Need help feeding Mandarin Fish

• SRC Member

I love it when he sucks the sand and like smoke puffs out from his 2 holes at the back of the head. I assume those are part of his gills :)

waaah ok then I train him to eat from the corner he always occupies. waah this is harder than training dogs to follow your commands man...

I love it when he sucks the sand and like smoke puffs out from his 2 holes at the back of the head. I assume those are part of his gills :)

yah I love watching them do that too..... simply awesome & intriguing ...

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
wrong my friend :) i have trained my mandarin to eat from a given spot on the sandbed.

ahhh.. why didnt i think of that...

my mandarins always frequent this particular spot in my tank during feeding time..

maybe i should try :eyebrow:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
i also have one which feed on pellet also first i got it seem funny doen't wanna feed on anything in my QT so i fish it out and put it in a betta tank floating and i put a clown together just not to let it bored to deaf but my clown love pellet so i feed it with pellet 2-3times a day leaving some left behind after a week long i discover all the left over pellet go missing after an hr time when feeding at first i thought the clown took it but then i try and feed it again the clown just swim and clown around the mandarin and like kissing it lol after which i saw my mandarin took the pellet it was a great time to celebrate but i droupt all mandarin will have the same character just like humans so u may try this but at your own risk

anyway for ur info the mandarin i got it from T95

Jeeze bro... don't you use punctuation? Reading your post always leave me breathless. ;)

Btw, what type of pellets do you guys feed them with? Since they are more of bottom dwellers, any good sinking pellets to recommend? Does NLS have them?

• Senior Reefer
Jeeze bro... don't you use punctuation? Reading your post always leave me breathless. ;)

Btw, what type of pellets do you guys feed them with? Since they are more of bottom dwellers, any good sinking pellets to recommend? Does NLS have them?

i feed NLS. NLS is a sinking pellet if u throw hard enough into the water.

Ah... so there's a trick to it. Mine is in an auto feeder, so it drops on the water gently. Not sinking fast enough though through this auto feeder.

Is it possible to train them to eat from a feeding cup like what i do for my seahorses? I would place the mysis using a pair of very long tongs into the cup and the seahorses will be waiting there, or will swim over. This method lessens pollution and the seahorses only need to compete with shrimp. I have seen a video posted by someone whereby the mandarin feeds from a cup or bottle.

• Senior Reefer
Is it possible to train them to eat from a feeding cup like what i do for my seahorses? I would place the mysis using a pair of very long tongs into the cup and the seahorses will be waiting there, or will swim over. This method lessens pollution and the seahorses only need to compete with shrimp. I have seen a video posted by someone whereby the mandarin feeds from a cup or bottle.

possible. as long as the food remains inside the cup and does not flow away, or get stolen by other fast moving fish, the mandarin will eat from it if it pass by. provided its a feeding specimen. have tried this before....but in a boisterous tank like mine, this doesnt last long :)

• SRC Member

i've seen on reefcentral, during feeding, a reefer uses a glass bottle/container, that has an opening big enough for the mandarin only.. as such, big hungry fishes will not be able to enter and snatch the food away..

the mandarin will take its time inside the container eating his buffet, alongside other smaller peaceful fishes that can enter the container maybe..

very good concept, hope that helps.. :)

• Senior Reefer
i've seen on reefcentral, during feeding, a reefer uses a glass bottle/container, that has an opening big enough for the mandarin only.. as such, big hungry fishes will not be able to enter and snatch the food away..

the mandarin will take its time inside the container eating his buffet, alongside other smaller peaceful fishes that can enter the container maybe..

yes i saw that thread too!

• SRC Member

Great idea... but my wrasses prob can squeeze in also la... can forget about this idea... target feed with balloon stick is the best. Squirt near the mandarin, use balloon stick to defend the food from my fishes. lol dunno why my mandarin never ever gets frightened by my balloon stick.

• SRC Member
Great idea... but my wrasses prob can squeeze in also la... can forget about this idea... target feed with balloon stick is the best. Squirt near the mandarin, use balloon stick to defend the food from my fishes. lol dunno why my mandarin never ever gets frightened by my balloon stick.

*gasp* You whip your fishes? :upsidedown::P

• SRC Member
*gasp* You whip your fishes? :upsidedown::P

lol it's quite effective lei... i wack them afew times for being naughty... nowadays they see rod only know not to anyhow disturb me feeding the mandarin.

like the say... spare the rod, spoil the child.

err, i mean fish... :D

• SRC Member
lol it's quite effective lei... i wack them afew times for being naughty... nowadays they see rod only know not to anyhow disturb me feeding the mandarin.

like the say... spare the rod, spoil the child.

err, i mean fish... :D

Haha, I do that to sometimes, but now when i bring in the rod, specially my clown and damsel start to nip on the rod ... :blink:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

a rare red variant mandarin fish. not with me anymore :) its living in a good place now haha.

Is this the one which you bought from CF that day ? SO fast you are selling it away ?

• Senior Reefer
Is this the one which you bought from CF that day ? SO fast you are selling it away ?

hi HM! i bought this long before our trip to CF. decided to give it to bro reddevilz instead of keeping it. had initial thoughts of selling my existing mandarin, but decided not to. and since both the red one and my current one are males, decided to give the red one to reddevilz.

the one i bought from CF that day was a female red mandarin. i'm keeping it now and its still with me :) paired up with my male blue one. so now have an odd couple haha.

• SRC Member
Oic.. Nice to have one of each color. Regretted not getting one red mandarin during that day when i was with you guys.. Hope i can one again in CF.

will keep a look out for you Larry.

why didnt you get it that day? but still, it might be a blessing in disguise.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

will keep a look out for you Larry.

keep me posted too if you see a red one :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
keep me posted too if you see a red one :)

sure why not, pm me your contact jacky ;)

you guys will be first to hear it if i come across it

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

me too also interested anyway how to see male and female??

male mandarin has the long "antenna" on its fin