my 2 cents

spirit

Hi all,

i discovered most of the members (i mentioned most but not all) here are not really that helpful. Correct me if i am not right but you guys are talking among your "bro" in your own small community in this forum and sometimes ignoring newbies like us. Like this new guy askin what and where is GO and apparently noone replying or telling him.

sorry if i said anything wrong. no hard feeling. just sometimes feels sad being ignored. thats my main reason i seldom talk.

• SRC Member
Hi all,

i discovered most of the members (i mentioned most but not all) here are not really that helpful. Correct me if i am not right but you guys are talking among your "bro" in your own small community in this forum and sometimes ignoring newbies like us. Like this new guy askin what and where is GO and apparently noone replying or telling him.

sorry if i said anything wrong. no hard feeling. just sometimes feels sad being ignored. thats my main reason i seldom talk.

bro care to share which thread it is? I don't think there is any lack in helping/advising reefers here.

If really, I would assume that the post was prob not seen by most bros because it was a busy day and his thread got pushed down by a flood of other new topics. That's the reason why sellers in pasar malam always up their sales: so their thread don't get burried with new threads.

Let's say you go to a party where you don't know anyone. Everyone seems to be talking in their own little groups. Do you try to mingle ard and get to know new friends? Or you sit in a corner and deduce that this party is not open to newcomers? I believe that it takes 2 hands to clap, and you will find that this community is not as cold as you assume. Just my 2 cents too bro

• Senior Reefer
Hi all,

Bro, the term bro is used to address other reefers. it is not a club or group thing. some questions can be found very easily by doing a search. for example, there is a thread about all the LFS in singapore, and there is even a map to show where it is. simple questions like this can be found by searching the forum. Moreover, such questions are being repeated again and again and again. which makes it all the more easy to search.. so sometimes we don't answer. doesn't mean we don't care, or we are not helpful.

do feel free to ask more questions and we will try to help you. this forum has been up for many years already, so sometimes you can get better answers by using the search tool.

i do know what do you guys mean. as some of them are new comers and know limited abt this hobby thats why they cant really get into the topics and thus they could only ask some question to try to understand. but somehow i realised that maybe the people here regarded those as "too silly question" to ask and then ignoring them. i am not pin-poining on someone or the "bro" mentioning as i know they mean no harm. just want people here to look more onto those new comers here to let them feel welcome. as i said, i dont want any hard feeling as all of us here are reefers and mean to be happy in our hobby.

Hi spirit,

I feel it would be unfair to make such a generalization. Such happenings are a common occurrence in all forums. If you had posted more than 4 times since 2003, I am sure you would not make this kind of generalization. I would be sure that you would have received much more assistance than you would have anticipated.

Regards,

Junkai

P.S: These comments come from my own and in no way represent the SRC moderatorship.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

well i am in this site since the opening of this site and i set up this account just to give some comment. i understdn what do you mean too, just that i hope everyone look into this matter thats all to help the new guys around. i may be one of your buddy around bro fuel, just that i do not what to review my own id to avoid unnecessary distrubtion. happy reefing guys!

• Moderators

Hi bro spirit,

Thanks for your comments. But let me share my experience in this hobby.

When I started this hobby in 1996, there is no forum as such. I had to look out yellow pages, visit LFS which I know and talk to the people who visit them or the owner to find out more about the hobby, new LFS location, etc.

Read up books on the hobby, try and test whatever theories written there.

I do noticed that with the "advance" technology these days, we lost this "self-help" effort to find out info.

I started using this forum using search function whenever I came across a name I'm not sure. Maybe this is me.

We simply just post and wait for reply. If we get, we just say thank you! if not, we got this feeling what kind of people this forum had.

People who know me will know that I do share my experience/ideas when we meet in LFS, my place, etc when in met person.

Not everyone are the know to be have the ability to share using forum. Sometime due to language barrier, etc.

I always believe putting the extra effort will make you feel more attached to this hobby! Like you said Happy Reefing! :)

This is my personal opinion and comment not that as a mod. Cheers mate!!! :peace:

Tom

• SRC Member
well i am in this site since the opening of this site and i set up this account just to give some comment. i understdn what do you mean too, just that i hope everyone look into this matter thats all to help the new guys around. i may be one of your buddy around bro fuel, just that i do not what to review my own id to avoid unnecessary distrubtion. happy reefing guys!

i have to agree its very irritating to have questions unanswered.

i also have to agree that the answers to most common questions can be found with a little search or more effort.

SO if everyone does not make the effort to search and find some answers.... We can easily have 20 new threads a day in General Reefkeeping asking " Where is GO? "

That may not be a problem but if u think in the mod's point of view, he will have to answer it 20 times.

My brain do work to think in everyone's perceptive sorry bout that.

So here's my take.. its just fair for everyone to do some search and reading before asking questions that they seriously cant find answers too.

We need to be fair to everyone.

Disclaimer:

Too much time spent on answering questions here might result in algae bloom from not maintaining your tanks(This assumption has yet to be statistically proven by algorithms)

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

I think Spirit's keypoint is just a reminder for old birds to take care newbies which I think is not too bad in this forum over here thus far.

carrying my 4 month old now so cannot type too much. cheers!

rgds

jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Hi all,

hi spirit,

please dun restraint from sharing your opinion. your opinion/suggestion is always welcome. I missed the other person's question on the location of GO, or else I will reply him on that as well.

I dun think you said anything wrong for voicing out and please dun be upset being ignored. please contribute as well, I am sure things will get better with the new mods and more active members so dun keep urself from sharing.

cheers

happy reefing

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
I think Spirit's keypoint is just a reminder for old birds to take care newbies which I think is not too bad in this forum over here thus far.

carrying my 4 month old now so cannot type too much. cheers!

rgds

jacky

agree

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

agree

Bro Spirit, you might not know that sometime we do PM the newbies regarding their concerns too.

Hi all newbies, I think it is time you speak up on this matter to justify by the statement made by Bro Spirit. It will not be that good if all the comments are made by the senior reefers. Just my 2 cents.

• SRC Member
Bro Spirit, you might not know that sometime we do PM the newbies regarding their concerns too.

Hi all newbies, I think it is time you speak up on this matter to justify by the statement made by Bro Spirit. It will not be that good if all the comments are made by the senior reefers. Just my 2 cents.

on top of that, PM makes it hard to miss a question. :D

i do PM many questions and the answers come real quick from seniors.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

Hi, I have only just recently returned to this forum and I would like to second spirit.

I posted both a thread and a post about where i could find a seahorse. The thread has more than 50 views and the post was posted at one of the busiest thread, the weekly LFS sighting. But no one answered me. So i had to search from shop to shop and being a student with no car it was very inconvenient. Finally i found some tigertail seahorses at Iwarna. Many of the bros here who were scouting Iwarna for "gems" could have just posted a quick note or PMed me but none did so.

Now I remember why i left this forum in the first place...

TS,

I beg to differ. When I just joined the forum, I PM one of the reefer bros here and he was very kind to tell me that he may not want to sell me the tankset he was selling because I might give up the hobby half way and waste money. He then offered to guide me through a tank setup and other information before I buy.

I've been using other hobby forums for years, photography, fishing, PPCs, u name it. And this is the first time I ever got such response. Other hobby forums that I know will just sell you what they want to get rid off and good luck to you if it does not work as advertised.

About asking questions, it's generally better to do some research before posting questions, sometimes, simple questions has been asked too many times and people do just ignore them. That's what the search funtion and google is for ...

Now, I've still no idea what/where's GO but I do know that Aquamarin has some seahorses (not familiar with species though) so if anyone wants to buy them, go give them a call :eyebrow:

Happy reefing !

Hi, I have only just recently returned to this forum and I would like to second spirit.

I posted both a thread and a post about where i could find a seahorse. The thread has more than 50 views and the post was posted at one of the busiest thread, the weekly LFS sighting. But no one answered me. So i had to search from shop to shop and being a student with no car it was very inconvenient. Finally i found some tigertail seahorses at Iwarna. Many of the bros here who were scouting Iwarna for "gems" could have just posted a quick note or PMed me but none did so.

WAH BRO... U DAMN JAILAT.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=74534&hl=

Post once or twice, no one respond then you not happy.

So many ppl assisted you with your above thread previously.

Maybe ppl cannot remember that seahorse was available?

Whatever it is, don't just look at the dark clouds lah, so many silver lining around.

I am a newby just joined 1 month plus.... found the journey here enjoyable so far and yes, some of my threads/ posts have been ignored before!

Chill and enjoy the hobby.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
GO is just an example i made bro peacemaker. and glad to hear if all the newbies are happy around here. once more, happy reefing to all!

My point is simple: if you are willing to help, by all means post a solution to the question. Since when did the responsibility fall only onto others, esp the moderators, and not on you, if you know the answer to a question from a newbie, but refuse to post? This forum is like a community, and in order to make it work, it takes everyone's contribution, big or small. Unless you have a double nick or something, why don't you start to contribute more to this community, instead of starting a thread of displeasure after your first post in 6 years?

• Senior Reefer

Hi bro, couple of things to address to you.

You mentioned you were looking for sea horses. In future, please be more specific. What kind of seahorses you looking for, etc. Many people who go to LFS, only look out for what they need, or what other people specially ask them to look out for. Some may see a seahorse, but forget to post on the forum because they feel it is not worth mentioning, or simply forgot. i have done this many a times.

secondly, why didn't you call the shop to ask for seahorses instead of going down shop by shop without a car? Since you had your item of interest in mind, and you knwo what you are looking for, calling the LFS up to enquire does not sound so hard right? Rather than wait for people to help you when you can help yourself.

There are two things of concern here. 1) the "un-helpfullness" of the forum community, and number 2), the fact that you can help yourself easily and be independent. Take this case for example. i have just pointed to you that you can give the LFSs a call to enquire. But you did not even try, yet here you are complaining.

Sorry if i sound harsh, but this is from my own personal view as a fellow reefer, and has nothing to do with my moderator status here in SRC.

edit, i am a student myself and so are many others on this forum. i know how u feel so don't misunderstand what i am trying to put across here. And like what jackywong has mentioned, there are reefers who helped you in your weipro skimmer question. There are many people here willing to help and give advice, and i feel it is unfair to judge them based on one incident.

:peace:

Fate and "chemistry"........

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

just to add, this is an open forum, no one owns anyone a living here. Just reef on happily. Irregardless of snr or junior.....and there is no jr or snr....there are many hidden tigers crouching dragons....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Supporter
Hi all,

Hi Spirit,

we have about 13,000 memebers so far so " most " mean how many to you ?? I didnt know of your intention of your post here, and since you did not state any past post that justify your statement that the members here " not being too helpful and friendly ? I suggest that you did a serach on past post and you understand what we mean.

You said that you are a newbie here but you mention that you are visting this site since the opneing of this forum ?, and you might know some of the reefer here too ? Doesn't that sound abit Contradicting to us ?