6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
OK thanks bro nutx. Tackling that Issue now.. Will update in a few days time to see if there are any improvement :)

just dun let it go Wild and like the display tank in that Big Blue sign board shop.....The algae inside that tank is quite scarely....

• SRC Member

The problem with sand shifting gobies is dat they eat the beneficial infauna and soon the sandbed with be void of life and will create more problems in the future... Are there any purely herbivour/detrivour sand shifters?

• SRC Member
The problem with sand shifting gobies is dat they eat the beneficial infauna and soon the sandbed with be void of life and will create more problems in the future... Are there any purely herbivour/detrivour sand shifters?

the orange spotted one I got only did the surface area so it was good actually.....for me after my tank has been maturing for 6 months now.....I have starfishes that burrow and gobies that dig caves and my tank conditions have never been better.... :D without a refigium even.....

• SRC Member
the orange spotted one I got only did the surface area so it was good actually.....for me after my tank has been maturing for 6 months now.....I have starfishes that burrow and gobies that dig caves and my tank conditions have never been better.... :D without a refigium even.....

Sis, tot u have a refugium growin macroalgae aka "grapes" tat u only have success growin them under ur Dymax T5. Wat happen to tat refugium? :blink::rolleyes:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Sis, tot u have a refugium growin macroalgae aka "grapes" tat u only have success growin them under ur Dymax T5. Wat happen to tat refugium? :blink::rolleyes:

bro.jd_n the refugium didn't work for me..... :( So now I did away with that but kept a thick sandbed between my trickle filter and the biophos outlet. The thick sandbed is filled with lifeforms ranging from coepods , mini brittlestars , worms and recently saw some tiny looking shrimps moving around in there. My NO3 was pretty high at the time of the refugium but everything is 0 right now.

• SRC Member

bro.jd_n the refigium didn't work for me..... :( So now I did away with that but kept a thick sandbed between my trickle filter and the biophos outlet. The thick sandbed is filled with lifeforms ranging from coepods , mini brittlestars , worms and recently saw some tiny looking shrimps moving around in there. My NO3 was pretty high at the time of the refigium but everything is 0 right now.

oH...ic, so ur macroalgae die off? due to lightin? Wah, NO3 "0" now, tell us wat did u use to export NO3 leh? I believe some of the fella reefers here r having NO3 problem nw. :lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

actually....when I shifted my bioballs from the overflow column section and into the bottom compartment which is covered half with bio-rings was when my NO3 started dropping eachday....turned off the lighting in my refugium and left the thick sandbed intact with the beneficial infauna. I used a turkey blaster to inject several doses of live nitrifying bacteria in the begining and the rest was left up to them to do the work for me....he..he

I never was use to having a refugium with my previous SPS tank so I thought I'd try something new here but it was getting from bad to worse eachday. Best is to stick to methods to what I know and use to.... :lol:

• SRC Member
actually....when I shifted my bioballs from the overflow column section and into the bottom compartment which is covered half with bio-rings was when my NO3 started dropping eachday....turned off the lighting in my refugium and left the thick sandbed intact with the beneficial infauna. I used a turkey blaster to inject several doses of live nitrifying bacteria in the begining and the rest was left up to them to do the work for me....he..he

I never was use to having a refugium with my previous SPS tank so I thought I'd try something new here but it was getting from bad to worse eachday. Best is to stick to methods to what I know and use to.... :lol:

Wats gettin from bad to worst everyday = Ur macroalgae overgrown or die off?

So u meant the bacteria u used help majority in ur NO3 removal. For the benefits of pple,....tell us which brand is it tat u use leh ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

So far I didn't know got bottled bacteria can help with reducing NO3 unless you're talking abt product like AZ-NO3 but that is not bacteria (pls correct me if I am wrong).

Those bottled bacteria that I know of only helps with the cycling of your tank. That is why I asked you to share the brand that you found had been useful in reducing NO3 so I can use it for my FOWLR.

I do not know everything so what you can share with your 20yrs of experience is knowledge to us.

• SRC Member
he...he...don't want lah , not that I don't want to share.....you guys know more then me leh..... ;)

reefing has more then just one method to apply so each of us have our own special way to tackle NO3..... :D

Learing has no boundary and no harm knwin more.... so if u have success with a certain solution towards a certain problem. Y not share it with others for the benefits of everybody. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member

the funny thing about this live nitrifying bottled bacteria is that it states it has been the choice of professionals for over 20 years..... :lol: what a coincidence.... :lol:

it's to seed new tanks and as well established tanks and comes in two different versions #9 and turbo start #900 which is a more concentrated form of active cultures of autotrophic bacteria. They also have #360 which breaks down much more solid matter without an ammonia and nitrite spike.

you have to keep it at normal room temperature after opening the bottle. No freezing and overheating as it will deminish the live bacteria contents. I tried quite a few brands and was hesitant when it came to this particular brand but thought I'd give it try and it seems to work well for my reef set up and reducing my NO3.

it's called 1) Fritz Zyme #9 2) Fritz Turbo Start #900 (concentrated) and 3) Fritz Zyme #360 (for solid matter)

I dose every week over my bioballs with 2 full turkey blasters...... :D