Desi & Ketchup 4x2.5x2 tank

desideria

NOW WHO IS THE GAY!!!! hahahaha... :evil:

still YOU !!! :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

still YOU !!! :P

LOL!...Ray has been target of suaning...

Desi..after watching yr videos...make me all the more to wanna raid yr tank inhibitants...hehe...

Think u need some urchins to help control yr algae growth...the algae blenny is quite useless...i used to have one just starve to death altho' there r lots of algae growing on my tank walls for him to makan...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Our algae blenny actually ate ALLOT Of algae.. hahaha it's really hardworking it moves from one end to the next.. lol I know there still seems to be allot of green but it's not as bad as you think. :P

ALSO today, woke up, stepped out of my bedroom walked to the hall and my feet felt wet... shocked.gif

Yes,.... there was SALT WATER ON My floor.... My eyes looked up to the tank half expecting to see it drained thinking the worse.. but I saw my anthias still schooling and i thought THANK GOD it's ok.. SO WHAT IS WRONG... splished over to my cabinet and I noticed my sump was almost empty....and my skimmer cup was overflowing!!!!ooh2.gif

What happened? I realised after cleaning up and hastily making about 100L of salt water and topping up the tank; that the filter sock I had attached the skimmer outlet was TOO TIGHT and had jammed up the outlet with the debris it had collected and hence the water could not flow out so my skimmer got screwed...... and began to bubble all night long!

:( It is times like this that I'm glad I have marble flooring and not parquet otherwise I think the damage would have been even worse. crying.gif

I just hope that the wooden cabinet that N30 did which I know is solid kapur wood can tah han this one salt water soaking incident at the base.... 2-3 hours after the clean up, I was still sticking cloth to the sides where the cabinet touch the floor to try to absorb out as much water that was trapped beneath as possible... I just realised that they didn't seal it the bits on the floor with silicon.. I should have asked them to do that.. darn! Next time I will... remember this..... The skin between my thumb and my 2nd finger for my right hand now hurts from squeezing dry the cloths when soaking up all the water from the floor!ermm.gif

Whole day burnt on tank stuff... had to rush to Lemon's place to get the preordered corals... Lemon, thanks so much and I sure as heck hope I can take care of them as well as you do.

Haiz.. today is all tank tank tank... TIRED

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

If you are using the 100 micron filter sock, you will have to swap to a new one every 3 days otherwise the chances of the existing filter sock clogging up is very high. :eyebrow:

Anyway, you should not jam up your skimmet outlet with your filter sock. This is especially important if your skimmer is an external skimmer. :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Senior Reefer

Our algae blenny actually ate ALLOT Of algae.. hahaha it's really hardworking it moves from one end to the next.. lol I know there still seems to be allot of green but it's not as bad as you think. :P

ALSO today, woke up, stepped out of my bedroom walked to the hall and my feet felt wet... shocked.gif

Yes,.... there was SALT WATER ON My floor.... My eyes looked up to the tank half expecting to see it drained thinking the worse.. but I saw my anthias still schooling and i thought THANK GOD it's ok.. SO WHAT IS WRONG... splished over to my cabinet and I noticed my sump was almost empty....and my skimmer cup was overflowing!!!!ooh2.gif

What happened? I realised after cleaning up and hastily making about 100L of salt water and topping up the tank; that the filter sock I had attached the skimmer outlet was TOO TIGHT and had jammed up the outlet with the debris it had collected and hence the water could not flow out so my skimmer got screwed...... and began to bubble all night long!

