Peter's Newbie 3x2x2 Tank

teebs

• SRC Member
May have to say goodbye to my $180 Yuma... :cry2:

Yesterday night one of my zoas fell on my Yuma and this morning, more than 1/2 of my Yuma was gone and I had to cut it in 1/2 in order to clean it up. Now left with two tiny pieces that are still sliming and not sure if they will make it... :cry2:

It was colouring up really nicely yesterday... :cry:

$180?! :ooh:

my yuma from GO kapuk liao...seems rather fragile as compared to indo species.

if they do not expand, and keep sliming, chances are...cannot make it liao.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
$180?! :ooh:

my yuma from GO kapuk liao...seems rather fragile as compared to indo species.

if they do not expand, and keep sliming, chances are...cannot make it liao.

Still sliming but less than before...Hope both pieces pull through... :cry:

How did your Yuma go kaput???

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Still sliming but less than before...Hope both pieces pull through... :cry:

How did your Yuma go kaput???

it started to shrink and vomit mucus..dun know whether is it becoz lights too strong or wat.

but my other common orange yumas no problem.

maybe i left it at GO for a few days under MH b4 i collect and when i placed it at my tank, it's not able to get used to it.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
May have to say goodbye to my $180 Yuma... :cry2:

Yesterday night one of my zoas fell on my Yuma and this morning, more than 1/2 of my Yuma was gone and I had to cut it in 1/2 in order to clean it up. Now left with two tiny pieces that are still sliming and not sure if they will make it... :cry2:

It was colouring up really nicely yesterday... :cry:

Sorry to hear that bro... i'm sure the 2 babies will do ok..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member
oh no... I hope they survive too bro.

I always thought yumas were more powerful than zoas, will have to watch out for them in future.

i think the zoa crushed his yuma...coz can be quite heavy for a fist size zoa colony.

btw, the suns i got from you landed onto my acan...good thing no damage to the suns and only a little damage to one or 2 acan heads.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
i think the zoa crushed his yuma...coz can be quite heavy for a fist size zoa colony.

btw, the suns i got from you landed onto my acan...good thing no damage to the suns and only a little damage to one or 2 acan heads.

Nope, it did not crush the Yuma. The Yuma basically was eaten by the zoa. All the flesh became slimy, mouth was gone and left only the right and left sides of the Yuma. The zoa was totally fine by the way. Not even 1 polyp missing and it was a small rock.

This was the zoa rock that landed on the Yuma...only 2 inches high.

zoa.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

I always thought yumas were more powerful than zoas, will have to watch out for them in future.

I read somewhere in RC that Mushrooms, Zoas, Scolys and Acans are the most powerful LPS...Only mushies and zoas can be put next to an acan without the acan attacking it. In fact, I remembered a post in RC where the Acan was totally whacked by the mushroom.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I read somewhere in RC that Mushrooms, Zoas, Scolys and Acans are the most powerful LPS...Only mushies and zoas can be put next to an acan without the acan attacking it. In fact, I remembered a post in RC where the Acan was totally whacked by the mushroom.

wow these small little guys so powerful.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
it started to shrink and vomit mucus..dun know whether is it becoz lights too strong or wat.

but my other common orange yumas no problem.

maybe i left it at GO for a few days under MH b4 i collect and when i placed it at my tank, it's not able to get used to it.

I don't think it is the light. Could be some other reason. I had some experiences with brains from GO that basically receded and died within 1 week of putting in my tank. Seems that they couldn't get used to my tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

My very first experience with a Yuma getting totally whacked by a zoa and it has to be my most expensive Yuma... :pirate:

Just to add on, it actually ate through the Yuma disc and only a thin slice of flesh was connecting the two sides of the Yuma when I saw it in the morning.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
I don't think it is the light. Could be some other reason. I had some experiences with brains from GO that basically receded and died within 1 week of putting in my tank. Seems that they couldn't get used to my tank.

Got to check with Shan...coz my red trachy also faced same problem...initially pui pui & healthy looking...after a few weeks become skinny...like tio cancer...eventually i threw it away.

i tot yuma and zoas shd be good friends...looks like i cannot place any zoas near my yuma.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Got to check with Shan...coz my red trachy also faced same problem...initially pui pui & healthy looking...after a few weeks become skinny...like tio cancer...eventually i threw it away.

i tot yuma and zoas shd be good friends...looks like i cannot place any zoas near my yuma.

