91 litre's 24g Tank

qwertman321

• SRC Member

Hello . Juz wanna post some pictures of my tank.

My tank has been cycling for 1 week for now.

Place a Small Cube of market prawn during start of cycling too.

Tested at day 3 > nitrite 0.5ppm Tested at day 7 > nitrite 0.0ppm

How come my nitrite go down to 0 so fast?

Do i still nid to put food for the bacteria to survive?

Nitrate 70 ppm If i juz let my tank cycle would it go down to 0?

post-17468-1260169530_thumb.jpg

post-17468-1260169545_thumb.jpg

post-17468-1260169556_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like the intense colour of the sand bed..

are you by any chance 1000litres as well?

THat is his dad. :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Can u guys explain to me why i have strange nitrite results?

my guess is that the live sand helped?

Are you using cured rocks from reefers/ your dad too?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Can u guys explain to me why i have strange nitrite results?

IMHO.. if you're not too sure what may contribute to the wierd result.. best allow your tank to cycle longer... at the same time you can plan on your corals and LS... =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Love the way you hide your wavemaker!

I think DSB should be explained by the pros here ba...but the rough idea i think is...if your sandbed is deep enough,there will not be oxygen/air at the deeper parts...which causes certain bacteria to grow which converts the NO3 to N2.....i think....(lousy explanation..zzz)

• Senior Reefer
Love the way you hide your wavemaker!

I think DSB should be explained by the pros here ba...but the rough idea i think is...if your sandbed is deep enough,there will not be oxygen/air at the deeper parts...which causes certain bacteria to grow which converts the NO3 to N2.....i think....(lousy explanation..zzz)

yep you got it.

There are some species of bacteria (pseudomonas, bacillus etc) that are strictly aerophobic, meaning they cannot live in areas where there is oxygen content. oxygen is toxic to these bacteria and they will die if exposed to oxygen. in fact, pure oxygen is a very toxic gas. If we breathe in pure oxygen at elevated partial pressures, we will die too.

anyway, these bacteria live deep within liverocks or in this case, a deep sand bed because there is no oxygen in there. these bacteria utilise an enzyme called nitrase reductase, that convert NO3 (nitrate) into N2 gas and water.

2NO3- + 10e- + 12H+-> N2 + 6H2O (this is the equation)

hope this gives you a better understanding on anaerobic denitrification. the process is actually alot more complex.

• Senior Reefer

good question. how then does the water reach inside? im not too sure too. the bacteria is the one denitrifying. not the water itself. substances can diffuse in and out of the sand bed without problems. perhaps that is how the bacteria reaches the NO3. strong flow is good for a tank with DSB too.

you don't need a DSB since ur tank is so small. it will be ugly and you just don't need it. personally i have never tried DSB, but would like to in the future.

Yup i m using cured Rocks from my dad but not live sand.

I thought the sand are black argonite sand/ volcanic sand which are live?

• Senior Reefer
but if i dun make i DSB how can i maintain nitrate to be zero? other than changing water and using denitrater.

ur NO3 is now 70 because it is still cycling..... do a final water change after cycling is complete. maintain ur NO3 with low stocking and light feeding. water changes etc. you have much to learn and read up on. with good cycling and tank maturation, NO3 should not be much of a problem.

i forgot the name of the sand but it is definitly not live sand as it is for freshwater use.bought from c328 > $12 / 5kg :eyebrow:

Arh ok.... nvr thot of using FW sand. clever.