Help to ID Fish

• SRC Member
Just bought this fish. Was told it is some kind of wrasse. I would appreciate if any bro can ID this fish and advise if it is reef safe. I have both LPS and SPS in my tank. I also have a Sally Light-foot crab.

Thanks

Image too blurry but looks like a Hector's Goby - Amblygobius hectori

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

looks to me like a juvenile Halichoeres ornatissimus. sometimes known as the christmas wrasse.

the fish will turn red as it age, and the final colour will be blue-green and red.

2nd picture shows adult, 1st picture shows IP phase and last pic shows juvenile.

post-15755-1263814196.jpg

post-15755-1263814359_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1263814364_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Thank you bro Iskay and LemonLemon for your help. Found out this is the juvenile of coris flavovittata. This cute little fella will grow into a 50 cm monster. Not reef compatible. Poor survival rate as juvenile. Will let it grow-out in my Cheato tank.

coris flavovittata is very seldom imported.. the juvenile of this fish does not have the occelated eye spot on the fin above. am quite sure its the christmas wrasse. agree letting it grow out first is better. make sure to provide a sand bed, as this fish needs a sand to sleep in at night. (even if its a coris or a christmas wrasse.)

coris flavovittata is very seldom imported.. the juvenile of this fish does not have the occelated eye spot on the fin above. am quite sure its the christmas wrasse. agree letting it grow out first is better. make sure to provide a sand bed, as this fish needs a sand to sleep in at night. (even if its a coris or a christmas wrasse.)

You are right, the juvenile of the coris flavovittata does not have the eye spot. Went straight for the sand bed when I release it. Will most likely be mia for the next 3 days. Anyway, the Christmas wrasse looks better.

• SRC Member
You are right, the juvenile of the coris flavovittata does not have the eye spot. Went straight for the sand bed when I release it. Will most likely be mia for the next 3 days. Anyway, the Christmas wrasse looks better.

You're taking a huge risk buying without a proper ID first. Later munch on your corals if you puot in your coral tank. :lol:

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

You're taking a huge risk buying without a proper ID first. Later munch on your corals if you puot in your coral tank. :lol:

You are right, it is a big risk. Sometimes when I see something nice and it is not too expensive, I will get it first and do research later. Otherwise the fish may not be there when you want it.

This is really tough one... I am leaning more towards coris flavovittata due to the lines... But it is just too small to decide it species.. But if you are really keen to know the ID, you can email Wetwebmedia... I am sure they will be able to answer you...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

If Terryz and Lemon cannot have a confirm ID, it's gonna be tough. Please sent a clearer photo. Cheers.

• SRC Member

The adult phase looks completely different.... Hope you still love it when it morphed. LOL :lol:

Your fat YT is superb. really caught my eye.

The adult phase looks completely different.... Hope you still love it when it morphed. LOL :lol:

Your fat YT is superb. really caught my eye.

I am looking forward to it changing to adult form.

My YT is very agressive. It team up with my Blue Tang to kill my Purple Tang.