Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

• SRC Member

Ah Siang... Outside pond cannot la... :P That said, one of my goldfish just passed away.. I think it's indigestion... must go find out why and how to prevent.

The 2 two-spot gobies are doing ok. One is more daring and out sifting sands when lights on while the other only when lights off/dim. The vanuatu flasher also hide under the rock most of the time but surviving...

I forget to add in my one small Clown Goby... so we have 27 fishes :P

guess u are feeding ur goldfish pellets only right... try to give them live food such as worms few times a week... it helps..

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

Yes sunny03, mainly pellets... I intend to feed them a variety of food going forward.. worms i not so sure.. will see how.

My advice is : dont feed live worms. Its dirty . Gold fish are prone to gill disease. Mechanical filter is super important. good bacteria cannot cope up with the waste. Sponge filter is most effective for gold fishes. I kept Japanese top down view ranchus for quite some time. Then switched to kois. Easier and smarter and hardy too.

cheers

• SRC Member

YT: Ya, I have reservations on feeding worms. I am thinking of getting an external canister filter, any recommendation? Currently the filtration is pretty basic, the water suck in by the pump to a Chamber under the tiled pond where we put in some volcano rock (which i considering removing and changeing but worry about the side effect since it will probably be infested with good/bad bacteria now). It is then flow down from the top.

How hardy are Ranchu? I initially wanted Ranchu but due to the costs and inexperience, decide to start with Giant Oranda first. So far kept them (3) for about 2 mths+ and everything seems ok until now.

Lemon: Yup, intend to add peas to their diet at least once a week. I read that i should cook them in microwave, deshell then feed.

• SRC Member

YT: Ya, I have reservations on feeding worms. I am thinking of getting an external canister filter, any recommendation? Currently the filtration is pretty basic, the water suck in by the pump to a Chamber under the tiled pond where we put in some volcano rock (which i considering removing and changeing but worry about the side effect since it will probably be infested with good/bad bacteria now). It is then flow down from the top.

How hardy are Ranchu? I initially wanted Ranchu but due to the costs and inexperience, decide to start with Giant Oranda first. So far kept them (3) for about 2 mths+ and everything seems ok until now.

Lemon: Yup, intend to add peas to their diet at least once a week. I read that i should cook them in microwave, deshell then feed.

add some japs kois as well. they will brighten up your pond and are more hardy to parasitic infection.

l7304smr.jpg

Round sponge air filter is best. If it is not practical, then use japanese filter mat, before the water returns via your waterfall. Clean your mat regularly. Because gf ( goldfish, not girlfriend ) eat and poo a huge amount, bio filter cannot cope with it. You need to remove the waste thro filter cleaning.

Japanese Ranchu is very difficult to keep. The higher the grade, the more difficult. They enjoy clean cool water with generous amount of sunlite. Green water is even better.Show grade cost more than 1K$. Use this money for reefing is better.

For your gf, key is dont overfeed. They are outrite stupid, dont know when to stop and foul the water. Gill disease spreads fast. And dont introduce new gf straight away. 100% some kind of casualty. Usually the more expensive ones will die.

add some japs kois as well. they will brighten up your pond and are more hardy to parasitic infection.

Dont mix gf with koi. Gf will be turned upside down by koi during feeding.Koi will suck out the gf eyes clean, and i mean clean. No blood ,only the empty socket remains.

Its nice to keep koi. Very easy and beautiful. Hand feed them. Go check CB koi farm ( internet has ). Japanese koi bred in china. Get those about 3" to 5".If you are interested, I can tell you what to look for in koi. ( i kept koi for many years, form outdoor pond to present indoor fibre glass pond.)

\

cheers

mike

• SRC Member

Round sponge air filter is best. If it is not practical, then use japanese filter mat, before the water returns via your waterfall. Clean your mat regularly. Because gf ( goldfish, not girlfriend ) eat and poo a huge amount, bio filter cannot cope with it. You need to remove the waste thro filter cleaning.

Japanese Ranchu is very difficult to keep. The higher the grade, the more difficult. They enjoy clean cool water with generous amount of sunlite. Green water is even better.Show grade cost more than 1K$. Use this money for reefing is better.

For your gf, key is dont overfeed. They are outrite stupid, dont know when to stop and foul the water. Gill disease spreads fast. And dont introduce new gf straight away. 100% some kind of casualty. Usually the more expensive ones will die.

Dont mix gf with koi. Gf will be turned upside down by koi during feeding.Koi will suck out the gf eyes clean, and i mean clean. No blood ,only the empty socket remains.

Its nice to keep koi. Very easy and beautiful. Hand feed them. Go check CB koi farm ( internet has ). Japanese koi bred in china. Get those about 3" to 5".If you are interested, I can tell you what to look for in koi. ( i kept koi for many years, form outdoor pond to present indoor fibre glass pond.)

\

cheers

mike

ok...dun mix girlfriends with koi...got it!

i agree some gfs do eat and poo alot! n they fart alot too!

l7304smr.jpg

u're very sensitive...hope to c u in desi's place

no la, 1/2 of my senses numbed due to age.

I was worried that you are over sensitive and got hurt. Meet you at High Noon at Ketchup's place ? Probably no..will have another hetic saturday meet up with friends, and need to recuperate on Sunday.

Well, if you are working in Raffles Place, can always meet up for lunch.

cheers

• SRC Member

The problem is the area for the water to go back to the top is too small for such filter system.. later i try and see if can find pic for you to see. In the mean time, i think i will try and suck out as much debris from the bottom since it's just big pebbles so should be possible. Well, not much we can do as it's not design and built by us.. Otherwise, probably will be big enough and better design.

Yes, I saw the ranchus are mainly about S$500 onwards. But top view ranchu is very very nice and perfect for my setup. I probably won't keep ranchu for now.

\

cheers

mike

Ya, know abt the overfeeding risk so trying hard to not overfeed. As for KOI, initially planned to but i understand KOI can be very long lifespan (longer than us!) and very huge so not suitable. Hence, the decision to keep giant oranda. I won't keep koi, maybe add in another giant oranda or 2. Thanks for the helpful advice.

• SRC Member

no la, 1/2 of my senses numbed due to age.

I was worried that you are over sensitive and got hurt. Meet you at High Noon at Ketchup's place ? Probably no..will have another hetic saturday meet up with friends, and need to recuperate on Sunday.

Well, if you are working in Raffles Place, can always meet up for lunch.

cheers

One of these days let's meet for lunch.. We always have small gathering near Cityhall/Bugis area. :)

• SRC Member

hey mike, there is picture of our water feature setup on page 64 :) of this thread... that's how it looks like. :P before anything went in.. and where the rafia string tie up tile is where the sump is! lol

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

The problem is the area for the water to go back to the top is too small for such filter system.. later i try and see if can find pic for you to see. In the mean time, i think i will try and suck out as much debris from the bottom since it's just big pebbles so should be possible. Well, not much we can do as it's not design and built by us.. Otherwise, probably will be big enough and better design.

Big pepples trap dirt.

Yes, I saw the ranchus are mainly about S$500 onwards. But top view ranchu is very very nice and perfect for my setup. I probably won't keep ranchu for now.

Jap bloodline raised in Thailand is cheaper but not cheap.

Ya, know abt the overfeeding risk so trying hard to not overfeed. As for KOI, initially planned to but i understand KOI can be very long lifespan (longer than us!) and very huge so not suitable. Hence, the decision to keep giant oranda. I won't keep koi, maybe add in another giant oranda or 2. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Wrong. Koi kept in small pond will never be jumbo size even if its from a Champion bloodline. It will be retarded but still its good ennough. In Japan, they raise koi in mud ponds for size and shape, and kept them indoors for the white colour ( by water ph )and red enhancement (feed) 3 months before competition. If you want i can pass your koi magazine that i had with me for about 20 years! Danger : after reading, sure stuck. long life, yes and become sentimentally attached.

One of these days let's meet for lunch.. We always have small gathering near Cityhall/Bugis area. :)

K. Probably, after cyn .

hey mike, there is picture of our water feature setup on page 64 :) of this thread... that's how it looks like. :P before anything went in.. and where the rafia string tie up tile is where the sump is! lol

Will look into it later,Desi.

I was worried that you are over sensitive and got hurt.

nearly fall off my chair...lol

If you fall off the chair, you will get hurt. So my fear is correct, after all.

cherrs,

• SRC Member

Quick update of our fishes :)

Stocklist 8-Feb-11

Fish Quantity

Blue Tang 1

Yellow Tang 1

Archilles Tang 1

Flame Wrasse - Male 1

Golden Rhomboid - Male 1

Lineatus Wrasse - Male 1

Lineatus Wrasse - Female 1

Green wrasse 1

Yellow wrasse 2

Cleaner wrasse 1

Vanuatu flasher wrasse 1

Six Line wrasse 1

Two spot goby 2

Algae Blenny 1

Midas Blenny 1

Purple firefish 1

Tomato clownfish (in sump) 1

Barlett Anthias - Male 5

Barlett Anthias - Female 1

Flamehawk 1

Clown goby 1

Black Orcellaris 2 (1 male, 1 female)

Total number of fishes 29

P.S. Just realised i missed out my clownfishes :)

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Quick update of our fishes :)

Stocklist 8-Feb-11

Fish Quantity

Blue Tang 1

Yellow Tang 1

Archilles Tang 1

Flame Wrasse - Male 1

Golden Rhomboid - Male 1

Lineatus Wrasse - Male 1

Lineatus Wrasse - Female 1

Green wrasse 1

Yellow wrasse 2

Cleaner wrasse 1

Vanuatu flasher wrasse 1

Six Line wrasse 1

Two spot goby 2

Algae Blenny 1

Midas Blenny 1

Purple firefish 1

Tomato clownfish (in sump) 1

Barlett Anthias - Male 5

Barlett Anthias - Female 1

Flamehawk 1

Clown goby 1

Black Orcellaris 2 (1 male, 1 female)

Total number of fishes 29

P.S. Just realised i missed out my clownfishes :)

whoa ... :friends::friends::friends::friends::friends:

25 Gal Micro Ocean