HAVING ALGAE PROBLEM :(

• SRC Member

hey..can anyone help me in my tank?all of a sudden,am having an outburst of algae growing like normal plants..making my tank hideous..i keep removing the algae from the rocks but they tend to grow back withink days..could anyone advise me please..i have decreased my amout of t5's and MH use..but am still having problems..please advise.

thanks

Tank - 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Custom Cabinet

Sump -3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft Custom Sump

Return Pump - Aquabee 5000

Protein Skimmer - Skimz SM200

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

FR - Skimz Monzter FM 100

Wavemaker - Tunze Nano 6025

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Water Top up - Powered by Aquatronica

Lighting -2 x 54W ATI True Actinic T5 Custom Light Stand

Lighting - 2 x 250W MH with Reeflux 12K SE Custom Light Stand

Computer - Aquatronica

Magnet cleaner - Algae free Hammer Head

• SRC Member

by when i mean algae problem,i mean hair algae..

thanks

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

• SRC Member

i used this product which i bought frm AM that is soposed to help cut down the algae but supringsly it increased the growth rapidly...so i stopped..so just water changes?

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

do get some livestocks that can control them and ensure good water parameter....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

use algaeX from fauna marin. u can get it from petmart in serangoon north. it's the only product i know that works.

That is another option, but it does not solve your high nitrate and phosphate levels. Your algae should serve to you as a general gauge on how your tank is doing, slow algae growth would mean that your tank is most likely doing fine from the waste export point of view and rapid algae growth would mean that you need to so something about your tank. Getting rid of algae using chemicals that target and kill algae will be just like sweeping the problems of your tank under the rug and waiting for it to catch up with you (your fish and coral will die if nitrate and phosphate levels get too high). Just my 2 cents worth. The best way and the correct way to get rid of algae is to take measures that lower your phosphate and nitrate levels.

PS: Algae also helps you to remove nitrates and phospates in your tank to some extent; the algae that you scrape off will land in the protein skimmer, effectively removing the nitrate and phosphate ions that the algae took in to 'build' itself.

Excellent advice... seem like the senior here have not spoken or render advices...

The Big Gang are busy in another thread...

That is another option, but it does not solve your high nitrate and phosphate levels. Your algae should serve to you as a general gauge on how your tank is doing, slow algae growth would mean that your tank is most likely doing fine from the waste export point of view and rapid algae growth would mean that you need to so something about your tank. Getting rid of algae using chemicals that target and kill algae will be just like sweeping the problems of your tank under the rug and waiting for it to catch up with you (your fish and coral will die if nitrate and phosphate levels get too high). Just my 2 cents worth. The best way and the correct way to get rid of algae is to take measures that lower your phosphate and nitrate levels.

PS: Algae also helps you to remove nitrates and phospates in your tank to some extent; the algae that you scrape off will land in the protein skimmer, effectively removing the nitrate and phosphate ions that the algae took in to 'build' itself.

Excellent advice... seem like the senior here have not spoken or render advices...

The Big Gang are busy in another thread...

my goodness, another alternate nick. Sigh.....

friend, look at the number of responses from fellow reefers already.

all enthusiastic to help.

On the other hand, I have not seen Jas7 respond to those questions. (Or would you happen to be Jas7 by any chance? - Just a very wild guess)

When a TS post a question, I suppose he would like some help.

It does not matter if help comes from a senior reefer on this forum or a nooby on this forum.

The response from the fellow reefers are valid consideration points that can help to reduce hair algae.

A person could have joined this forum 2 months ago but have been keeping marine for 20 yrs.

So is he considered a newbie or senior? Or would you like response from Moderators only? Please check definition of moderators. They are to moderate the topics, post, contents ...... It is NOT their responsibility to respond to each and every thread/ questions.

IF you want a response from them only, Please PM them. NOT POST A THREAD!

Sorry getting rather pissed at this recurring topic. Am I the only one feels that someone is trying to sow discord and create trouble here?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Our friendly neighbourhood alternate nick police.

Apart from the great general solutions, more details bout your tank specs despite your attempts to bring algae down can help rectify the problem with a deeper analysis.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member
Sorry getting rather pissed at this recurring topic. Am I the only one feels that someone is trying to sow discord and create trouble here?

Totally agree with you bro. If Crockett seems so interested in getting expert advice, then maybe he should just go LFS and ask. Afterall, LFS have been running business for so long, they should be expert right?

Pls use some common sense... good advice are already forthcoming. Maybe the mods could take a look at these 'new' members who have so much constructive feedback to give.

• SRC Member
how old is your tank bro? Could be new tank syndrome if just started not too long.

Having low nutrients , cleanup crew, min. feeding should help to control your hair algae. If your bio-load too high, time to sell off some fishes.

my tank is 2.5 years old..bio load is not that much

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

• SRC Member
do you use a DI unit or just top up your tank with plain tap water?

..hey bro.. no i use tap water..

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

• SRC Member

thanks..will measure the phosphate level

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

• SRC Member

actually bro..the algae grows not that fast and not that slow.its just that if it grows..it looks really long like human hair..around max would be 2 inches..really nasty..hahaha..but i try to pull them off and i do succeed but of course they grow back..so i should just maintain the phospate level huh?thanks alot..your advice was well spoken..spot on! :)

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060

Computer - Aquatronica

• SRC Member

friend, look at the number of responses from fellow reefers already.

all enthusiastic to help.

On the other hand, I have not seen Jas7 respond to those questions. (Or would you happen to be Jas7 by any chance? - Just a very wild guess)

When a TS post a question, I suppose he would like some help.

It does not matter if help comes from a senior reefer on this forum or a nooby on this forum.

The response from the fellow reefers are valid consideration points that can help to reduce hair algae.

A person could have joined this forum 2 months ago but have been keeping marine for 20 yrs.

So is he considered a newbie or senior? Or would you like response from Moderators only? Please check definition of moderators. They are to moderate the topics, post, contents ...... It is NOT their responsibility to respond to each and every thread/ questions.

IF you want a response from them only, Please PM them. NOT POST A THREAD!

and no i am myself..Jas7 is here..i do not have any other profiles thank you..this is my only profile as it is my name..and 7 is my favourite number..am not some crockett or whatever..thanks :)

and wanted to say thanks to EVERYONE who has been helping me out..pls dnt mind in the late replying as i am always busy but when i find time to come to SRC i will definetly reply..thanks alot once again EVERYONE :)

Chiller - Artica 1/4 HP

CR - Skimz CR100

Wavemaker - Tunze 6060