Yeah, best not to. Better to be safe than sorry.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Seems that the two Yuma pieces can't survive...Prepared for $180 down the drain... :cry2:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• Senior Reefer

hmm.. zoas and yumas should not kill each other. my guess is the yuma got hurt and melted. have some yumas growing inbetween zoas. no problem. if anything, yumas will kill zoas because of the sting. zoas are basically harmless in terms of physical warfare. chemical wise, another issue.

Acans are one of the strongest LPS. maybe even stronger/comparable than/to cataphyllia/euphyllias. they don't sting, but instead, extrude mesenterial filaments (digestive organs), and pour them all over the surrounding rocks/corals. then, they will practically 'digest' these corals alive. look at acanthastrea at night and you might see the mesenterial filaments. I'm not sure if A. lordhowensis does this, but A. echinata is one of the most aggressive acans.

• SRC Member
hmm.. zoas and yumas should not kill each other. my guess is the yuma got hurt and melted. have some yumas growing inbetween zoas. no problem. if anything, yumas will kill zoas because of the sting. zoas are basically harmless in terms of physical warfare. chemical wise, another issue.

Acans are one of the strongest LPS. maybe even stronger/comparable than/to cataphyllia/euphyllias. they don't sting, but instead, extrude mesenterial filaments (digestive organs), and pour them all over the surrounding rocks/corals. then, they will practically 'digest' these corals alive. look at acanthastrea at night and you might see the mesenterial filaments. I'm not sure if A. lordhowensis does this, but A. echinata is one of the most aggressive acans.

Not sure what happened but what I know is zoa fell on Yuma, nothing happened to zoa, yuma dead. End of the day, my Yuma still got killed by my zoa.

But my Yuma didn't look as if it melted. it looked like it got eaten up much like what happened to my brain when I put it too close to my acan. The whole flesh just got digested and became a slimy mess.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Not sure what happened but what I know is zoa fell on Yuma, nothing happened to zoa, yuma dead. End of the day, my Yuma still got killed by my zoa.

But my Yuma didn't look as if it melted. it looked like it got eaten up much like what happened to my brain when I put it too close to my acan. The whole flesh just got digested and became a slimy mess.

bro, so really a loss alrdy? sorry to hear that ... i still remember staring at that on GO's top tank ...

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
bro, so really a loss alrdy? sorry to hear that ... i still remember staring at that on GO's top tank ...

Should be...just now when I checked seems to be shrinking in size and melting away. $180 Yuma gone for good... :cry:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

YumaNew.jpg

Sad day for me...RIP... :cry2:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

cheer up bro, you will get something better in future.

As for the $$.... well money come, money goes but money will come again.... and go and come..... :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
cheer up bro, you will get something better in future.

As for the $$.... well money come, money goes but money will come again.... and go and come..... :)

I think more money goes than comes... :eyebrow:

Anyway, will be keeping an eye out for nicer Yumas in the next GO shipment. Just hope that it doesn't cost me another $180 and die on me within a week... :nuke:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
I think more money goes than comes... :eyebrow:

Anyway, will be keeping an eye out for nicer Yumas in the next GO shipment. Just hope that it doesn't cost me another $180 and die on me within a week... :nuke:

Sorry to hear abt yr financial lost.

I would suggest not to go during shipment day unless there is some rare stuff like aussie scolymia / acan / US zoas...usually it cost around 9 red notes for fist size yuma. The exotic one which Shan showed me last time was $200 but it was as big as my entire hand and its super orangy red.

Acan lord can cost around $160, but if you go one or 2 days later, its half of that price.

I bought one red prata from him and he quote me >$180...i just give him that bo chap look and later he came back and offer me $100...you have to be patient and be a good negotiator...dun be so gan cheong...take yr time relag...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Sorry to hear abt yr financial lost.

I would suggest not to go during shipment day unless there is some rare stuff like aussie scolymia / acan / US zoas...usually it cost around 9 red notes for fist size yuma. The exotic one which Shan showed me last time was $200 but it was as big as my entire hand and its super orangy red.

Acan lord can cost around $160, but if you go one or 2 days later, its half of that price.

I bought one red prata from him and he quote me >$180...i just give him that bo chap look and later he came back and offer me $100...you have to be patient and be a good negotiator...dun be so gan cheong...take yr time relag...

Pratas, Cynarinas, Brains, Acans dun need to buy on shipment day. :rolleyes: Yumas usually 6-8 pieces only and the nice ones are usually snapped up on shipment day. Zoas, sometimes he got some really nice ones so if you want these you still have to go on shipment day. :whistle

Normally I don't go on shipment days unless there are some corals that I really want. Just so happened that this time there were two zoas and that Yuma that I really wanted so I went much earlier than usual. :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: