My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

So have you done your water change yet?

until 4 am. Did 50% WC.

removed the all rocks cause there are fishes dead and trapped somewhere inside.

removed remaining sand.

ORP has risen to 300 now from 260.

My tank is like a frag tank now.... every thing lay on the sand bed....

looks like those LFS tank selling corals... haha

The Gessingeri goby is really tough.

Very hardy. If any fish can survive tough times, it is this fish.!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
until 4 am. Did 50% WC.

removed the all rocks cause there are fishes dead and trapped somewhere inside.

removed remaining sand.

ORP has risen to 300 now from 260.

My tank is like a frag tank now.... every thing lay on the sand bed....

looks like those LFS tank selling corals... haha

The Gessingeri goby is really tough.

Very hardy. If any fish can survive tough times, it is this fish.!

So now your tank has no sand bed or only a very thin layer of sand??? :upsidedown:

U haven't put your artificial rock back?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

So now your tank has no sand bed or only a very thin layer of sand??? :upsidedown:

U haven't put your artificial rock back?

no sand no rock.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
no sand no rock.

So ur tank now a botak tank... :whistle:upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Wow bro you are making too many changes too fast.

Better to check your water parameter before proceeding further.

The sudden high percentage change of LR to replica might be one of

the main cause .

You should dose a lot of bacteria continously for a period of time

to balance that replacement.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Did you cycle the new rocks before replacing the old ones? In-spite-of dosing bacteria, the rocks would still require time to go through the cycle before they are ready for use.

Perhaps you might wanna consider restarting your tank? Meanwhile, you can ask friends to host your stock and corals for you (except those infected by ich), or seek LFS help to hold them till your tank is stable again.

• SRC Member
Did you cycle the new rocks before replacing the old ones? In-spite-of dosing bacteria, the rocks would still require time to go through the cycle before they are ready for use.

Perhaps you might wanna consider restarting your tank? Meanwhile, you can ask friends to host your stock and corals for you (except those infected by ich), or seek LFS help to hold them till your tank is stable again.

Bro, he replaced all his live rocks with artificial rocks and put 1kg of bio home plus in his cannister filter. I do not think that you can cycle artificial rocks... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

For a minute I thought I as reading the wrong topic lol.

mine is about 2 inch and was bought from a reefer who was previously had kept it in a 2 ft x 1ft tank.

for a 2.5 ft should be ok. you will need to get those small ones.

Hey, keep me posted on your 2.5ft plan. I am thinking up upgrading too.

I dun know if i can downsize, cos the bigger fishes are v hard to sell.

Your nano is one of those that influence me to wan to downsize to a nano tank, I like the clean look of your tank. But sad to know that u are facing a tank crash now. Fishes change colours and dying means the tank is in a v dire straits now. Being pessimistic u most likely hav to restart, nano need more time to stablize and are less forgiving to parameters swing.

• SRC Member

Indian Chief, if you need a place to put your zoas for the time being, I can help out... :D

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Bro, he replaced all his live rocks with artificial rocks and put 1kg of bio home plus in his cannister filter. I do not think that you can cycle artificial rocks... :whistle

Oh... I had no idea that artificial rocks are for aesthetic purposes only... that's a shame. It would explain why the sudden removal of live rock has disrupted the bio stability of the tank.

• SRC Member
Oh... I had no idea that artificial rocks are for aesthetic purposes only... that's a shame. It would explain why the sudden removal of live rock has disrupted the bio stability of the tank.

I believe artificial rocks are basically made of PVC so they can't exactly host bacteria. Anyway, I believe Indian Chief needs to try to get his bio home to host sufficient bacteria asap so as to stabalise his tank. Another option will be to use NP Bio pallets in the meantime as a form of carbon dosing which should help keep the nitrates and phosphates in check.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Wow bro you are making too many changes too fast.

Better to check your water parameter before proceeding further.

The sudden high percentage change of LR to replica might be one of

the main cause .

You should dose a lot of bacteria continously for a period of time

to balance that replacement.

Hi Sherman

Hmmm I think my tank was still manageable with all the changes I made.

But my mistake was being overly confident and added another 4 fishes whithout giving time for the tank to mature with the changes.

I am quite sure that if I had added them perhaps a month later, everything would have been fine.

Thanks Eugene. Now torn between whether I restart this tank or kick start my 3 x 1 x 1 tank early.

I dun know if i can downsize, cos the bigger fishes are v hard to sell.

Your nano is one of those that influence me to wan to downsize to a nano tank, I like the clean look of your tank. But sad to know that u are facing a tank crash now. Fishes change colours and dying means the tank is in a v dire straits now. Being pessimistic u most likely hav to restart, nano need more time to stablize and are less forgiving to parameters swing.

Yeah you have all the nice exotic fishes :) Now I remember ... hehe....

Yup. when everything is in status quo, nanos are easier to keep.

once you try to make some changes, that is where nanos are a huge challenge.

minor actions get magnified. I simply forgot about this when I added the new fishes.

one fish death easily leads to a wipe in my kind of situation.

But I guess all this is part of the learning curve.

Why do you want to downgrade? If I have the space and time, I would surely go for a larger tank :)

You might get bored with nano pretty fast.

Indian Chief, if you need a place to put your zoas for the time being, I can help out... :D

Put my zoas in your tank? Then my zoas surely kenna put up for bidding the next day......

Maybe you should go for the upgrade. More room for frags... :P

yeah... Sorry new tank dimension should be 3x1.5 x1

i would stick to the nano if i were you. your nano was very nice and its tough to keep a nano. discipline needs to be there and you have succeded very well. quite a challenge.

thanks Lemon,

The geomancy master advised me to move my tank to another location in my house before the rabbit year ==> 2 yrs time.

That space would look weird with a 1.5 ft cube there. Hence the thought of moving it early and getting a new tank.

Well I can surely wait and resume what I have started..... just thinking what is the best approach.....

Kinda tired now so cannot think properly. slept at 5 am last night and had a long day from 7 am till now.....

maybe when I wake up tml, I can think with more sanity.

hi jacky,

very sad to hear abt the 'near-crash'... your nano has been a big inspiration to many nanos...

if i was in ur shoes, i will kickstart the bigger frag tank soon. This tank can be used to house frags and new purchases. Whereas your current nano can be used as main display tank.

If possible, you may connect both system to run together. (is that advisable? i'm not sure, some say good, coz bigger water volume - use same chiller - no drastic water parameter swing when transfering from frag to main)

hope to see your new tank (and toys) soon.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

hi jacky,

very sad to hear abt the 'near-crash'... your nano has been a big inspiration to many nanos...

if i was in ur shoes, i will kickstart the bigger frag tank soon. This tank can be used to house frags and new purchases. Whereas your current nano can be used as main display tank.

If possible, you may connect both system to run together. (is that advisable? i'm not sure, some say good, coz bigger water volume - use same chiller - no drastic water parameter swing when transfering from frag to main)

hope to see your new tank (and toys) soon.

wah bro, I cannot keep 2 tanks lah.... I had such a hard time getting approval for a tank in my place... now to have a second tank?

I am getting a replacement ... hehe ....

but hey wait..... maybe I can get 2 nanos to fit into that 3 feet space connect them together as what you mentioned..... maybe start a seahorse tank.... hehe....

need more brain juice....

yo wilson, Sorry I cannot make it over to your place today. Dinner ended late and children were tired.

Was thinking maybe we set one night in the week (maybe one of the fridays) and we can either chill at your place or Cedric's.

I'll go get approval from CO so I can hang out longer.

wah bro, I cannot keep 2 tanks lah.... I had such a hard time getting approval for a tank in my place... now to have a second tank?

I am getting a replacement ... hehe ....

but hey wait..... maybe I can get 2 nanos to fit into that 3 feet space connect them together as what you mentioned..... maybe start a seahorse tank.... hehe....

need more brain juice....

yo wilson, Sorry I cannot make it over to your place today. Dinner ended late and children were tired.

Was thinking maybe we set one night in the week (maybe one of the fridays) and we can either chill at your place or Cedric's.

I'll go get approval from CO so I can hang out longer.

Wow. it'll be nice to chill at Cedric's... but only if he's free. Lets arrange via mail.

For my tank, nothing overly spectacular actually... i actually need some help on detritus on Live Rocks. I keep having this problem... Not sure if it's due to overfeeding of pellets... changed to Mp40, helped, but can still see some rocks are 'accumulating' detritus....

Oh, doing up a SH tank will be cool... think your kids will love it! And your wife can dry those dead SH and make soup for you too! :shock:

How about frogfish, lion fish or even peacock mantis? Power huh.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.