6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

My AT reported back to Tang heaven today so I am left with 4 tangs now.

Hopefully none of the others follow the AT back to heaven.

Downside: Very sad that I lost/murdered a fish

Upside: Less stress and lesser bioload for the tank to process.

Will not add any new tangs for the next 6 months to help the tank fully stabilised

• SRC Member
My AT reported back to Tang heaven today so I am left with 4 tangs now.

Hopefully none of the others follow the AT back to heaven.

Downside: Very sad that I lost/murdered a fish

Upside: Less stress and lesser bioload for the tank to process.

Will not add any new tangs for the next 6 months to help the tank fully stabilised

sorry for ur lost bro ;)

No worries bro... will try again an a later stage.. will work on further improving water quality...

Nah not your fault actually... ATdoes have very low survival rate.... To allow one to suvive successfully like bro roidan one many others have to die, for example yours.. Thus i seriously hope reefer understand this and stop the purchase of AT

Nah not your fault actually... ATdoes have very low survival rate.... To allow one to suvive successfully like bro roidan one many others have to die, for example yours.. Thus i seriously hope reefer understand this and stop the purchase of AT

You also contribute one right?? :P

Would a black tang have a higher chance of survival when compared to an AT?

Maybe I will get an AT only when it has stabilised enuff for a few weeks at the LFS and greedily eating pellets etc etc.

Definately black tang from the zebrasoma genusare alot more hardy.... In fact one of the more hardy tang

Alfa, sorry to hear abt your AT. But have you found out the reason and what is causing the stress to the fishes?

I think if this is not solved then getting an AT that is eating well will still not solve the problem as they are very easily stressed.

Talking abt this, I am still trying to get my AT onto pellets or mysis. now it just takes NORI only. Luckily it has just started on selcon+garlic soaked Nori. Need to flood the tank with nori just to get it to eat. Skimmer needs to work OT because of that.

• SRC Member

Weileong, no idea on what could be the cause of the stress to the AT. Maybe, can it be the suspended particles in the water?

or the stray current in the Water?

I really dunno what could cause the AT to be so stressed and the eventual demise from ICH.

Could be the stray current.

As for suspended particles and micro bubbles I do have it in my tank for the 2 months that my AT had been with me till I changed my sump 2 weeks ago.

If I remember your tank also has the protection of UV and O3 + the use of RO water.

Could it be that you had been dipping your hands into your tank? Or even if pple walking pass the tank could have stress them out.

• SRC Member

How did you solve your suspended particles problem weileong?

No more using Ozone since i do not know if the skimmer i am using is ozone-safe or not.

Using 36W of UV that is in a close loop at the sump. Will connect this UV unit to the main tank close loop as below:

Main Tank-Canister-UV-Main Tank

I changed my sump and the new sump does not have a refigium and what I observed is that there is no more suspended particles.

My new sump also designed so that there is min recycling of skimmed water by the skimmer so the skimmer works at full efficiency.

The net results is super crystal clear water wihout any suspended particles.

• SRC Member
I changed my sump and the new sump does not have a refigium and what I observed is that there is no more suspended particles.

My new sump also designed so that there is min recycling of skimmed water by the skimmer so the skimmer works at full efficiency.

The net results is super crystal clear water wihout any suspended particles.

without the refugim, what is your alternate to export NO3?

Alfa, if your tank is near the TV, it is also the stress factor....maybe 'human traffic' too! :)

• SRC Member
Prevent NO3 in the first place! Did you heard the word preventation is better than cure :P

Skim till there is no tomorrow! Oh maybe I need another skimmer kekekeke.

The rest let the DSB handle when it matures

yup. prevention is definitely good, but with the way you feed, and I feed, sure NO3 boom!...skimmer, half capacity of your only lar.... :paiseh:

I feed a lot lesser now. My FOWLR 4-6 cubes mysis/day and the 4ft 2 cubes mysis/day but lots and lots of garlic+selcon soaked NORI.

See how it goes. That time my skimmer stopped running for 4 days because I changed new sump and wow the whole sandbed all cyno but now clearing up already :P