Help in sun coral opening

MOssrope

• SRC Member

I have had a sun coral colony for a week now.

The weird thing is half the colony opens and half of it stays close.

I was able to target feed the half that is open which always waits on me the same timing i feed them each day.

What i am worried here is if the other half does not open I believe if they die off the whole colony will be affected.

With regards to that the flow and lighting is about the same in the area of the sun coral as they usually come in not too big sizes.

Pouring of food juices do not seem to work too.

Additional questions include feeding timing before/after/during lights on period to influence the opening of sun corals.

Sun corals are not photosynthetic therefore was wondering if any fellow reefers have experiences with lighting intensity that can affect their behavior.

Same ideas for fragging them which is not advised from what i read.

Do share your experiences!

Regards

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I have had a sun coral colony for a week now.

The weird thing is half the colony opens and half of it stays close.

I was able to target feed the half that is open which always waits on me the same timing i feed them each day.

What i am worried here is if the other half does not open I believe if they die off the whole colony will be affected.

With regards to that the flow and lighting is about the same in the area of the sun coral as they usually come in not too big sizes.

Pouring of food juices do not seem to work too.

Additional questions include feeding timing before/after/during lights on period to influence the opening of sun corals.

Sun corals are not photosynthetic therefore was wondering if any fellow reefers have experiences with lighting intensity that can affect their behavior.

Same ideas for fragging them which is not advised from what i read.

Do share your experiences!

Regards

As avatar shows, This has been fixed. Thanks for the help and browsing :D

• SRC Member
what did you do to "fix" it. care fo share? :D

THey opened pretty long ago..

After the 1st post i made them sleep with stinky leftover mysis shrimp for a day in a quarantine tank.

The water was really all milky and crap. Now they open on a slight scent of food. Have not fully mastered their timely opening though as they still do not like too much light for now.

But positioning them at the waterflow chokepoint its pretty crucial for their long term survival, as they can grab organisms that come along with the current.

I feed them different things every day though.

• SRC Member
HMM, ic, thanks bro for your valuable feedback!

Have you tried one before?

They are really beautiful!

And pretty much time consuming :<

• SRC Member
THey opened pretty long ago..

After the 1st post i made them sleep with stinky leftover mysis shrimp for a day in a quarantine tank.

The water was really all milky and crap. Now they open on a slight scent of food. Have not fully mastered their timely opening though as they still do not like too much light for now.

But positioning them at the waterflow chokepoint its pretty crucial for their long term survival, as they can grab organisms that come along with the current.

I feed them different things every day though.

what you can do to make them open when the lights are on is to feed them when your lights are on... subsequently it will be "trained" to open up at around the timing you are used to feed them... did it to my super suns for about a week and they are mostly open everyday now for the past few months..

just my 2 cents! =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...