My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

Go Reborn...U will see some super nice ones... :eyebrow:

yeah like 400+ SGD right??

no way man.... dun have $$ like you

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

cynarinas?? pratas? i suppose you dun like them too.. lol..

kekeke... ya right.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

haha jkin onli :P jacky new fts prz :eyebrow:

okie will do so once Comy's frag are in.

Now a bit messy. My jawfish spout sand all over my red mushies and my Super sun collaspe due to his "sand reclamation" project.

Okie. I am going to try to grow the xenias on the back of my tank wall.

any danger of doing so?

- sucked up by wavemaker?

• SRC Member
Okie. I am going to try to grow the xenias on the back of my tank wall.

any danger of doing so?

- sucked up by wavemaker?

Be careful when placing xenias...if they get into yr wavewater, they can potentially caused yr tank to crash with their rotting juices.

I read in www.reefcentral.com, there is such a thing called xenia "disease" where they can melt for no reason causing the tank to crash.

l7304smr.jpg

Be careful when placing xenias...if they get into yr wavewater, they can potentially caused yr tank to crash with their rotting juices.

I read in www.reefcentral.com, there is such a thing called xenia "disease" where they can melt for no reason causing the tank to crash.

.... ok definitely no xenias then. Thanks Siang.

Dosing Schedule:

Pro DKH buffer - 5ml every morning (will daily dose this amount till dKH hits around 9 - 10)

Magnesium - 5ml - twice daily (will daily dose this amount till Mg hits 1300)

Calcium - 5ml every night ( (will daily dose this amount till Ca hits 480)

Strontium & Molybednum - 2ml - twice weekly

Iodine - 1.5 ml - weekly

Trace Element: 5 ml weekly

any thoughts guys?

• SRC Member
Dosing Schedule:

Pro DKH buffer - 5ml every morning (will daily dose this amount till dKH hits around 9 - 10)

Iodine - 1.5 ml - weekly

any thoughts guys?

errm... v. hardworking? :eyebrow: Compared to me... I think my habits cannot keep SPS :paiseh:

errm... v. hardworking? :eyebrow: Compared to me... I think my habits cannot keep SPS :paiseh:

you also can. just go to bed every night after 2 am ...hehe

Dosing Schedule:

Iodine - 1.5 ml - weekly

any thoughts guys?

I am following the Kent Marine reccommendations. but I do not test for Strontium and iodine. No way to does for Trace Elements too. Just want to make sure that I am not over dosing.... especially for iodine.

• SRC Member
I am following the Kent Marine reccommendations. but I do not test for Strontium and iodine. No way to does for Trace Elements too. Just want to make sure that I am not over dosing.... especially for iodine.

for iodine, a few drops per week can already.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Dosing Schedule:

Iodine - 1.5 ml - weekly

any thoughts guys?

Do take note that you shouldn't have heavy dosing of calcium and magnesium daily. Max daily increase of 100ppm for calcium and magnesium is recommended.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Do take note that you shouldn't have heavy dosing of calcium and magnesium daily. Max daily increase of 100ppm for calcium and magnesium is recommended.

Will take note of that Peter.

My tank is 20 gallon

The reccommended dosage from Kent Marine is (if I recall these correctly)

Mg - 1ml per 1 gallon of water. So daily is 20 ml max. If I recall correctly , this will raise ppm by 30. I am only dosing 50% of their reccommendation so should be raising daily by 15 ppm only.

Ca - 5 - 10 ml per 50 gallon. This will raise 18.5 ppm. SO i do no think I will hit that 100ppm per day too. But I will double check just in case.

• SRC Member

My tank is 20 gallon

Mg - 1ml per 1 gallon of water. So daily is 20 ml max. If I recall correctly , this will raise ppm by 30. I am only dosing 50% of their reccommendation so should be raising daily by 15 ppm only.

Ca - 5 - 10 ml per 50 gallon. This will raise 18.5 ppm. SO i do no think I will hit that 100ppm per day too. But I will double check just in case.

I think dosing is a v. delicate procedure. While we can follow recommended dosage, the best is really to find out over time how much Ca/Mg etc. our tank consumes and dose accordingly. For example, a fully stocked tank might consume more than the recommended dosage and have to adjust based on individual tanks.

Tt's why I say cannot do it... have to test, then dose, then retest and redose... waah like tt 2am also not enough le <_<

• SRC Member

My tank is 20 gallon

What is your current Ca and Mg levels now? Typically people only dose Ca and Mg weekly.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

What is your current Ca and Mg levels now? Typically people only dose Ca and Mg weekly.

I am testing the level every week.

Ca 420 - want to raise to 450 - 480

mg only 1180 - want to raise to 1300.

Once it hit to that level , I will only dose weekly instead of daily.

COmy

yeah. Take quite long to test everything.

About 40 mins for all tests. I do this weekly.

wah why do you need CA levels to be so high?

k this part see if I am correct har....

I am also trying to raise my dKH to as high as possible 11 -12

So that hopefully my PH will fluctuate less.

So in conjunction, Calcium needs to be raised higher as well.

So trying first to see if my tank can hit 450 - 480 ppm

Most likely if I hit 450, I am happy already which I thinnk is not easy to achieve.

Am I making sense or talking nuts?

• SRC Member
k this part see if I am correct har....

I am also trying to raise my dKH to as high as possible 11 -12

So that hopefully my PH will fluctuate less.

So in conjunction, Calcium needs to be raised higher as well.

So trying first to see if my tank can hit 450 - 480 ppm

Most likely if I hit 450, I am happy already which I thinnk is not easy to achieve.

Am I making sense or talking nuts?

Think you're trying to fight nature here... I'm no chemist, but I think alkalinity and calcium share a somewhat inverse r/s. Generally you will have either high alkalinity and lower Ca, or vice versa. Of course you can keep dosing until you have high levels for both parameters, but the big question is, is this dosing regime feasible?

I think this question is impt in your case because you have a nano sps tank. I think the key is more of maintaining stable parameters than getting high levels for both. Good to have high alkalinity and CA, but if you have to dose everyday, what happens if you stop dosing for 1 day? or if you stop dosing for 3 days due to emergency? Will tank parameters get wild fluctuations and will SPS be affected? Just some thoughts to ponder on :)

Think you're trying to fight nature here... I'm no chemist, but I think alkalinity and calcium share a somewhat inverse r/s. Generally you will have either high alkalinity and lower Ca, or vice versa. Of course you can keep dosing until you have high levels for both parameters, but the big question is, is this dosing regime feasible?

I think this question is impt in your case because you have a nano sps tank. I think the key is more of maintaining stable parameters than getting high levels for both. Good to have high alkalinity and CA, but if you have to dose everyday, what happens if you stop dosing for 1 day? or if you stop dosing for 3 days due to emergency? Will tank parameters get wild fluctuations and will SPS be affected? Just some thoughts to ponder on :)

agree & noted.

will try to raise but will not try too hard.

just want to experiment with the parameters and learn something.

• Senior Reefer

you can grow xenias on your tank wall no problem. they spread fast and grow very quickly, and provide a nice backdrop. xenias can, as ahsiang say, crash for no apprarent reason. but that has nothing to do with xenia disease. they sometimes crash due to swing in parameters or Ph, or from other unknown causes. getting a xenia sucked into a wavemaker is abit of a stretch, and highly unlikely. however, if they do crash, run carbon as soft corals are nasty when dead or dying.

alternatively, grow GSP as a backdrop. im doing that now and its really nice. zoas are also another option