Nitrite levels

FuEl

Just want to ask around to see if any other reefers measure their nitrite (N02) levels. I understand that the best scenario it would be zero.

I just tested my nitrites and it was at 0.25ppm, the levels are the same in my tapwater. Test kit brand is Salifert (expire in 2011).

I have checked various online sources & they mentioned that most marine species can tolerate nitrite levels way above 50 ppm, even to the hundreds.

I am not sure if I should be freaking out. :mellow:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Just want to ask around to see if any other reefers measure their nitrite (N02) levels. I understand that the best scenario it would be zero.

I just tested my nitrites and it was at 0.25ppm, the levels are the same in my tapwater. Test kit brand is Salifert (expire in 2011).

I have checked various online sources & they mentioned that most marine species can tolerate nitrite levels way above 50 ppm, even to the hundreds.

I don't think you should be freaking out... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

if FOWL should be okay. i have mine before 100 plus and when tested was ribena red colour

if your tank is matured, meaning the bacteria culture is in place, there is no need to monitor. anyway, if nitrite level is too high, you will definitely know coz all your livestock will start dying one after another. the best bet is to constantly dose bacteria coz bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrate automatically.

if FOWL should be okay. i have mine before 100 plus and when tested was ribena red colour

Hi bro,

What test kit were you using? The salifert one I have can only test up to 4ppm. On their instruction sheet they put "danger" next to 0.4ppm of nitrite. :mellow:

• Senior Reefer
Hi bro,

What test kit were you using? The salifert one I have can only test up to 4ppm. On their instruction sheet they put "danger" next to 0.4ppm of nitrite. :mellow:

nitrite? O.o i think some of the people here are confusing between nitrite and nitrate? im sure 100ppm of nitrite is....suicide to anything?

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

Fishes will most probably be stressed out at nitrite levels of 0.5ppm... :blink: From what I've read, at nitrite levels of above 20ppm, it will be toxic to the fish and over a period of time, your fish will die.

From what I've seen, test strips typically can test up to 10ppm of Nitrites. The API 5-in-1 test strip that I'm using can test nitrites up to 10ppm. I've seen some test strips on the net that can test for nitrites up to 25ppm. However, there are nitrite tests that can test for nitrites in the hundreds of PPM but these are not used for aquariums... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Senior Reefer
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

Look at the levels that they state that fishes can tolerate. :eyeblur:

maybe ur test kit something wrong? i used to have a salifert test kit that kept saying i have 0.25 ppm ammonia too. bought a new kit and it said 0ppm. somehow its always 0.25..

maybe ur test kit something wrong? i used to have a salifert test kit that kept saying i have 0.25 ppm ammonia too. bought a new kit and it said 0ppm. somehow its always 0.25..

I will test against distilled water tomorrow and the truth shall come to light. I find it hard to believe 0.25ppm of nitrite in my tapwater. <_<

did u test with distilled water already? curious to see the results.

I do not use distilled nor ro/di water. I use water from the tap all along. My friend tested for nitrite in his ro/di water, reading was 0.25ppm too. His established sps tank nitrite level also 0.25ppm, even though he uses ro/di water for his tank. :upsidedown:

• Senior Reefer
I do not use distilled nor ro/di water. I use water from the tap all along. My friend tested for nitrite in his ro/di water, reading was 0.25ppm too. His established sps tank nitrite level also 0.25ppm, even though he uses ro/di water for his tank. :upsidedown:

strage haha. well, if ur livestock ok then i won't bother about it. my tank is perpetually 100ppm NO3 but no adverse effects, so i didnt btoher about it haha..

strage haha. well, if ur livestock ok then i won't bother about it. my tank is perpetually 100ppm NO3 but no adverse effects, so i didnt btoher about it haha..

Bro, Nitrite leh..not nitrate..

Paiseh, typo error. My friend tested the nitrite level in his RO/DI water and it is 0ppm (not 0.25ppm). His tapwater is 0.25ppm. So there is nothing wrong with the test kit. :pirate:

• Senior Reefer
Bro, Nitrite leh..not nitrate..

Paiseh, typo error. My friend tested the nitrite level in his RO/DI water and it is 0ppm (not 0.25ppm). His tapwater is 0.25ppm. So there is nothing wrong with the test kit. :pirate:

yikes. i wont worry lah. u being able tor breed fishes is a testiment to your good water quality. im sure that 0.25 NO2- is nth to worry abt.