Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

• SRC Member

To check the mouth of large fishes is a probable scenario but for a smaller fish like a tang which is about 4 inches is I think close to impossible without stressing it out...perhaps only when it is DEAD. The times when I do see the mouth up close when it was in the QT and in the betabox .. I don't see anything abnormal.

Overall the fish looks healthy, no spot, no swelling.. swims very gently, not agitated at all.. the ONLY thing wrong is that it refuses to eat hence the stomach is sunken in. that's it.

Btw Terryz, as mentioned in some other prior post, I have tried every single conceivable known food to reefer-kind, ketchup wants to let nature take it's course .. so .... like that la.

thanx.gif guys.

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

To check the mouth of large fishes is a probable scenario but for a smaller fish like a tang which is about 4 inches is I think close to impossible without stressing it out...perhaps only when it is DEAD. The times when I do see the mouth up close when it was in the QT and in the betabox .. I don't see anything abnormal.

Overall the fish looks healthy, no spot, no swelling.. swims very gently, not agitated at all.. the ONLY thing wrong is that it refuses to eat hence the stomach is sunken in. that's it.

Btw Terryz, as mentioned in some other prior post, I have tried every single conceivable known food to reefer-kind, ketchup wants to let nature take it's course .. so .... like that la.

thanx.gif guys.

Desi

Maybe it is just its time.... just keep on feeding loh... the rest is up to it..

thanx.gif guys.

Desi

This fish reminds me of a 5 inches Majestic Angel I once had. Healthy as a fiddle when it first arrived but absolutely refused to eat. It lasted about 30 days. When it finally boarded the lorry, it was paper thin. So you can expect your Tang to stick around for at least another 2 weeks. Next time, look for a small 2 to 2.5 inches Powder Brown if you still want to try. They are easier to feed.

• SRC Member

if I can find live cockles, then I guess no harm trying.... :P where to get them? Do LFS sell them live?

Most of the cockles I see are @ hawker centers for char kway teow! :)

desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Just got ourselves some customised 4 feet blue LEDs to turn on after our main Gisseman lights are out.. here's a pic of it from the top.. ( only 1 strip is on for this pic)

post-12571-12699637962614_thumb.jpg

PIcs of the Rics with the LEDs on..

post-12571-12699638430327_thumb.jpg post-12571-12699638590527_thumb.jpg

THe Sunny with the blue LEDs

post-12571-1269963873776_thumb.jpg

THe View with the LEDs on

post-12571-12699638951799_thumb.jpg

The Coco worm spawned again this evening... wink.gif

post-12571-12699639115986_thumb.jpg

CHeers,

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

welcome to the LED club sister... :) ur coco worm popped a baby? next time pop more, i want one ya :) it is so pretty.

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member

post-12571-12699954772955_thumb.jpg

guys!!!! something weird has happened... last night everything was still status quo... the only thing I added was the LED lights and 2 small pieces of prawn in 2 small bottles to trap crabs/worms which I have done before... and suddenly this morning my Powder Blue looked really weird.... not swimming right... swimming near the surface, when I threw food into the tank during my ritural morning feed, it swam like in a complete blur...

I even managed to fish it out no problems with a scoop and put it in a temporary holding tub of my left over replacement water as I made too much for the Saturday waterchange... here's a pic of it.. I think it's dying. sad.gif

I DO not understand!! What happened? I thought they conquored the itch as last night most of the fish were clear even the powder blue... and all were cheonging for food during the final feed at about 830pm last night.. then in 12 hours... THIS Happens?! WWHHHAATTTT!!!!!

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

This is a supreme irony... the powder brown ( Day 19 hunger strike) in the sump is now also displaying the same sort of skin leisions that the powder blue is having and it seems to be more "ALERT" than the currently dying powder blue!

?>!?!!?!

desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Oh nooooooo.... so sorry to hear that...... must be heart broken.

If he was feeding well and all good the night before, and that the other fishes are still alive, then I guess the water params are ok.

Where did you buy the fishes from? Do you know if they are hand caught or unknown?

could be Cyanide caught .... :(

I cannot think of any other reason.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

*hugz* *hugz* cheer up!

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member

post-12571-12699954772955_thumb.jpg

guys!!!! something weird has happened... last night everything was still status quo... the only thing I added was the LED lights and 2 small pieces of prawn in 2 small bottles to trap crabs/worms which I have done before... and suddenly this morning my Powder Blue looked really weird.... not swimming right... swimming near the surface, when I threw food into the tank during my ritural morning feed, it swam like in a complete blur...

I even managed to fish it out no problems with a scoop and put it in a temporary holding tub of my left over replacement water as I made too much for the Saturday waterchange... here's a pic of it.. I think it's dying. sad.gif

I DO not understand!! What happened? I thought they conquored the itch as last night most of the fish were clear even the powder blue... and all were cheonging for food during the final feed at about 830pm last night.. then in 12 hours... THIS Happens?! WWHHHAATTTT!!!!!

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

This is a supreme irony... the powder brown ( Day 19 hunger strike) in the sump is now also displaying the same sort of skin leisions that the powder blue is having and it seems to be more "ALERT" than the currently dying powder blue!

?>!?!!?!

desi

sorry abt ur fish but the thing is sometimes fish die due to no reason....i had a black tang in my tank for 8 mths and it die suddenly too... 1 of my radiant too....

• SRC Member

no idea what happened.. I got this fish from LCK 19 days ago and according to the lady there, they had QTed it for 2 weeks already before I bought it .. I didn't ask whether it was hand caught. sad.gif Next time I will. It is so sudden.... I cannot understand and comprehend... almost walked out of the house to work without getting dressed properly either! online2long.gif Had to SMS my boss and colleagues that I will be late due to fishy emergency.

