My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

My 6 line bud. The tail was so green and the fins has very nice blue.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

My Randal goby committed suicide.... could have jumped in desperation when attacked by my firefish or tangaroa goby.

bought a 2 spot for his slot.

My girl missed "brownie". So I got a replacement bi-colour blenny.

She is so happy now.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

my sunburst yuma can expand to a 20 cent coin size already :)

(from 5 cent size when 1st introduced)

how come the mouth for this yuma is not extended upwards?

been flat for a week already :(

any advice?

• SRC Member

Blennies look cute and harmless...one of my fav also. Mine got killed by my yellow tail blenny which turns out to be rather aggressive.

Yuma may need stronger lighting compared to mushrooms. Try placing near the top. But again it depends on wat type of lighting they are exposed to previously, as mine were previously under MH, so they prefer stronger lights. Try not to place near to strong or direct flow from yr return or wavemaker coz they will detach from the rock.

l7304smr.jpg

one of the rics seemed to be doing ok.

More bubbly now.

The other rics was detached from the rock and is more stressed now :(

Will take longer time for him to recover.

Blennies look cute and harmless...one of my fav also. Mine got killed by my yellow tail blenny which turns out to be rather aggressive.

Yuma may need stronger lighting compared to mushrooms. Try placing near the top. But again it depends on wat type of lighting they are exposed to previously, as mine were previously under MH, so they prefer stronger lights. Try not to place near to strong or direct flow from yr return or wavemaker coz they will detach from the rock.

Bi colour blenny will nip at SPS.

I have got rid of mine so now I can safely keep one to help control the algae growth.

My yumas need to stay on the sandbed. no space to reallocate.

also hard to find a spot where the current is not so strong :(

problem with nano.

wah piang... I have problems id-ing my own zoas... :paiseh:

I only know the red ones are red people eater. You should have blue/purple hornet and candy apple somewhere in there too... errm doesn't help much right? oops

geez... thanks a lot man :P

k I ID already let u know what you have!

• SRC Member
geez... thanks a lot man :P

k I ID already let u know what you have!

you can name these zoas yourself...these names are given to make them "marketable" in US, dun have to crack yr juice out to identify them.

most impt, you r happy to put them in yr tank and they look shui.

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

goodday jackywong, go to www.zoaid.com and click gallery, under zoanthids and palys. its a great resource to ID your zoas. purple hornets are very unlikely, they have alternating purple and yellow skirts. more likely something else.

btw twinspot gobies are extremely difficult to keep and always seem to starve despite feeding. they need very mature sandbeds from what i heard. and they do occasionally drop sand bombs on your corals which occupy the sand bed.

• SRC Member
seems like zoas are all the rage nowadays.

Sigh... did up my "Budget 2010" Guess I won't have much to spend on my tank this year... have to restrict myself to ultra selective buying for my future good... :( CNY Toto here I come!!!

Hmmm...so ur 2010 budget will be spent on getting ZOAS??? :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
hahaa get more "flowy" corals for my gf first... then talk about the alien looking stuff...

Wah...Got Flower and Alien...Next time got Predator or not??? :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
wah piang... I have problems id-ing my own zoas... :paiseh:

Hahaha... I have the same problem with comy! :upsidedown: If you noticed, I hardly name the zoas when I post the photos. Just add a smiley face, attach the photo and post!

Just to share, I used to struggle with zoas not doing well and not opening up nicely, but I've learnt to slow down and not shift them too much. As things start to stabilize, the zoas not only open up well but you can see physical growth. Of course, there will be some zoas that may melt in-spite-of good water perimeters, but that is an entirely different case. I would say slow down from doing too much to your tank and let things run on its own. Continue to keep up with the weekly water changes and maintain good water perimeters, but most importantly, wait patiently for things to stabilize before adding new things.

You could also try to dip the zoas in Lugol's solution or Coral RX in case they are indeed affected by diseases or harassed by pests.

goodday jackywong, go to www.zoaid.com and click gallery, under zoanthids and palys. its a great resource to ID your zoas. purple hornets are very unlikely, they have alternating purple and yellow skirts. more likely something else.

btw twinspot gobies are extremely difficult to keep and always seem to starve despite feeding. they need very mature sandbeds from what i heard. and they do occasionally drop sand bombs on your corals which occupy the sand bed.

Good Day Yi Kai :)

Yeah will hit zooaid when I have time.

These new additions are from CF. Most of them are not even feeding on pellets. The 2 spot goby - yeah the sift sands quite a bit but nothing near to the destructive nature of my ex jawfish. very tiny mouthfuls. The fishes from CF are usually cheaper but I always have problem getting them to feed.

Hmmm...so ur 2010 budget will be spent on getting ZOAS??? :eyebrow:

hey Peter, Welcome back. Hope you had a good trip!

saving up to buy rock, not live and super small summore... sigh... Jacky I think I'm starting to see the wisdom of pico tanks...

small tanks has lots of limitations but it is not as damaging to the pockets.

no regrets getting a nano for me. suit my lifestyle/ commitment limitation but I doubt you will like it :)

you getting artificial rock?

Saw a small piece at JM - about palm size $35 already.

might be getting that one :)

Just to share, I used to struggle with zoas not doing well and not opening up nicely, but I've learnt to slow down and not shift them too much. As things start to stabilize, the zoas not only open up well but you can see physical growth. Of course, there will be some zoas that may melt in-spite-of good water perimeters, but that is an entirely different case. I would say slow down from doing too much to your tank and let things run on its own. Continue to keep up with the weekly water changes and maintain good water perimeters, but most importantly, wait patiently for things to stabilize before adding new things.

You could also try to dip the zoas in Lugol's solution or Coral RX in case they are indeed affected by diseases or harassed by pests.

Noted. I have glued them so not able to shift anything much.

Yeah waiting for things to stabilize now beside the few small fishes I got, nothing much new actually.

Hey question: after 7 hrs of MH, why do some of the corals close up?

mushies shrink, zoas closed. any reason?

• SRC Member
hey Peter, Welcome back. Hope you had a good trip!

Trip was ok but I lost quite a number of my corals. In fact I lost 3 of my brains, 3 of my blastos and I have 2 acans which may or may not survive.. :pirate:

Also, my tank is now brown and green...have managed to clean off most of the brown algae today but need to get an algae scrubber to get rid of the green algae since they stick to the walls of my aquarium. Surprisingly, my Yuma and Duncans are opening up much larger than before.

Will probably have to do a water change soon but likely a small water change this weekend and get Victor to deliver NSW to me next week before I do a large water change.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Noted. I have glued them so not able to shift anything much.

Yeah waiting for things to stabilize now beside the few small fishes I got, nothing much new actually.

Hey question: after 7 hrs of MH, why do some of the corals close up?

mushies shrink, zoas closed. any reason?

My guess is too much light... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Trip was ok but I lost quite a number of my corals. In fact I lost 3 of my brains, 3 of my blastos and I have 2 acans which may or may not survive.. :pirate:

Also, my tank is now brown and green...have managed to clean off most of the brown algae today but need to get an algae scrubber to get rid of the green algae since they stick to the walls of my aquarium. Surprisingly, my Yuma and Duncans are opening up much larger than before.

Will probably have to do a water change soon but likely a small water change this weekend and get Victor to deliver NSW to me next week before I do a large water change.

Sorry to hear that. well, I am sure you will nurse the surviving corals back to their health in no time. :)