6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• SRC Member

Hi,

just curious, why you all didn't choose the non commercial type?

was it bec the largest size is 1/3 only?

The noise level was much lower....and I think it is good enough for 6ft tank. (45 min to lower 1 degree.) :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my choice of the commerical unit was because it looks like a normal air-con unit and allows you to mount it outside the house like a normal air-con. That is one of the main reason I am changing the chiller.

It would be strange to mount my 1.25hp Ti chiller outside the house right? guess what would someone feel when he saw a HDB flat with such a chiller outside? somemore that is not meant to be use outside the house.

• SRC Member

Yup, agree with weileong on how it looks like a normal air-con unit. very nice indeed.. looks presentable.

For me, i will be hanging the compressor above the tank facing the main balcony so looks is kinda important too..

and furthermore, eventho the 1/3 would be enuff, i always factor in a buffer for anything I purchase just in case i go crazy and put in more 250w/400w or pumps etc etc.

I really dunt want the hassle to upgrade the chiller again... :)

• SRC Member

thanks for the info... :D

hopefully my 1/3 can handle the 1000l water and 900W of lights.

I placed my in my cabinet...(ops...dun shoot me!).but it is still performing so far.

Btw, my cabinet has a open 'backside'.......and I remove the door for 'freah air' intake. :D

• SRC Member

Weileong, yup. agreed. but hopefully i will not have to test the customer service side of things....*touch wood*

Customer service will only be called upon if things go wrong which i hope i wont need..

Just like my Apple Imac. 3 years old and no need any service calls from day 1.. and fast enuff to do anything i want including video editing etc etc... and its a 3 yr old piece of equipment.. amazing huh? *Apple should pay me for this advertisement*

• SRC Member

That one very good deal but I was not sure if it is 100% the same eg like cool coil might be different, customer service etc so I just play safe and go with the Artica.

Hope no more upgrade of chiller after this.

i was told by the Korean OEM MD that they are identical.

btw, the commercial unit and the non-commercial unit are slightly different in technology/design....(beside the different cooling solvent used)

and the non-commercial one are suppose to be a newer technology/design. (hopefully it is more efficient) :D

Actually I got the price of the Korean OEM and the prices are not too much difference.

I see that the main difference is in the cooling coil???

I don't care so much already, as long as this 1/2hp works well for my tank can already. Afterall the main reason for the upgrade is to be able to hang it outside the house so I don't get complains everyday. You know the other party complain here and there end up the chiller, eventually the tank will be an eyesore, you never know if someone pours household bleach into your tank when you're away :P Then come back all LS die and she act blurr.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Planning to move the chiller to my balcony up high so that there is more circulation of air and thus better efficiency for the chiller

Anyone got any kangtao to recommend to do the chiller bracket, piping and trunking?

• SRC Member

Im also thinking of putting a closed loop from overflow output in the sump -> Fluidised reactor for Rowaphos -> UV -> back to overflow chamber.

Thingking of getting the 12X turbo-twist.

Opinions? suggestions? Feel free :)

• SRC Member

Planning to use a 500L/hr pump to power both the UV and also the FR509. I think a slower flowrate will ensure that everything that passes thru the UV will die die die!!..

Any downsides to having a slower flowrate thru the UV apart from heating up the water?

I think the 12x turbo twist recommend a flow rate of around 290 g/h so if you go too slow the turn over rate would be too low.

I would get a cheap pump like the SICCE NOVO for the FR509 and ehiem 1250 for the turbo twister.

Should be a no brainer to throw the FR509 and pump in the sump. That is what I am going to do.

• SRC Member

Or maybe i should just tee-off from the MD55? 1 tee-off to the FR509 and the other tee-off to the UV?

My MD55 is a bit overpowered for the Ev240 anyway rite? so instead of putting in a flow control, might as well use it to power my UV and also the FR when it eventually arrives?

How do you actually measure the flow rate accurately? Do you all use a flowmeter or sumthing to that effect?