Haiz... sad... at least now it's all alone in a tub on it's own.... and when it goes to fishy heaven, it will be peaceful... I hope...cry.gif

Reef on..... blink.gif

Desi wacko.gif

Btw it was the only fish eating the red bamboo I had put in the tank... anyone heard of Red bamboo causing fish death before?!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Did the behaviour of the PBT change suddenly within hours? It's probably not the reason, but I am usually very paranoid of anything I put into the tank including bottles for trap or even nets to catch fish. I'll rinse them thoroughly in case the foreign item was contaminated somehow (chemicals, detergent residue etc).

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Did the behaviour of the PBT change suddenly within hours? It's probably not the reason, but I am usually very paranoid of anything I put into the tank including bottles for trap or even nets to catch fish. I'll rinse them thoroughly in case the foreign item was contaminated somehow (chemicals, detergent residue etc).

but that should affect the other fishes, not just PBT.

any foreign chemicals would get into the sump too and the PBRT would be in a worse shape already.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

I'm sure most of us strive to give the best to our fishes. But sometimes, murphy still happens. Have to reconcile the fact that not all fishes will survive the change from their natural habitat to our man made environment.

Remember Henry telling me before that in his experience, the first 2 weeks is where the majority of fishes that eventually die will die. Following which, the next critical mark is the 1 month mark. If a fish survives past it's 1 month mark, then the odds of surviving are much higher, barring unforseen circumstances of course.

So *hugz* sometimes, it's just out of our hands.

• SRC Member

the rest of the fishes are fine... all cheong for food when I fed this morning, all looked normal... last night when I turn on the blue led, ketchup said the PBT looked funny and was swimming against the wavebox ( but he had done it before so I wasn't too concered) but I thought that's the case for all fishes anyway looking weird under pure blue leds..... and since just 1-2 hours ago it was fine... I didn't think much of it... then this morning... haiz.. well the picture speaks for itself...

the powder brown ironically is still alive and swimming peacefully in the sump.. it looks bad but unlike the PBT which is on the floor.. it is still.. upright and swimming....

my first and hopefully LAST mysterious death.

Desishocked.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

the rest of the fishes are fine... all cheong for food when I fed this morning, all looked normal... last night when I turn on the blue led, ketchup said the PBT looked funny and was swimming against the wavebox ( but he had done it before so I wasn't too concered) but I thought that's the case for all fishes anyway looking weird under pure blue leds..... and since just 1-2 hours ago it was fine... I didn't think much of it... then this morning... haiz.. well the picture speaks for itself...

the powder brown ironically is still alive and swimming peacefully in the sump.. it looks bad but unlike the PBT which is on the floor.. it is still.. upright and swimming....

my first and hopefully LAST mysterious death.

Desishocked.gif

maybe feed too much...diahorrea..kapuk...

its better to underfeed than overfeed...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Gosh bino, talking about foreign items, I washed the filter socks in my washing machine, then after it spun dry, I took it out and washed it with water again with my hand thoroughly... then dried it.. THEN Washed it again with water and squeezed it as dry as possible before putting it back to my overflow pipe... I think after 3 washings, all detergent residue should be gone!!!!

If I go back tonight to a tank of dead fish.. I will scream.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

powder blue and power brown are itch magnet, most of it i got died due to no reason.

thats why i gave up power series though they are very very nice .. :(

jiayou!

depends where u get them from and how stable they are at LFS...

the no-sign board seafood restoran at vivocity has 2 marine tanks...and its full of algae and can tell the nutrients are very high...yet their power brown tang and power blue are doing well...and has been there for some time...

l7304smr.jpg

no idea what happened.. I got this fish from LCK 19 days ago and according to the lady there, they had QTed it for 2 weeks already before I bought it .. I didn't ask whether it was hand caught. sad.gif Next time I will. It is so sudden.... I cannot understand and comprehend... almost walked out of the house to work without getting dressed properly either! online2long.gif Had to SMS my boss and colleagues that I will be late due to fishy emergency.

Haiz... sad... at least now it's all alone in a tub on it's own.... and when it goes to fishy heaven, it will be peaceful... I hope...cry.gif

Reef on..... blink.gif

Desi wacko.gif

Btw it was the only fish eating the red bamboo I had put in the tank... anyone heard of Red bamboo causing fish death before?!

What you are experiencing appears to be a second wave of ich. The second wave is typically more severe. It is very unlikely your Red bamboo is the culprit. The Powder Blue Tang is one of the most difficult Tang to keep alive. It is not uncommon to hear this Tang dying for no rhyme or reason. I had gone through at least 10 Powder Blues before finally getting one that can survive beyond 1 month. My current Powder Blue is now into its 9th month with me. Even now, it is the first fish I looked for when I wakes up. If you go to www.wetwebmedia.com, they will advise you to leave the Powder Blue in the ocean. Unfortunately, this fish is too gorgeous and too cheap to be left in the ocean. If you are like me, die die must have this fish, I suggest you buy it from those reefers who are selling from time to time. Another success factor for keeping this fish is your tank should be mature for at least a year. Lastly, all Powder series must be quarantine for at least 1 month. Throwing it into your display tank from day one is like playing Russian Roulette. The worst thing is when it goes, it likes to bring along all its friends. Advise of the day: Quarantine, Quarantine, Quarantine followed by Patience, Patience and more Patience. Cheers.