My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member
hmmm not sure if this is good news or bad news......

Got a geomancy master to check out my house yesterday.

The tank is now in the wrong position.

Need to shift the tank to another location.

Bad news is that I need to relocate it. - tedious and troublesome.

Good news is that I have to do it before end of 2011. ==> that means I have opportunity to plan for a new tank :) hehe.

LOL bro you should have asked geomancer what's the optimal size for your tank... wait he say 6ft I'm sure your princesses will be in heaven! Or maybe underwater paradise :P

btw, I got myself a really nice branch of xenia from GO about 2 weeks back, thx for the offer! I love xenias, gonna try to get other specimans of it.

• SRC Supporter
LOL bro you should have asked geomancer what's the optimal size for your tank... wait he say 6ft I'm sure your princesses will be in heaven! Or maybe underwater paradise :P

btw, I got myself a really nice branch of xenia from GO about 2 weeks back, thx for the offer! I love xenias, gonna try to get other specimans of it.

lemon got 1 that is very rare according to bro fuel.. its a giant bali pompom xenia! LOL!

heard that his is too big and wanting to frag it. if u guys interested can pm him!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
lemon got 1 that is very rare according to bro fuel.. its a giant bali pompom xenia! LOL!

heard that his is too big and wanting to frag it. if u guys interested can pm him!

lol and I would love to get white pom pom xenias... wonder when will we get to see them...

...not according to me lah. According to a website.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

np. maybe I should get a frag from you in future instead :)

will pass this one to one of the new pico owners then.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Bro what color is your xenia?I interrested

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Bro what color is your xenia?I interrested

Sherman

Its the same species as the one you bought in JM.

how's yours doing?

Its yours if you want it.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

My Randall's goby committed suicide today.

I know that jawfish, firefish, wrasse will jump but randall goby?

:(

My Randall's goby committed suicide today.

I know that jawfish, firefish, wrasse will jump but randall goby?

:(

my condolences too bro :erm: i guess covering the tank is the only way to feel safe bout this matter..

i got so many equipments attached on my tank rim that i donno how to cover it completely,maybe get some netting or wat..

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Sherman

Its the same species as the one you bought in JM.

how's yours doing?

Its yours if you want it.

Mine is doing ok and I think it grow a small baby .

If the same better give to others who want it

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

went down to have a look at the helfriech firefish at CF today.

Somehow did not feel comfortable with the condition of the fishes.

fins were a bit torn and seemed to be a tag thin.

So give it a pass instead.

The chevron tang caught my eye too.... was really tempted but again, it seemed slightly tattered and had a couple of white spots.

So both of them did not make it to my tank.

Found a red clown goby - about 1 inch in size. bought it straight away.

dropped it into my tank and within 5 mins, it was out of my sight already.

I have not seen it since. Hopefully, it will appear again tomorrow.

I have seen yellow and green clown gobies. But this huge red one is a good looker.

Awaiting patiently to catch a glimpse.

Wow... need to see some photos as soon as you can take them! :P

yeah, cannot find the mini red clown goby pics on the web too.

HELP NEEDED:

Installed my 2026 the other day and there was a lot of micro bubbles.

left it till today to sort it out.

Turns out that i could have cap the cannister cover wrongly.

redo the whole setup.

remove the tunze cleaner. reconnect all the tubings. installed the eheim surface skimmer, reprime the 2026 and finally got it working. The bad news is that when I restart the 2026, a lot of dirt / debris (like torn dirty paper) filled my tank.

They are definitely coming out from my chiller. The whole tank was full of it. Has anyone encounter this before?

I am using the artica chiller 1/15 HP. all my fishes were so stressed and immediately developed white spots.

My clown is in white poker dots now :( Hope he recovers.

ORP has dropped to 330 from 400.

what are these dirt from the chiller?

I am skeptical of switching the chiller off and on again.

Need some comments and help here.

I cannot see if I have resolve the microbubbles thingy coz it is so dark now.

Will wait till tml evening when the MH is switched on.

here's the FTS after removing 1 more rock and with the surface skimmer installed.

• SRC Supporter

u r using mh? why not led? shld be more suitable for ur tank size.

how is your chiler connected to your tank?

orp arnd 400 is abit on the high side already. too high may cost problem for the tank.

also,orp takes time to build. when u do WC orp will also drop.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

u r using mh? why not led? shld be more suitable for ur tank size.

how is your chiler connected to your tank?

orp arnd 400 is abit on the high side already. too high may cost problem for the tank.

also,orp takes time to build. when u do WC orp will also drop.

LED fan blade broke. So reinstated my MH for the time being till I get it replaced.

water is extracted from my Eheim skimmer to my 2026 to my chiller and return to the tank.

so chiller is the last point after all the filtration. But I experienced the same thing when I connected my Tunze reefpack the last time (brand new). So something in the chiller is contributing to the pollution.

ORP range can be around 350 - 450 right? 400 should be ok I think. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Yes understand about the ORP drop part but this time, it does not recover that quickly.

• SRC Member
HELP NEEDED:

Installed my 2026 the other day and there was a lot of micro bubbles.

left it till today to sort it out.

Turns out that i could have cap the cannister cover wrongly.

redo the whole setup.

remove the tunze cleaner. reconnect all the tubings. installed the eheim surface skimmer, reprime the 2026 and finally got it working. The bad news is that when I restart the 2026, a lot of dirt / debris (like torn dirty paper) filled my tank.

They are definitely coming out from my chiller. The whole tank was full of it. Has anyone encounter this before?

I am using the artica chiller 1/15 HP. all my fishes were so stressed and immediately developed white spots.

My clown is in white poker dots now :( Hope he recovers.

ORP has dropped to 330 from 400.

what are these dirt from the chiller?

I am skeptical of switching the chiller off and on again.

Need some comments and help here.

I cannot see if I have resolve the microbubbles thingy coz it is so dark now.

Will wait till tml evening when the MH is switched on.

A couple of things i have experienced and learnt abt using cannister.

1. There will be "dirty cotton stuff" coming out whenever you clean or restart yr filter.

This is due to the fan motor sucking in the filter wool when kick start and some of these loose filter wool tends to get suck and stuck in the motor chamber. These loose filter debris and dirt can't be help and will be gone after running for a while. So try not to cramp too much filter wool inside.

2. There will be debris accumulated at the bottom of the cannister after running for some time. You can find sand, dirt, worms, blah blah blah...so what i do is every quarter, i will clear and wash my cannister and pour away the "old" water. Thats y my biohome is very impt. They help me to stabilise my waters after a heavy water change and prevent new water syndrome.

3. The micro bubbles can be prevented by adjusting the input and output. I will adjust the output...either by reducing the surface skimmer intake or reducing the outflow. The reason for micro bubbles is because when the intake is too fast, air gets suck in. So, its either you reduce the input or reduce the output.

i hope these info helps.

l7304smr.jpg

Noted on the cannister and the surface skimmer (point 2 & 3)

But on point 1 - the dirt is 100% not from the cannister. It is from within the chiller.

Think will need to ask Artica to come and check it out.

A couple of things i have experienced and learnt abt using cannister.

1. There will be "dirty cotton stuff" coming out whenever you clean or restart yr filter.

This is due to the fan motor sucking in the filter wool when kick start and some of these loose filter wool tends to get suck and stuck in the motor chamber. These loose filter debris and dirt can't be help and will be gone after running for a while. So try not to cramp too much filter wool inside.

2. There will be debris accumulated at the bottom of the cannister after running for some time. You can find sand, dirt, worms, blah blah blah...so what i do is every quarter, i will clear and wash my cannister and pour away the "old" water. Thats y my biohome is very impt. They help me to stabilise my waters after a heavy water change and prevent new water syndrome.

3. The micro bubbles can be prevented by adjusting the input and output. I will adjust the output...either by reducing the surface skimmer intake or reducing the outflow. The reason for micro bubbles is because when the intake is too fast, air gets suck in. So, its either you reduce the input or reduce the output.

i hope these info helps.

• SRC Member

bro what sort of dirt came out from your chiller? Could it have been dirt/algae accumulated from the tubings when you were changing that came out? If it's really out from chiller, I can only think of 2 reasons: the coil is rusting and the 'dirt' you're seeing is actually rust (not very possible), or it could be that your tunze cleaner previously was v. underpowered, so dirt that it couldn't process came out and accumulated in the chiller which the flowrate was not powerful enough to pump back into your tank.

Actually I find both reasons unlikely... More likely it could have come out from dirt accumulated from your canister over the past week which somehow came back out after your adjustments made. Hope your tank settles down.

• SRC Supporter

hi bro, orp 450 u r right,just that frmo 400 to 450 can be quite a fast 1. anyway seems like i cant help much on ur chiller/cannister. had not run a canister before not sure if its link to your prob. let these gurus help u. sorry about that :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

hi bro, orp 450 u r right,just that frmo 400 to 450 can be quite a fast 1. anyway seems like i cant help much on ur chiller/cannister. had not run a canister before not sure if its link to your prob. let these gurus help u. sorry about that :)

np REd.

I am still sure it is not from the cannister.

The chiller leaked these dirt out the 1st day I install it. and each time after i power off and on the pump, it will still leak again.

something inside could be corroded or worn out. definitely not rust though.

Will update you guys once I have the servicing guys here.

Comy, Peace,

need your help to identify some of the zoas I got from you guys if you are free.

pls let me know if their colouration has dropped.

all pics are taken just after the lights are switched on.

The green on the face of this zoas seems to be getting more intense.

The pink for this one is still not really developed.

The colours are still quite pale.

This one is growing nicely.

This one is not opening fully. A lot of the polyps are still closed.

This frag was closed up for a couple of days.

This photo was taken when it was introduced into my tank.

Photo taken today. :) but I have lost 1 polyp.

Peters frag doing well. The orange and green are stronger now.

I can see the brownish red ring now.

This blue zoas are nice. The bigger bunch that I bought from Fuel are still a shade lighter in colour.

I seemed to have lost the redness on the rim. More brownish now. Question, how come some of the rim flare up and look so untidy unlike some other zoas? (like bad hairday) Are they doing ok?

colour seemed to be turning to more brown :(

losing the red color too. Am I correct?

The face seems to be less orangy now for this bunch.

The blue for this zoa is not really visible.

This mini green ones are really nice.

So small that I almost lost them before I glued it.