Night dives

Achilles Tang

Do you like night dives?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like night dives?

• 1. Yup!
    • 2. Nope!

I personally like night dives as it is a whole new world at night. A little scary but once I dive in with my IKS Light Cannon HID torch, I become fearless... hahaha!!

Seriously, with my white HID torch, the night dive experience is transformed. It's almost like looking into a MH lit aquarium. No more blue/green tint to the water and everything can look like its real colour underwater. In fact, some of the corals positively GLOW under this light beam.

I love how you can look at sleeping fishes like parrotfishes, in their caves or out in the open, wrapped in their mucus cocoons.

I love to see the coral polyps come out in full glory.

I love seeing different species that come out only at night.

I find it peaceful even.

:)

• SRC Member
I personally like night dives as it is a whole new world at night. A little scary but once I dive in with my IKS Light Cannon HID torch, I become fearless... hahaha!!

Seriously, with my white HID torch, the night dive experience is transformed. It's almost like looking into a MH lit aquarium. No more blue/green tint to the water and everything can look like its real colour underwater. In fact, some of the corals positively GLOW under this light beam.

I love how you can look at sleeping fishes like parrotfishes, in their caves or out in the open, wrapped in their mucus cocoons.

that is a powerful dive torch.. me thinking of getting it as well.. saw it in US... anyway, i kinda have this idea that if i'm the fish and some diver shone such a powerful light at me, putting me in danger of becoming a snack for the barracuda and irritating my beauty sleep, i might turn grouchy and snap back at the light source..

thus, i never shine directly at the fish :)

nite dives are indeed more scary and increase the stress level for a certain level for the diver..the most impt thing is, never change your configuration of your BC during nite dive or dive at unfamiliar areas.. this should limit your stress level by a bit when u encounter compromising situations...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Night dives were my favourite when I used to dive a lot. You can see a whole new world and often get much closer to the diurnal species, which are usually half asleep. The reef at night is full of tiny, small inverts that come out and they are just absolutely beautiful.

AT, you should try a full darkness dive during a full moon - man, that's another experience.....

Hmm....makes me want to dive again!

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

Well... you should really join us again! REALLY!!! PLEASE!!!

SRC Dive Team wants YOU!!

Yeah, dived during a full moon before... very ethereal... :) You can just barely see everything... :)

• SRC Member

Yeah, dived during a full moon before... very ethereal... :) You can just barely see everything... :)

AT mayb u can organise la nite dive la for src members.....no need go far far la.....just across causeway wil do heheheh...

I only wave my hands to chase off the numerous sea bugs, worms and pods that swarm around my dive torch! :) They can hit your hand with enough impact to feel them!

That's the only thing I dislike... they always spoil the dive photos, but they make small fishes that hunt them down very very happy!

Hmmm... actually, there is one think I dislike about night dives... the emergence of sea urchins!!!! Good buoyancy control is vital and keeping your hands off the sandbed/rocks.

• SRC Member

Need to undergo refresher course, and check to see my sinuses are under control! Clarinase to the rescue! :lol:

Don't really mind the night dives but it is the afterward that is bad. :ph34r:

Like everything's cold..wind blowing.......getting out of your wet suit and shivering .....worse still when there are no hot showers :cry:

I only dive at night when it is absolutely necessary.....like the spot is the best around teaming with very interesting mirco life, there are treasures to be collected, and lastly not enough dive buddies.

• SRC Member
....don't forget the flouresce when you wave your hands around......Ahhhhh(reminescing....) :P

ahhh... yes.. brings back memories.. my maiden nite dive was when it was on a full moon... :)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Like everything's cold..wind blowing.......getting out of your wet suit and shivering .....worse still when there are no hot showers :cry:

i agree with u morgan.. sometimes, the dive boat which has a cabin, they switch on the aircon.. goodness, u really dun know where to strip out of your wetsuit... :ph34r::fear:

• SRC Member

I only dive at night when it is absolutely necessary.....like the spot is the best around teaming with very interesting mirco life, there are treasures to be collected, and lastly not enough dive buddies.

Haha...I forgot about that part! In those days, I dived only in T-shirt ...... brrrr........... :lol:

• SRC Member
Been surround by darkness

sound scary

You see where the lights shine

Dunno whats behind or beside you :erm::shock:

Best time for practical jokes right.. hahaha.. :D

• SRC Member

My last dusk dive on LOB was at a location called Snake Stone. Very interesting. It was 7:05pm when we started to descent. U can say that it was a night dive, it was dark by the time I reached the bottom. Armed with a torch, I saw plenty of sea snakes and nurse shark.

Awesome.

Tendency to lose your buddy as u get engros to look at the animals using your torch. But luckily can see the other divers' torch.

• SRC Member
Tendency to lose your buddy as u get engros to look at the animals using your torch. But luckily can see the other divers' torch.

when nite dives, u will see that all the divers will converge together and often bang into each other.. coz ppl scared and also, curious abt what other divers are shining at, whether have they seen anything unique

• SRC Member

I think it depends on the location of the dark dive.

For Manado, the "night live" in the sea is fantastic. Ghost pipe fish, hermit crab, octopus, etc.... Hence, the night dive is a must go.

Recently, my night dives in Similan is not that fantastic. However, there are still things to see.

• SRC Member

Night creatures are awesome!... stuff you don't typically see during the day. Only dislike is when you're back on the boat after the dive, it can get pretty nippy on a cold night with the wind chill... that's when all I can think about is warm shower!

If you're taking photos, make sure your buddy sticks close to you. It's easy to get engrossed with composing your macro shot and next thing you know, you look up and your dive buddy and the rest are no where in sight. If that happens, don't panic... cover or switch of your lights and look for signs of their dive lights or glow sticks. I'm sharing this from personal experience. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi All !

Remind me of my National Service..Diving without Lights..Total darkness.

I agree if on a Full moon nite its very Calm and you can see Green luminous particles floating all around you.its very theraupeutic...

During NS is very different No Bathing ,No lights ( it must be covet operation )..everything must be through Feeling and crawling your way through.Can you imagine searching underwater for a Tiger Beer Bottle ! in toal darkness...wat an experience.Its something i will treasure for a lifetime..

Singapore water the visibility is bad.Can you imagine Day dive Noon time the moment you dipped your head underwater its the same as night dive..its dark muddy water.

The Only Easy day was yesterday...Hooya ! :rolleyes: