My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member
Bro, you might want to consider using a hydor flo deflector to have a better random surface agitation. The lightset looks good! How's it working for your tank size? Looks like 2 ft in length... is it sticking out of your tank dimensions?

And I think you owe us all a video of your MP10's performance! :P

I won't suggest hydor flo, it is good, but apparantly will reduce your flow by up to 50% or more! Not a good idea considering your return is already quite weak. Same issue like me, so i can't install the deflector, otherwise I agree it is a good way to create random waves.

wao, that is some awesome new equipment.. will definitely be tracking this to see how affordable LEDs perform in the long run.. thanks bro for sharing! :)

btw, love ur acrylic tank.. got a very nice rimless clean feel to it.. :D

Yeah the LED looks cool and thank you very much for the compliment.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I won't suggest hydor flo, it is good, but apparantly will reduce your flow by up to 50% or more! Not a good idea considering your return is already quite weak. Same issue like me, so i can't install the deflector, otherwise I agree it is a good way to create random waves.

'then definitely cannot install on my return coz I am using using the reefpack pump to drive the water to the chiller (not using a separate pump).

Guess the other thing I can do is to try to raise the return tube higher, closer to the surface of the water.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
surprise surprise:

Pricing taken from http://www.delightings.com/index.cfm?GPID=30

LED-G1-180-60W: SGD248

LED-G1-400-110W: SGD450

LED-G1-400-160W: SGD655

LED-G1-400-180W: SGD785

Welcome to the new generation of affordable LED lights.

These are engineered and manufactured from China. Hence the cheaper cost.

But looking at the workmanship, you will be impressed with the quality.

In addition, this lightset comes with 18 months warranty!

Comparing with eco lamps that uses 1W LED, these are substantially cheaper and provides a longer warranty period.

Overall if you can use this light for 3 years, the savings over changing of MH bulbs is already 70% of the cost of the LED lights.

Not to mention the electrical savings over the MH and chiller.

Oops.... talk too much, how am i suppose to sell my MH now...... *sob sob

made in china, so should be cheap, just hope the quality is good. Looks good and sturdy though ...

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Jacky, U intending to put any Rhizos & Duncans in your tank??? :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Jacky, U intending to put any Rhizos & Duncans in your tank??? :P

Told you I am a reef nooby.

What are those?

I need to check the web :P

But 1st, let me go feed my baby 1st.

• SRC Member

Wah...How can you not know what a Rhizo is??? Here's a pic of my Rhizo... :P

rhizo.th.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
nice rhizo :)

don't think Jacky got time to feed nps corals? Otherwise it's a really great beauty to keep!

Doesn't take long to feed...I just put a piece of Silver fish on it and it does the rest... :eyebrow:

I'm only worried about my suns and super suns now though...Since I went for a holiday 2 weeks ago and came back, they haven't opened at all and some of the heads are dying already. :cry:

Tonight, I just took my sun and super sun out, put them in a bag each and hung them inside my tank. Dosed each bag with 5in1 coral food and just now placed a small piece of silver fish in 2-3 mouths each of the sun and super sun. Hopefully they will begin to feed and I can save them... :P

Hopefully I can save them, then I will have a garden of sun, supersun and Rhizos... :whistle

Jacky...where are you??? Can't post a pic of my Duncans though...They are closed at night.

Anyway, here's a pic from the net of the Duncan coral.

DuncanwhiskerCoral.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Doesn't take long to feed...I just put a piece of Silver fish on it and it does the rest... :eyebrow:

I'm only worried about my suns and super suns now though...Since I went for a holiday 2 weeks ago and came back, they haven't opened at all and some of the heads are dying already. :cry:

Tonight, I just took my sun and super sun out, put them in a bag each and hung them inside my tank. Dosed each bag with 5in1 coral food and just now placed a small piece of silver fish in 2-3 mouths each of the sun and super sun. Hopefully they will begin to feed and I can save them... :P

Hopefully I can save them, then I will have a garden of sun, supersun and Rhizos... :whistle

Jacky...where are you??? Can't post a pic of my Duncans though...They are closed at night.

Anyway, here's a pic from the net of the Duncan coral.

DuncanwhiskerCoral.jpg

jialat... prepared the milk, it was a bit warm, then I just lie on the bed beside baby to wait for it to be cooled, closed my eyes and when I reopen them, it is already 2 hrs later....... too tired ......and my baby missed 1 feed. dang..... :(

wow very nice..... I think Comy is right.... Life is a bit haywire for me now. Don't think I have time for feeding corals.

I might even give Suns a pass since they need meaty food.

The most I can do is dump 5 in 1 into the tank.

• SRC Member

Oh... I didn't know it will restrict the flow by half... Feels the same to me with or without it, but by "feel", it isn't accurate. :P

• SRC Member
jialat... prepared the milk, it was a bit warm, then I just lie on the bed beside baby to wait for it to be cooled, closed my eyes and when I reopen them, it is already 2 hrs later....... too tired ......and my baby missed 1 feed. dang..... :(

wow very nice..... I think Comy is right.... Life is a bit haywire for me now. Don't think I have time for feeding corals.

wah parenthood... not easy man to juggle so many stuff. I think suns can miss feeding, at the most die lor. baby is diff story le. pei fu you man Jacky!

I didn't know the duncans could look so nice too! Maybe I should get them. heh

Oh... I didn't know it will restrict the flow by half... Feels the same to me with or without it, but by "feel", it isn't accurate. :P

read a few user reviews, seems like it does cut back the flow.

installed a deflector on the return from my chiller.

This will cause more surface agitation... ==> more oxygen ==> higher PH

Bro,

how come more surface agitation equals to higher pH?

Anyway about your HK trip, do have fun at fish street k! Just buy something back seriously! Else it will be like going to Paris/Milan and not coming home with LV, Prada, Gucci, Armani or Salvatore Ferragamo :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does to a certain extent to rotate the gears, but it doesn't feel like half to me. It also depends on a few factors. I'm using Eheim Compact 1000, and the hose to the hydor flo is less than 1 ft in length, so I get pretty good flow on my setup. Perhaps yours and comy's applications are different from mine.

Bro,

how come more surface agitation equals to higher pH?

Anyway about your HK trip, do have fun at fish street k! Just buy something back seriously! Else it will be like going to Paris/Milan and not coming home with LV, Prada, Gucci, Armani or Salvatore Ferragamo :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Surface agitation = more gas exchanges at the surface = more oxygen.

Your PH drops in the night because Oxygen level is lower.

This is why some people reverse the lighting timing for their refugiums / switch on the skimmer only at night so that there will be more oxygen in the tank to compensate for the lower PH at night.

Hope i remembered these correctly.

lol I am exactly that type that will come back from Paris without any of those branded stuff. wahahahaha....

sorry bro,

mind if i ask how do you connect your chiller to you tank?..

did u add in a mini pump or something into your main tank?

no I did not add another pump.

I connected the output of my reefpack cleaner to the chiller directly.

Surface agitation = more gas exchanges at the surface = more oxygen.

Your PH drops in the night because Oxygen level is lower.

This is why some people reverse the lighting timing for their refugiums / switch on the skimmer only at night so that there will be more oxygen in the tank to compensate for the lower PH at night.

Hope i remembered these correctly.

lol I am exactly that type that will come back from Paris without any of those branded stuff. wahahahaha....

Your wife will kill you if you didn't get her the least a Gucci bag! Damn cheap in Europe man! hahaha

Nonetheless, have fun in HK! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Well, previously for my super suns, I only feed them once a week with Henry's and basically what I do is just let the current from my wavemaker blow the food to them. Anyway, I normally feed my fishes with HRG also so my suns also get a bit of the food if they land on them... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Well, previously for my super suns, I only feed them once a week with Henry's and basically what I do is just let the current from my wavemaker blow the food to them. Anyway, I normally feed my fishes with HRG also so my suns also get a bit of the food if they land on them... :eyebrow:

Oh, if it is once a week, i think I can still manage that during maintenance.

Let me go and read more about these corals ......

• SRC Member
wah parenthood... not easy man to juggle so many stuff. I think suns can miss feeding, at the most die lor. baby is diff story le. pei fu you man Jacky!

I didn't know the duncans could look so nice too! Maybe I should get them. heh

You should get them but Duncans are from Aussie so only available if there are Aussie shipments. Price is between $10-$15 per head. Read from RC that you need to target feed them but I only dump 5 in 1 coral food in my tank and they are still doing quite well though no new heads have grown yet. :eyebrow:

I have 2 Duncans in my tank now, a 4 head and a 7 head... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Oh, if it is once a week, i think I can still manage that during maintenance.

Let me go and read more about these corals ......

Hehe...Let me poison you with my Rhizo Garden... :eyebrow:

You can also see my Duncans behind... :D

RhizoGarden.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

RhizoGarden.jpg

*faintz* waah rhizo garden... :) They look really beautiful! haha

on second thoughts, they are much easier to keep than sun corals or even supersuns. coz u only have 1 to feed. supersun typically have 5-10 heads to feed. and sun coral has... err... 40-50 heads? :cry:

RhizoGarden.jpg

wow very nice....... tempting.....

Hey I noticed something today... strange.... my purple firefish is more aggressive and is attacking my maroon clown whenever it gets close.

...... 1st time i see firefish so fierce.....