:( It is times like this that I'm glad I have marble flooring and not parquet otherwise I think the damage would have been even worse. crying.gif

I just hope that the wooden cabinet that N30 did which I know is solid kapur wood can tah han this one salt water soaking incident at the base.... 2-3 hours after the clean up, I was still sticking cloth to the sides where the cabinet touch the floor to try to absorb out as much water that was trapped beneath as possible... I just realised that they didn't seal it the bits on the floor with silicon.. I should have asked them to do that.. darn! Next time I will... remember this..... The skin between my thumb and my 2nd finger for my right hand now hurts from squeezing dry the cloths when soaking up all the water from the floor!ermm.gif

Whole day burnt on tank stuff... had to rush to Lemon's place to get the preordered corals... Lemon, thanks so much and I sure as heck hope I can take care of them as well as you do.

i worse ah.... my floor wooden laminate -_- and it flooded before. under my tank now i dont even wanna think what it looks like.

• SRC Member

yeah peter, I had actually changed it last night but because I had jammed it in too tight... i didn't have enough allowance for water to flow to other parts of the filter sock ... if you know what I mean.. anyway.. waiting for the mount!! then this won't happen again! :P

eyebrow.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member
tEc' date='01 May 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1272648755' post='905392']

beautiful lineatus.....envy.....can i pop by some day to see it? havent gt the chance to see a male with my eyes...lol

well if you live near by AMk, let me know la. :P

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

yeah peter, I had actually changed it last night but because I had jammed it in too tight... i didn't have enough allowance for water to flow to other parts of the filter sock ... if you know what I mean.. anyway.. waiting for the mount!! then this won't happen again! :P

eyebrow.gif

Ya, I know what you mean... :eyebrow: Kiasu lah... :upsidedown:

Filter sock mount will probably arrive in the week of 10 May. But will depend when the manufacturer ships it out. Anyway, they need to receive my wire transfer before they will send it out and after that it depends when TNT will pick up the package and how long it takes to arrive.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Wow... must have been a tiring weekend!

you must be glad you used kapor and not chengnai as the latter can cause stain on your flooring :)

My socks clog up yesterday as well but thanks goodness it was overflowing back into the tank.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

witnessed this when i was there..

really cute fella..

everytime i took a look at the tank,

he's always at the wall nipping...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

skimmers that are placed out of sump always have such accidents. i am running an external skimmer in my office and had the same problem when the outlet was jammed up. i make sure that this problem will not happen again by not having any possible obstruction to the outlet pipe. but guess what now, the joints of the skimmer outlet control valve is now leaking...endless problem.. I tell myself never to have skimmers and FR running outsump for my future setups..

If you can, maybe you can modify your sump to run your skimmer insump for a peace of mind..

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

haha Ah siangz, well supposed to do weekly WC anyway just that this time it was forced upon us. My toyo tub was already partially full of DI water already so hastilly made more and throw in salt. eyebrow.gif

Earth, actually ketchup and I WANTED an external skimmer, we wanted to free space up in our sump for other stuff. :P It was my own fault the sock caused the overflow so now I know. very tiring learning experience! noexpression.gif

The pipes leading to the skimmer and the output were done pretty well and it's a gravity feed to the skimmer.. so far so good... I don't see any possibility of leakage unless something is thrown at the skimmer / piping which is highly unlikely. rolleyes.gif

Even up till this morning, my butt and arms ache from all that bending and kneeling on the floor saking up the salt water.. ARUGH..

ACtually I'm more afraid of my chiller not working and I come home to an over heated tank...

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

haha Ah siangz, well supposed to do weekly WC anyway just that this time it was forced upon us. My toyo tub was already partially full of DI water already so hastilly made more and throw in salt. eyebrow.gif

Earth, actually ketchup and I WANTED an external skimmer, we wanted to free space up in our sump for other stuff. :P It was my own fault the sock caused the overflow so now I know. very tiring learning experience! noexpression.gif

The pipes leading to the skimmer and the output were done pretty well and it's a gravity feed to the skimmer.. so far so good... I don't see any possibility of leakage unless something is thrown at the skimmer / piping which is highly unlikely. rolleyes.gif

Even up till this morning, my butt and arms ache from all that bending and kneeling on the floor saking up the salt water.. ARUGH..

