Phosphate level in Singapore Tap Water

MOssrope

• SRC Member

Was wondering if anyone had tested the phosphate level of singapore tap water.

If yes what are the levels at and how far or deep into the danger zone for reef aquariums will these levels be.

Also which brand and stage of RO units gives the highest percentage of phosphate reduction?

Currently on distilled water and a RO unit will surely be more beneficial and economical on the long run.

Do share your experiences and preference.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member
Was wondering if anyone had tested the phosphate level of singapore tap water.

If yes what are the levels at and how far or deep into the danger zone for reef aquariums will these levels be.

Also which brand and stage of RO units gives the highest percentage of phosphate reduction?

Currently on distilled water and a RO unit will surely be more beneficial and economical on the long run.

Do share your experiences and preference.

i used tap water for my weekly top up and run PO4 reactor so far so good. however, notice that there is very strong chlorine smell when ever i on the tap at home. could be cos of the new water mixed.....

• SRC Member
i used tap water for my weekly top up and run PO4 reactor so far so good. however, notice that there is very strong chlorine smell when ever i on the tap at home. could be cos of the new water mixed.....

hey there and thanks for the input.

its quite bad when u can actually smell it...

P04 reactor... hmmm.. do you have to change the media very often for this? and which part of your sump do you place it in?

• SRC Member

I'm not sure if different areas have difff water quality. But I have tested my tap water before and my phosphate reading was zero, nitrates 5ppm.

Out tap water definitely has chlorine due to our water treatment process. I used to add Prime as chlorine remover. You can also leave tap water to stand over 24-48hr period for chlorine to dissipate.

I'm not sure if different areas have difff water quality. But I have tested my tap water before and my phosphate reading was zero, nitrates 5ppm.

Out tap water definitely has chlorine due to our water treatment process. I used to add Prime as chlorine remover. You can also leave tap water to stand over 24-48hr period for chlorine to dissipate.

Hi Bro,

Aerating water overnight will dissipate chlorine, however most modern treatment plant do add more that chlorine to ensure that water is safe for drinking for a longer period of time. One such chemical is a more stable form of chlorine which is chloramine.

Chloramine is basically chlorine combine with ammonia and thus making it more stable and will not dissipate easily and thereby will be able to keep the water portable for a longer period of time. As it does not dissipate easily both chlorine and ammonia (Chloramine) will be lethal to our livestocks.

If I remember correctly PUB used to state the usage of chloramine online but unfortunately I lost the link now.

Anyway, to be safe it us always good to use a good water conditioner to neutralize the harmful effects of chlorine, chloramine and even some harmful trace metals.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/waterfaq...aq0050.-5eR.htm

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
by using tap water and running yr reactor to reduce the phosphate level...yr media will need to be change every often.

and lastly, chlorine + chlomines are bad for fishes and yr livestocks in the long run.

hi bro so far so good changing every 3 months using about 5 spoon full each time :) used tap water for my top up but when distilled water for water change.

bro goudian didnt knw now got chloramine .... onl recent mths can smell very strong chlorine when i shower or wash dishes.

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Aerating water overnight will dissipate chlorine, however most modern treatment plant do add more that chlorine to ensure that water is safe for drinking for a longer period of time. One such chemical is a more stable form of chlorine which is chloramine.

Chloramine is basically chlorine combine with ammonia and thus making it more stable and will not dissipate easily and thereby will be able to keep the water portable for a longer period of time. As it does not dissipate easily both chlorine and ammonia (Chloramine) will be lethal to our livestocks.

If I remember correctly PUB used to state the usage of chloramine online but unfortunately I lost the link now.

Anyway, to be safe it us always good to use a good water conditioner to neutralize the harmful effects of chlorine, chloramine and even some harmful trace metals.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/waterfaq...aq0050.-5eR.htm

HTH ;)

yeah aerating doesn't get rid of chloramine. Better to use water conditioner if using tap water.

But best is just get R/O water, the only issue is the waste water produced. You can collect to wash dishes/mop floor etc.

• SRC Member

ooh chloramine was added quite some time back. chlorine can evaporate away but not chloramine.

i read an article which said sg water will have increased levels of phosphate and stuff as it helps in plants and human digestion, and that anti chlorine solutions are not good for reef. Not sure if these info were legitimate.

• SRC Member

hmm, i have been using tap water since i started.. not much harmful effect for fishes i could say as they are all greedy like pigs.

i do leave them overnight before pouring in, most of times a few days before i pour it in to top up evaporated water.

however this only applies to FOWLR as my only corals are mushroom and they are doing well too.

now, abit kiasu, brought seachem prime, :x

• SRC Member
hmm, i have been using tap water since i started.. not much harmful effect for fishes i could say as they are all greedy like pigs.

i do leave them overnight before pouring in, most of times a few days before i pour it in to top up evaporated water.

however this only applies to FOWLR as my only corals are mushroom and they are doing well too.

now, abit kiasu, brought seachem prime, :x

yupz the best if using tap water is to use seachem prime. Good reviews, and it's cheap!

Try to use distilled water or RO/DI water whereby the chlorine or chloramine are negligible. These chemicals will kill all those useful bacterias that we want to make the tank mature in the first place.

Putting chemicals to get rid of dangerous chemical in the tap water will still add more stuff into the delicate tank.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

Tested tap water yesterday.

It was pretty close to zero if i am not colour blind, but its supposed to vary according to different places due to pipelines, some take water from a water tank, rust and all other heavy metals can be present.

Therefore i guess tap water is just about the chlorine and chloramine issue.( for me that is)

Do take note how your water is drawn if you still insist on tap water.

Btw do you guys make a spare tap just for the RO unit? or uses the RO unit for your every other day household usage. Was thinking the latter would greatly cause efficiency to drop.