Setup Refugium

• SRC Member

I'm tinkering with the idea of setting up a ~10 gallon refugium (18x12x18). Actually have been tinkering about it for some time, but my main consideration when starting up the tank was just to get it up and running. Now tt I have some experience, looking for ways to improve it. I have no sump, running on canister, and don't intend to change to sump. Very happy with my canister, and it looks way neater. Currently toying with the idea of setting up an above tank display fuge. My aim for this project:

1. Nutrient export to curb algae growth in the tank via cheato algae. ( I want my white sand back, new tank syndrome but still, its a + for fuge)

2. Pod cultivation. ( I want to keep mandarin and other hard to feed fishes)

3. Nice looking mini display of refuge for fishes / other LS tt I otherwise wouldn't be able to keep in main tank. (think harlequin, anemone shrimps, the like. Maybe can serve as a frag tank too!?)

4. Serve as a denitrator? Still toying around with the idea of dsb... because it's going to be on display, don't think it will look nice aesthetically. Considering Miracle Mud too, but tt one has mixed reviews. Would be good if I get some comments on this.

My plan so far is quite simple. Refering to my lousy drawing...

post-16489-1255450500_thumb.jpg

the idea is to pump in water from main tank into a small compartment for my MCE600 to do its skimming. The pump will be more powerful than my skimmer, so that this compartment actually overflows out into the refugium. Therefore, my refugium will not be be receiving nutrient starved water from skimmer alone. So with cheato at the back and some LR in front, tt's my idea of a refugium, which will be gravity fed back to my main tank. The refugium will be maintained at a water level of around 1-2" above the main tank waterline. I will be using my 1.5ft 39W 12k daylight fixture on a reverse photo period.

Appreciate your comments on this setup. For example, will I be facing micro bubble issues? or any other thing I've overlooked?

Try not to keep mandrin if your tank size is too small. They need lots of pods to live.

Don't put the skimmer if you want to make the refugium. The pods need all the nutrient waste as food to multiply quickly. Put the skimmer in the main tank itself.

DSB need very fine sand and the denitrifying effect will kick in after 6months.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
Don't put the skimmer if you want to make the refugium. The pods need all the nutrient waste as food to multiply quickly. Put the skimmer in the main tank itself.

DSB need very fine sand and the denitrifying effect will kick in after 6months.

I understand the fuge will need nutrient waste to thrive. Which is why I am planning to create an overflow compartment to feed the fuge with partial skimmed water, and also unskimmed water direct from main tank. I can simply get a stronger pump such that overflow is stronger, and fuge receives 75%/25% from main tank/skimmer.

Has anyone tried a sloping DSB to SSB? Are there any potential pitfalls in doing this? I'm thinking of doing a DSB at the back of the tank up to 5", sloping downards to 1" in front. Probably use LR to prop against the DSB portion to prevent sand from sliding downards. Reason for this is firstly to save cost of purchasing more sand and also because DSB is ugly looking, and the front portion of the tank is on display, so for aesthetic reasons, will only have a thin layer of sand.

Thinking of using this (have to seed with some live sand though):

Caribsea Aragamax Sugar Sized Sand (30 lb)

Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand: 0.2 - 1.2mm diameter grain size. Also known as "oolitic sand," this grade is ideal for shallower bedsallowing dentrification in little 1"depth. The fine can pass easily through gills of gobys and other sand-sifting organisms. smooth round grains are gentle to soft bellied sharks rays. White color metal freeno ash or silica.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...