ACtually I'm more afraid of my chiller not working and I come home to an over heated tank...

yeah...say that again...esp when u r using MH...if chiller stop working...thatz it....its worth exploring LED for your set-up...i will be changing to one towards end of the year...gives u beta peace of mind and less energy consumption.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Hmmm...u could ask Ketchup to help tat morning wat... :eyebrow:

Then the two of you would have aching bums and arms today... :rolleyes:

Have you tried washing the filter socks yet?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

yeah...say that again...esp when u r using MH...if chiller stop working...thatz it....its worth exploring LED for your set-up...i will be changing to one towards end of the year...gives u beta peace of mind and less energy consumption.

have u tried switching off ur chiller n ur lightings? not sure how many pumps u running for ur skimmer, return and other equipments, but if u dare to try, go try it. u be surprised that even without ur lights cooking the water, the water temp can go high enuff to kill most of ur corals

• SRC Member
tEc' date='03 May 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1272853968' post='906080']

have u tried switching off ur chiller n ur lightings? not sure how many pumps u running for ur skimmer, return and other equipments, but if u dare to try, go try it. u be surprised that even without ur lights cooking the water, the water temp can go high enuff to kill most of ur corals

yes...w/o lights...skimmer and return alone, my temp can go up to 32 degrees...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

yes...w/o lights...skimmer and return alone, my temp can go up to 32 degrees...

i think kiasi abit, get a back up chiller, at least if 1 fail, still gt 1 more...if 2 fail, that means god wan u to quit reefing....lol.....tot of getting those fans, but then i think for big tanks, fans r useless....

• SRC Member
tEc' date='03 May 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1272855670' post='906088']

i think kiasi abit, get a back up chiller, at least if 1 fail, still gt 1 more...if 2 fail, that means god wan u to quit reefing....lol.....tot of getting those fans, but then i think for big tanks, fans r useless....

But if both your chiller pumps break down, also no use... :eyebrow:

You can get those 20W clip on fans. These are much more powerful than the computer type fans you get outside.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

But if both your chiller pumps break down, also no use... :eyebrow:

You can get those 20W clip on fans. These are much more powerful than the computer type fans you get outside.

both pumps fail = suck thumb.....actually our tank is a time bomb...anything can happen and fail at the wrong time...even red dragon return pump fail b4... for me, i take out my return pump n wash every 3 mths n check for wear n tear....the last thing i expect it to fail is my ext controller, n yet it failed....lol....

• SRC Member

Ketchup did help... I woke up first and I screamed for him to come out... as in literally SCREAM at him to GET OUT NOW!!! so 2 of us were on our hands and knees mopping up. ermm.gif

And no , never tried turning off lights and chiller to see how high my temp can be. Well, I have a feeling that when I go on a long holiday, I will turn off my MH completely and ask my parents to come alternate to turn on the MH for an hour then turn off. LOL

I won't feel safe leaving my lights on if I am away for 3 weeks... huh.gif

I WANT LED.. but SOMEBODY won't let me upgrade.. I think you know who... I think you know him VERY WELL ( say this line Russel Peters style!)lookaround.gif

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Ketchup did help... I woke up first and I screamed for him to come out... as in literally SCREAM at him to GET OUT NOW!!! so 2 of us were on our hands and knees mopping up. ermm.gif

And no , never tried turning off lights and chiller to see how high my temp can be. Well, I have a feeling that when I go on a long holiday, I will turn off my MH completely and ask my parents to come alternate to turn on the MH for an hour then turn off. LOL

I WANT LED.. but SOMEBODY won't let me upgrade.. I think you know who... I think you know him VERY WELL ( say this line Russel Peters style!)lookaround.gif

Well, if he won't let you upgrade, then so like wat Jacky says...Buy first then TELL HIM... :eyebrow:

You can actually put your lights on a timer. So when u are away on holidays, the lights will switch on and off automatically.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

aiyar bargain la... if you factor in the additional cost of Maxspect into your long holiday and fly like Qatar Airways instead of SQ, then problem solved :) you wanna enjoy your holiday right? LED forms part of the hol package babe! :idea: