Surge System

Terryz_

Been toying with the idea of incorporating a Surge System into my new tank... Have only seen the system thru some RC tank build, but never seen one in action before. Wondering if anyone in Singapore is using it.

Thanks..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Supporter
Been toying with the idea of incorporating a Surge System into my new tank... Have only seen the system thru some RC tank build, but never seen one in action before. Wondering if anyone in Singapore is using it.

Thanks..

Check out the large reef pond at Iwarna. It has a large blue bucket built as a surge device.

• SRC Supporter
I am more concerned about the increase in water volume and the overflow compartment when the surge is activated.

That's a definite. Displaced volume. Another concern will be micro bubbles.

That's a definite. Displaced volume. Another concern will be micro bubbles.

I know but the thing is that my overflow will be lower than normal to contain the surge volume?

Microbubble is always a problem for surge but there are ways to minimise it if not wrong... Haven gone so indepth yet.. LOL..

Member of:

• SRC Supporter
I know but the thing is that my overflow will be lower than normal to contain the surge volume?

Microbubble is always a problem for surge but there are ways to minimise it if not wrong... Haven gone so indepth yet.. LOL..

Large outlets and overflow boxes would be required to handle the surge volume.

It also depends very much on the intended surge volume (volume buildup prior to triggering the surge)

After researching on surge system... I have decided to go with Reverse Carlson Surge Device aka RCSD... Because it doesnt produce bubble when activated except it takes up a lot of space...

The device make use of pressure air from air pump into a sealed container which will force the water in the container to be pump out and once the air reach a certain level it will escape out from the container via another pipe and the water rush back into the container creating the surge in the tank...

But now need to source out a alternative material to make the device... They normally use 4-6 inch pipe to act as the container...

This is what a fellow RC reefer show me...

RCSD.jpg

Member of:

chimalogy.

saw the link but still dunno how it works in a tank.

cannot relate to link also.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
This is what I come up with... Not sure it it would work...

RCSD-1.jpg

I think you would need a pretty strong air pump in order to create the air pressure within the container you are using.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

chimalogy.

saw the link but still dunno how it works in a tank.

cannot relate to link also.

Haha... It took me a few days to get how it really works...

It works as a wavemaker and give random water movement in tank setup... But I feel, it work effective in bigger tank becos it is difficult to get random flow in a big tank without using a large number of wavemaker...

for me i also don't really get it more like a auto top off system??

or is there anymore detail link then the one above??

like what is the use or any benefit for???

I try to see if I can find any better links...

It is used as a substitute for wavemaker...

Member of:

• SRC Member
Haha... It took me a few days to get how it really works...

It works as a wavemaker and give random water movement in tank setup... But I feel, it work effective in bigger tank becos it is difficult to get random flow in a big tank without using a large number of wavemaker...

I try to see if I can find any better links...

It is used as a substitute for wavemaker...

Also a surge system also very random flow...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

I think you would need a pretty strong air pump in order to create the air pressure within the container you are using.

They state any aquarium air pump will do... But I think a higher output airpump will be good... The idea is to get the water out first and den next the air pumped in the container will escape creating space for the water to flow back into the container thus creating a surge when the container sucks in the water from the tank... It is not using the output from the container rather it is using the effect of the water flowing back into the device to create water movement...

Member of:

• SRC Member

Can try using a toilet ball float instead... :P Saw a DIY in RC that used a toilet ball float in the surge container.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

It will require a solenoid to control the opening and closing of the valve in the surge container via a timer... So that t will not suck air in when the water level is already near the outlet...

A air vent will help at the elbow piping where the water will come out but it seems like it will only reduce and not completely eliminate all the bubbles...

The solenoid will require someone with electronic skills which I dun have... LOL... to connect the timer to the solenoid and to the valve... something like that.. All too complicated, i just briefly looked at the pic....

Member of: