peacemaker's Office Nano 3

peacemaker

• SRC Member

Extracted from LiveAquaria:

The Purple Firefish, also known as the Decorated Firefish, Purple Dartfish, Decorated Dartfish, or Flame Firefish, was first discovered in the Indo-west-Pacific Ocean in 1973 by Randall and Allen. The colorful body base is varied degrees of yellow to white, and deep shades of purple which begin at the head and ends with maroon-tipped fins.

It requires a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of loose coral rubble as part of the aquascape, and a tight-fitting lid to prevent it from jumping out of the tank. It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair.

The Purple Firefish will feed mostly on prey suspended in the water column, but will pick food off the substrate. Its varied diet should consist of chopped or shaved seafood, frozen food preparations for carnivores, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. The vibrant coloring will fade if not fed a vitamin-enriched diet.

Strange isn't it? I guess it has something to do with our tank size?

post-13914-1262451739_thumb.jpg

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup I think u are rgiht. Small tank and all other other nano tankmates are too soft. In huge tank, they will be too pre-occupied by the larger fishes. I bought a huge one. I think smaller size firefish will be less aggressive. Will swop this fella out once I get hold of a helfriech.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
i hav e same experience also with purple firefish. it chase n kill my royal gamma.... :(

bought my first and only purple firefish when i first started out this hobby..

till this day, its my one and only surviving one from my first batch of fishes..

he does have his small territory in a small area of my 2ft cube..

so far never seen it aggressive..

i'm also keeping a royal gramma..

on the other hand this guy seem to look fiercer..

sometimes it will open his mouth really wide as a sign of asking some of the fishes to get out of his territory,

but it never chases anyone..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

wow, purple firefish kill wrase and gramma? omg!!

bro jacky, cf got 3 helfinchi. there for 2wks quite well conditioned liao i guess.

thanks red. Will try to make a trip down tml.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
bought my first and only purple firefish when i first started out this hobby..

till this day, its my one and only surviving one from my first batch of fishes..

he does have his small territory in a small area of my 2ft cube..

so far never seen it aggressive..

i'm also keeping a royal gramma..

on the other hand this guy seem to look fiercer..

sometimes it will open his mouth really wide as a sign of asking some of the fishes to get out of his territory,

but it never chases anyone..

Glad that yours is acting normally, but you do have a bigger tank. Mine would be pretty similar to Jacky's, 1.5 Ft cube display with lots of corals and other fishes, so territory is limited. -_- The funny thing is I have not seen it chase other fishes other than the other purple firefish (I have 2) and the yellow wrasse. It doesn't touch the true perc juvenile pair, nor the neon goby.

The 2 Yashia gobies are hidden in their caves most of the time, so no hostility there. Btw, they seem to hold their own quite well, opening up their huge jaws whenever any fishes swim too close for comfort.

Helfriches are so over-priced IMO. You must get something to cover the tank top to prevent it from carpet surfing, or it'll be a very expensive lesson to pay. <_<

Haha I just updated my thread.

Saw them but did not buy.

As for price... hmmm.... I also do not understand how a purple fish can 10 times cheaper than a Helfrich.

Maybe should ask Fuel to breed them.

• SRC Member
Haha I just updated my thread.

Saw them but did not buy.

As for price... hmmm.... I also do not understand how a purple fish can 10 times cheaper than a Helfrich.

Maybe should ask Fuel to breed them.

Getting them to pair up is going to be quite a challenge, let alone breeding them. :eyebrow:

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

There's a thin piece of velvet-like cloth that somewhat protects the tank from scratches. The magnet is not that strong though. Imagine a small magnet glass cleaner on a 10mm thick glass. Holds firm for me, but could be better IMO (think Tunze). Some specs listed.

post-13914-1266647052_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266647063_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266647087_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266647095_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Growth of my cheato in slightly more than a month. Hard to tell from the pics, but a rough estimate is more than double the size of what I had before using the Nano-Glo. Slightly bigger than a tennis ball for the first pic, and slightly smaller than a soccer ball for the second.

post-13914-1266647695_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266647706_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Summary -

Pros:

- small in size, good for IOS tanks

- effective as a fuge light (cheato growth was amazing)

- keep things neat and tidy with the lights hidden at the back

Cons:

- the strength of the magnet can be further improved

- effectiveness may drop depending on the cleanliness of the glass

In short, I would recommend this product, especially for those who are keeping IOS tanks.

• SRC Member

Bought an AquaC Remora Nano skimmer from a friendly reefer recently, and have only put it in action just before CNY. It took less than 3 days to run in (skimmer is almost brand new), and that's the amount of junk it has pulled out within the next 5 days. Running on a MaxiJet 900.

It's quite noisy as it uses an injector system to create the bubbles under high pressure. Mods can be found online for noise reduction, but I've yet to try it out. Hopefully, my colleagues will be able to endure while I fix it. :P

The skimmer body literally consists of thick acrylic sheets joined together. Its rather heavy, so there's a slight concern if it could withstand the weight as a HOB skimmer. Unlike my Dymax LS10, this is not something you can trash around without it breaking apart.

Overall, for the price that I paid, I'm happy with its performance so far. Swiping the thick gunk off the riser tube with my fingers during the wash gives me the satisfaction that this toy is doing his job. :D

post-13914-1266729225_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266729234_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266729242_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1266729251_thumb.jpg

Bought an AquaC Remora Nano skimmer from a friendly reefer recently, and have only put it in action just before CNY. It took less than 3 days to run in (skimmer is almost brand new), and that's the amount of junk it has pulled out within the next 5 days. Running on a MaxiJet 900.

It's quite noisy as it uses an injector system to create the bubbles under high pressure. Mods can be found online for noise reduction, but I've yet to try it out. Hopefully, my colleagues will be able to endure while I fix it. :P

The skimmer body literally consists of thick acrylic sheets joined together. Its rather heavy, so there's a slight concern if it could withstand the weight as a HOB skimmer. Unlike my Dymax LS10, this is not something you can trash around without it breaking apart.

Overall, for the price that I paid, I'm happy with its performance so far. Swiping the thick gunk off the riser tube with my fingers during the wash gives me the satisfaction that this toy is doing his job. :D

nice skimmer.. :paiseh:

Someday i will dare to put my tanks specification here and u will envy it.PLEASE GIVE ME HIGHER RATING=)my tank

you got it ahead of me from the reefer.

:P

• SRC Member
you got it ahead of me from the reefer.

:P

Hmmmm... which reefer are you referring to? I got this more than a month back, and only started using it last week. There's another guy selling it this week, but I think its sold. You should consider grabbing one when its available. Personally, I think its most ideal for 1.5 Ft cube tanks. :eyebrow:

Eugene

so whats your secret??

your zoas looked extremely healthy. all opened big big.....

hows the maxspect doing for you?

• SRC Member

Thanks bro! No secret, really. I'm kinda playing cheat here, since I'm only posting photos that seemingly look good. :P You should see some of my other zoas that are not doing too well. I was just back from reservist just before CNY, and since I had the whole week off as well, took the chance to do a major over haul (thorough cleaning - literally shaving my tank of the accumulated algae with a razor blade, and a rescape with lots of re-sticking loose frags). I lost some frags in the process due to stress.

Personally, a stable system (well established bacteria colony), regular water changes, good flow and a healthy specimen goes a long way. Also, taking things slow in stocking gives the system time to adjust and accommodate, thus contributing to stability. As for lights, it varies from zoa to zoa. Some do well in strong lights, while others thrive in lower areas. Not shifting it too much is good, in fact, no corals like that. Once you found the sweet spot, stick it there and leave it.

MaxSpect is serving me well. Good recommendation. I would like to thank Razali & Kevin (DE Lightings) for their good customer support. Cheers!

• SRC Member