate water parameter in your tank. Anyway, if you are keeping a reef tank, better not have too many fishes as it would be difficult to mantain the nitrate level if so.

There are sensitive fishes and there are also hardy fishes.

Angels, tangs and a vast majority of marine fishes fall into the first category.

For beginners like yourself, you can try your hand at clownfishes and damsels... these are pretty much bullet-proof figuratively speaking.

Once your knowledge on reef-keeping improves at the same time your tank matures... you can then attempt harder fishes.

You have much to learn if you're still puzzled about the cycling process.

• SRC Member

You have much to learn, Padawan.... :D

Better get your basics right (Cycling, Nitrogen Cycle) before you add any fishes....

Well, we all went through that phase of "see one fish, like one fish, buy one fish"... but you have to resist the temptation...

Patience is the essence to good reefing... ;)

• SRC Member

Osmosis and akumonachi same person??

Hmmm..do u you check your water parameters??..or else we cannot conclude what is the cause of your fishes death. Since your tank is only one month old, probable cause of your fishes death could be because there is detectable ammonia and nitrite level in your tank.(probably only). Stop stocking up fishes and let ammonia and nitrite to get down to zero. Changing water would only reduce the nitrate level. Read up more on the fishes you buy. Reccomend you to go to www.liveaquaria.com