My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

Need some help here.

My KH is 7, cal is 420, PH 8.0

So I should buff mag and dkh ?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Need some help here.

My KH is 7, cal is 420, PH 8.0

So I should buff mag and dkh ?

ignore the question. just went to check out on the web.

it takes about 6 months for these fellas to stabilise.

I will shoot to maintain cal at 420, raise alkalinity to 9 dkH and magnesium at 1350.

hopefully the PH will be more stable then.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

hi jack,

wondering will the MH heat up your nano tank since the water volume so small?

Hi Evil

that was my concern in the beginning too. But no leh......

I left it on for 6 hours yesterday. But I was able to maintain it at 27deg cel easily. but yesterday was a very cool day though.

The chiller did not kick off very often (approx 40 - 60 mins once) and each time about 10 - 15 mins.

This is approx. I did not have time to sit front of it yesterday. maybe thurs, I will bring my laptop and monitor closely the timing.

I have even placed the MH about 10 - 12 inch from the surface of the water.

I suspect my Acrylic cover fends off the heat from the surface of the water.

The air above the cover feels hot but beneath the cover, the heat is only at about 50% than that of above.

In addition, I think acrylic holds temp better than glass tanks so that could be another reason.

Will get a thermometer and measure the temp accurately on Thursday.

• SRC Member
Ok I have tried putting the fan in multiple positions...but it seems that this is the most effective.

I have moved the chiller approx 3 inch nearer towards the door.

Placed the fan above it blowing across the top and viola....the heat seems subdued quite effectively.

Will let it run for the night and monitor tomorrow.

hmmm.... looking good.. i may do just the same.. need to shop for fan!!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member
The water has cleared up. Took more shots. Better clarity today.

angled view

very nice and neat tank, bro... No distortion from acrylic tank.. very nice... btw, where did u buy the fan? I am thinking of installing one for my cabinet as well

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

very nice and neat tank, bro... No distortion from acrylic tank.. very nice... btw, where did u buy the fan? I am thinking of installing one for my cabinet as well

Hey Hi Reefzz

yeah very clear :) like the Acrylic very much.

for your fan, I suggest you look in your storeroom to see if there is any unwanted power adaptor.

Can be laptop power, handphone charger et- any dc supply.

Most handphones are 5v dc. some pocket pc chargers are 12v

then you can go to any computer shops to get the fans.

The USB fans ones are 5v, others are 12v

The 12v large ones are about 10 - 14 SGD.

Becareful of the spinning blades though especially if you have kids.

There is no "fence" for the fans so you can get hurt by the exposed rotating blades.

I got cut by it last night. nasty.

okie since so many ppl interested in fan, hope you don't mind Jacky, I extend my offer. I have 3 big fans sitting in my storeroom, 1 single, and 1 double, all are 12v ones if i'm not wrong. Powerful stuff, if you're interested, drop me a pm.

no worries. I wanted to post your fan availability but thought better let you post yourself hehe.....

just another thought, the MH casing gets quite hot. Is it feasible to get a mini fan installed inside the casing to cool it?

• SRC Member
no worries. I wanted to post your fan availability but thought better let you post yourself hehe.....

just another thought, the MH casing gets quite hot. Is it feasible to get a mini fan installed inside the casing to cool it?

haha they are just lying around in one of my boxes. Really powerful, the double fans can cool my 3ft by 2degrees from ambient temperature.

Anyway I think MH casing hot is quite normal. That's why MH are such suckers for electricity. I read the other day that a 250W MH heats up water surface by 15 degrees! The bulb and casing should be able to withstand the heat, but you might want to remind your daughter not to have itchy fingers...

then again, should be pretty safe. In my own personal experience, only boys will deliberately do something you tell them not to do. :upsidedown:

haha they are just lying around in one of my boxes. Really powerful, the double fans can cool my 3ft by 2degrees from ambient temperature.

Anyway I think MH casing hot is quite normal. That's why MH are such suckers for electricity. I read the other day that a 250W MH heats up water surface by 15 degrees! The bulb and casing should be able to withstand the heat, but you might want to remind your daughter not to have itchy fingers...

then again, should be pretty safe. In my own personal experience, only boys will deliberately do something you tell them not to do. :upsidedown:

15 deg!!! wow. I really think the piece of acrylic cover helps to fend off the heat from the water surface. If it really does, those using MH shld try it out.

• SRC Member
Hey Hi Reefzz

yeah very clear :) like the Acrylic very much.

for your fan, I suggest you look in your storeroom to see if there is any unwanted power adaptor.

Can be laptop power, handphone charger et- any dc supply.

Most handphones are 5v dc. some pocket pc chargers are 12v

then you can go to any computer shops to get the fans.

The USB fans ones are 5v, others are 12v

The 12v large ones are about 10 - 14 SGD.

Becareful of the spinning blades though especially if you have kids.

There is no "fence" for the fans so you can get hurt by the exposed rotating blades.

I got cut by it last night. nasty.

Thanks bro for ur info.. i try to figure it out how to install them.. U r absolutely right.. Kids likes to surprise u with the stuffs they do and super curious... Quite dangerous actually...

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

Thanks bro for ur info.. i try to figure it out how to install them.. U r absolutely right.. Kids likes to surprise u with the stuffs they do and super curious... Quite dangerous actually...

walked passed a pc shop just now.

there is also the laptop cooling fans that you can explore using.

their fans are more "protected"

I saw a huge one about 7 inch diameter.

These are powered by USB

• SRC Member
walked passed a pc shop just now.

there is also the laptop cooling fans that you can explore using.

their fans are more "protected"

I saw a huge one about 7 inch diameter.

These are powered by USB

i have a laptop cooling pad now, with 2 fans, it cools the laptops indeed, but the airflow doesn't seem to be very strong, quite weak i would say, but just enought to get the heat recirculated out of the laptops. <_<

25 Gal Micro Ocean

i have a laptop cooling pad now, with 2 fans, it cools the laptops indeed, but the airflow doesn't seem to be very strong, quite weak i would say, but just enought to get the heat recirculated out of the laptops. <_<

poomoon

I assume the fans you have are the small ones 2 - 2.5 inch diameter.

Those huge ones 7 inch dia should be alright.

anyway I am just guessing. :P

Jacky

• SRC Member
poomoon

I assume the fans you have are the small ones 2 - 2.5 inch diameter.

Those huge ones 7 inch dia should be alright.

anyway I am just guessing. :P

Jacky

DC fans typically won't be very powerful... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

you should see mine Pete.

quite good and effective.

• SRC Member
you should see mine Pete.

quite good and effective.

Are those the monster fans used to cooling the CPU or the graphics cards GPU?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

jackie, yup, two 2.5 in very quiet and weak :rolleyes: well just got em free from comex. i guess the processor or graphic card fans are quite strong ... maybe too strong :unsure:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
jackie, yup, two 2.5 in very quiet and weak :rolleyes: well just got em free from comex. i guess the processor or graphic card fans are quite strong ... maybe too strong :unsure:

oops ... wrong spelling ... jacky :rolleyes:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Are those the monster fans used to cooling the CPU or the graphics cards GPU?

I think CPU. no idea. I just got the biggest one.

oops ... wrong spelling ... jacky :rolleyes:

lol np. I get that alot.

• SRC Member

bro try raising your dkh and ph should increase accordingly. I use seachem reef buffer, but in your case you might want to use reef builder instead, coz ph is actually alright, just low dkh.

Try to aerate more, either adjust your vortech higher, or see if you can face your return pipe upwards. If still doesn't work, check your mg levels. My guess is not enough aeration, as could be the case with sumpless, coz there is less exchange of gases without overflow and sump. Mine used to hover at 8.00 too, until I increased aeration.

bro try raising your dkh and ph should increase accordingly. I use seachem reef buffer, but in your case you might want to use reef builder instead, coz ph is actually alright, just low dkh.

Try to aerate more, either adjust your vortech higher, or see if you can face your return pipe upwards. If still doesn't work, check your mg levels. My guess is not enough aeration, as could be the case with sumpless, coz there is less exchange of gases without overflow and sump. Mine used to hover at 8.00 too, until I increased aeration.

thanks for the suggestions Comy. I think you hit the nail on the spot.

I have got just about most test kit except Magnesium ... dang!

I recall that if dKH is about 8, then magnesium level is normally about 1300.

Mine is at 7 now. So at the moment I am just dosing Magnesium and alkaline buffer.

Yes, more O2 in the tank will bring PH up. Will move up the Vortech tonight got get more surface agitation.