My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

Update: MaxSpect Lighting

One of the fan failed today.

After switching on for about 3 hrs, the temperature of the light set was already at 41 deg cel and the casing was quite hot.

Hmmm need to get my new replacement fans asap.

Do not wish to overheat it and shorten the LED lifespan.

In the meantime, tml I will swop back to my MH and run it for a few weeks and see how my corals respond to it.

Have always wanted to do this and now is a good time I suppose.

Update: Clam on the sandbed

Came back and saw my jawfish had spit all the sand onto my clam.

Hope nothing has gone inside the clam.

I have moved it back on top of a rock. Sigh... not a good day.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Think you're trying to fight nature here... I'm no chemist, but I think alkalinity and calcium share a somewhat inverse r/s. Generally you will have either high alkalinity and lower Ca, or vice versa. Of course you can keep dosing until you have high levels for both parameters, but the big question is, is this dosing regime feasible?

I think this question is impt in your case because you have a nano sps tank. I think the key is more of maintaining stable parameters than getting high levels for both. Good to have high alkalinity and CA, but if you have to dose everyday, what happens if you stop dosing for 1 day? or if you stop dosing for 3 days due to emergency? Will tank parameters get wild fluctuations and will SPS be affected? Just some thoughts to ponder on :)

Sorry bro,

I think that statement I bolded which you said is politically incorrect. Personally, I do not believe alkalinity or calcium share an inverse relationship. In fact they share the same if not, a tight relationship between each other.

Excerpts from Reefkeeping Article 6 of Nov 2006; A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between

Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes Farley

"The effect of corals, coralline algae and other organisms that deposit calcium carbonate, while not exactly the same as abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, has some similar attributes with respect to the interrelationships between calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium. Some of these are:

1. Corals and coralline algae use calcium and alkalinity almost exclusively to deposit calcium carbonate. Because of this they use a fixed ratio of calcium to alkalinity, which is driven by the ratio of calcium and carbonate in calcium carbonate (1:1). The net consumption is about 18-20 ppm of calcium for each 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity. The reason the amount of calcium varies is that the incorporation of magnesium in place of calcium varies a bit from species to species..

Also to have high Ca and kH,

If the water contains excess calcium and carbonate, then it is possible for precipitation of calcium carbonate to begin, and it can continue until saturation is reached. In other words, if either (or both) calcium or alkalinity are very high in a reef aquarium, then precipitation of calcium carbonate can reduce both.

Lastly to have an inverse relationship between calcium and alkalinity which means high alk, low ca or high ca and low alk:-

Excerpts from Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine Nov 2002 - Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems by Randy Holmes Farley

If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank. Likewise, adding too much of an alkalinity supplement can result in reduction of calcium. Consequently, trying to correct one problem can cause another. Moreover, if you try to correct a calcium or alkalinity “problem†with the wrong type of additive, you might accomplish nothing more than creating limestone in your tank

Based on the articles above, it's therefore not wise to have an inverse relationship. If you do have an inverse relationship,

look to this article for remedy:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20021127040526/http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

And to understand the relationship between calcium and alkalinity, refer to this article:-

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#2

In closing, my school of thought in reefkeeping has been the school of balance. Disrupt that balance; you will be screwed big time! :S So hope the articles I have found help in some way for you in the future! :D

Took me some time to find them all and pardon if I highlighted some points but basically the ideas are all there (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer
Sorry bro,

I think that statement I bolded which you said is politically incorrect. Personally, I do not believe alkalinity or calcium share an inverse relationship. In fact they share the same if not, a tight relationship between each other.

Excerpts from Reefkeeping Article 6 of Nov 2006; A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between

Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes Farley

"The effect of corals, coralline algae and other organisms that deposit calcium carbonate, while not exactly the same as abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, has some similar attributes with respect to the interrelationships between calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium. Some of these are:

1. Corals and coralline algae use calcium and alkalinity almost exclusively to deposit calcium carbonate. Because of this they use a fixed ratio of calcium to alkalinity, which is driven by the ratio of calcium and carbonate in calcium carbonate (1:1). The net consumption is about 18-20 ppm of calcium for each 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity. The reason the amount of calcium varies is that the incorporation of magnesium in place of calcium varies a bit from species to species..

Also to have an inverse relationship between calcium and alkalinity:-

Excerpts from Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine Nov 2002 - Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems by Randy Holmes Farley

If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank. Likewise, adding too much of an alkalinity supplement can result in reduction of calcium. Consequently, trying to correct one problem can cause another. Moreover, if you try to correct a calcium or alkalinity “problem†with the wrong type of additive, you might accomplish nothing more than creating limestone in your tank

Based on the articles above, it's therefore not wise to have an inverse relationship. If you do have an inverse relationship,

look to this article for remedy:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20021127040526/http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

And to understand the relationship between calcium and alkalinity, refer to this article:-

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#2

Hope they help for you all reading this post! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

agreed ^ calcium by itself, is alkaline. by saying it is the reverse of alkalinity, makes no sense.

agreed ^ calcium by itself, is alkaline. by saying it is the reverse of alkalinity, makes no sense.

lol bro. I just edited the post! hahaha.. but no problem.

Thanks for reinforcing the idea. teehee (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Before I make a fool out of myself... bro marcovan care to explain what you think the quote you gave means?

"If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank. Likewise, adding too much of an alkalinity supplement can result in reduction of calcium. Consequently, trying to correct one problem can cause another. Moreover, if you try to correct a calcium or alkalinity problem with the wrong type of additive, you might accomplish nothing more than creating limestone in your tank"

In v. v. layman terms... my mind cannot process cheem chemistry terms :lol:

• Senior Reefer
Before I make a fool out of myself... bro marcovan care to explain what you think the quote you gave means?

"If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank. Likewise, adding too much of an alkalinity supplement can result in reduction of calcium. Consequently, trying to correct one problem can cause another. Moreover, if you try to correct a calcium or alkalinity problem� with the wrong type of additive, you might accomplish nothing more than creating limestone in your tank"

In v. v. layman terms... my mind cannot process cheem chemistry terms :lol:

all too chim for me already .... :paiseh:

to put it in layman terms.

when too much calcium is added, or if added too quickly, the balance between alkalinity and calcium will shift, and precipitation of calcium carbonate will occur. causing the snow storm effect. this is when carbonate anions precipitate out of solution and bind with calcium to form the insoluble CaCO3.

next. spontaneous generation of snowstorm effect can be made happen by the increase in PH.

• SRC Member
to put it in layman terms.

when too much calcium is added, or if added too quickly, the balance between alkalinity and calcium will shift, and precipitation of calcium carbonate will occur. causing the snow storm effect. this is when carbonate anions precipitate out of solution and bind with calcium to form the insoluble CaCO3.

next. spontaneous generation of snowstorm effect can be made happen by the increase in PH.

Thank you for clarifying. Jacky, there is no such thing as a straight answer. Now, let me organise my 'defence'. :P

In pure mathematical terms, a pure inverse relationship is when X goes up, Y goes down. If I wanted to be picky with my english, then yes, I am wrong to say that Calcium and Alkalinity share an inverse relationship.

However this was not my intention. I said 'somewhat inverse'. Now what does 'somewhat' mean here? It's a highly debatable term. I could mean that it was a partial inverse relationship, whereby most of the time, when X goes up, Y goes down, depending on the strength of the correlation. I could also be trying to borrow the term as a sort of imagery to draw some similarity of the relationship to an inverse relationship. Or I could just be trying to pull of a hoax here.

The reason that calcium carbonate solubility changes with alkalinity is the same as in the other analyses in this article: "on" and "off" rates of calcium and carbonate ions. In this case, the alkalinity effect is driven by changes in the solution's carbonate concentration. Lower calcium carbonate solubility at higher alkalinity implies that precipitation of calcium carbonate can be more extensive. In other words, as the alkalinity rises, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation decreases. This effect is why, for example, maintaining a very high alkalinity can lead to excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Likewise, as the alkalinity is reduced, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation is increased.

Should we continue to banter with definitions and words or settle with my layman interpretation that " Generally you will have either high alkalinity and lower Ca, or vice versa. Of course you can keep dosing until you have high levels for both parameters, but the big question is, is this dosing regime feasible?"

Edit: If you wanna continue this, we should start a new thread elsewhere. Not nice to impose on Jacky too :) Promise I will keep it strictly professional, no low balling remarks and the like.

Thank you for clarifying. Jacky, there is no such thing as a straight answer. Now, let me organise my 'defence'. :P

In pure mathematical terms, a pure inverse relationship is when X goes up, Y goes down. If I wanted to be picky with my english, then yes, I am wrong to say that Calcium and Alkalinity share an inverse relationship.

However this was not my intention. I said 'somewhat inverse'. Now what does 'somewhat' mean here? It's a highly debatable term. I could mean that it was a partial inverse relationship, whereby most of the time, when X goes up, Y goes down, depending on the strength of the correlation. I could also be trying to borrow the term as a sort of imagery to draw some similarity of the relationship to an inverse relationship. Or I could just be trying to pull of a hoax here.

The reason that calcium carbonate solubility changes with alkalinity is the same as in the other analyses in this article: "on" and "off" rates of calcium and carbonate ions. In this case, the alkalinity effect is driven by changes in the solution's carbonate concentration. Lower calcium carbonate solubility at higher alkalinity implies that precipitation of calcium carbonate can be more extensive. In other words, as the alkalinity rises, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation decreases. This effect is why, for example, maintaining a very high alkalinity can lead to excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Likewise, as the alkalinity is reduced, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation is increased.

Should we continue to banter with definitions and words or settle with my layman interpretation that " Generally you will have either high alkalinity and lower Ca, or vice versa. Of course you can keep dosing until you have high levels for both parameters, but the big question is, is this dosing regime feasible?"

Edit: If you wanna continue this, we should start a new thread elsewhere. Not nice to impose on Jacky too :) Promise I will keep it strictly professional, no low balling remarks and the like.

HAHA

I sent you a PM.

and no need for starting another thread lah. I wrote and found all those info just for Jacky himself and the people who are reading his thread everyday because here is like the next hot thing in town! hotter than Tiger Woods scandal man! hahaha viewership and readership quite high, put something as such here, alot of people will benefit so yeaps (:

So in short, I just saved everyone's time! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Jacky your MG is very low.

You need to push it up above 1350

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Comy, Marco

No worries. I believe no one is being personal. You guys are great fellow reefers.

Just keep those comments coming. we learn by sharing and I am learning by the day and I hope those who read my thread do too.

After all, this is what this forum is for. (* and not for posting of woman in bikini ==> hope Ah Siang reads this .. lol)

Yeah Sherman,

I am huffing and puffing - trying to raise MG up.

Henry did commented that my water is not "heavy" enough too.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

just got a clam from CF today..

i went all the way back to page 64 to read up on ur mini research on clams.. haha..

interesting.. :D

What time were you at CF? We shld have tried to meet up there.

We were there around 11+

Saw your clam on your post. Looks nice. Leave it alone and hope it opens up more soon.

• SRC Member
What time were you at CF? We shld have tried to meet up there.

We were there around 11+

Saw your clam on your post. Looks nice. Leave it alone and hope it opens up more soon.

i got commitments on sunday mornings.. haha...

i was there only around 3++

i think i saw our big boss Larry there as well with another guy..

he bought something, but didnt get a chance to say hi..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

maybe the red mandarin that he wanted. hehe......

Ok guys. I am going to take a brk from SRC.

Those who saw me last weekend will notice my eye was red.

Went to a doctor this morning. He told me I have something something.....

Basically too much radiation from light source and the eye is forming a layer to protect itself and hence the redness.

I suspect its my iMAC.

Need to take a break from WOW, SRC and all PC related activities prob for a week or two.

check out you guys a fortnight later.

Stay cool!

cheers

jacky

• SRC Supporter

Basically too much radiation from light source and the eye is forming a layer to protect itself and hence the redness.

I suspect its my iMAC.

Need to take a break from WOW, SRC and all PC related activities prob for a week or two.

Stay cool!

cheers

jacky

Bro, take care... don't mess with your eyes.. they are the last thing you want to have problem with....

Looking forward to your post in a fortnight.

Cheers

I suspect its my iMAC.

Stay cool!

cheers

jacky

jacky u play WOW ah ? i tink u need to chiong lfs more to rest ur eyes :eyebrow: ....

• SRC Member

I suspect its my iMAC.

Stay cool!

cheers

jacky

must be staring at too many naked babes all the time... (tell ure fishes to cover up! :P)

okok jokes aside, hope you recover soon Jacky! Take care.

• SRC Supporter

did larry went he shld be real busy with his big day! i think u saw our fellow mod fuel,with another guy with glasses? mr seahorse guru chimo. haha

was there as well, just after them.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
did larry went he shld be real busy with his big day! i think u saw our fellow mod fuel,with another guy with glasses? mr seahorse guru chimo. haha

was there as well, just after them.

ohh...

then it should be fuel...

i'm really bad with remembering faces.

i only know i saw him before.. :paiseh:

yea he was with another guy.. haha...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

I suspect its my iMAC.

Stay cool!

cheers

jacky

Hmmm... I hope its not from staring at your tank powered by LEDs... Do take care man!