what goes on at night o.o

yikai

• Senior Reefer

We all know how peaceful and tranquil our reef tanks are in the day. but what about night time? Where quiet creatures of the dark roam our tanks, and soft fluffy LPS corals turn into monstrous beasts at night. Or the odd bristle worm or two making its nightly appearance. Hope that other reefers can share what goes on in their tanks at night :) perhaps those who never thought of looking at what goes on in the dark should try it sometime. It really is another world at night! :D * i turned on my lights briefly to shoot these photos.*

Let me get the ball rolling first. Look at these awesome sweepers from my favia frags! Not even the egg crates can stop them! each frag shrouds itself in so much of its sweepers that they appear white!!

post-15755-1252944657_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1252944669_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1252944680_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
We all know how peaceful and tranquil our reef tanks are in the day. but what about night time? Where quiet creatures of the dark roam our tanks, and soft fluffy LPS corals turn into monstrous beasts at night. Or the odd bristle worm or two making its nightly appearance. Hope that other reefers can share what goes on in their tanks at night :) perhaps those who never thought of looking at what goes on in the dark should try it sometime. It really is another world at night! :D * i turned on my lights briefly to shoot these photos.*

Let me get the ball rolling first. Look at these awesome sweepers from my favia frags! Not even the egg crates can stop them! each frag shrouds itself in so much of its sweepers that they appear white!!

wow the tentacles really look sweeping! now I have to plan properly on where to put the frag... Will collect the frag this weekend yeah? :thanks:

• SRC Member

My tri colour sps would extend its snow white polyps to feed... Will post the photo to be taken tonight... :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

According to a highly regarded documentary on aquarium life I watched, the tank inhabitants will hold meetings at night to plan their escape.

Here is a screen grab of the documentary:

FindingNemo7.jpg

:P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer
According to a highly regarded documentary on aquarium life I watched, the tank inhabitants will hold meetings at night to plan their escape.

FindingNemo7.jpg

haha!! i loled at the documentary part

• SRC Member

Bubble at night... Looks quite scary actually... :lol:P1240845.jpg

-skimmer-less-

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Prata in feeding mode when lights are turned off... :upsidedown:P1240846.jpg

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Tri colour sps...:)P1240847-2.jpg

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
nice!! how u add pictures? o.o

The forum cannot add fotos so i add them by photobucket... Hmm... anw curious here why can't we upload fotos thru the forum uploader?? :unsure:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer
The forum cannot add fotos so i add them by photobucket... Hmm... anw curious here why can't we upload fotos thru the forum uploader?? :unsure:

sian photobucket. leychey. hmm not sure. cannot fast reply oso. something wrong again -_-

• SRC Member

FindingNemo7.jpg

This "documentary" should have the following disclaimer shown to avoid an untimely demise.

"The action sequences you see in this motion picture are performed by highly trained stunt performers. All of the stunts like “getting flushed down the drain†were not completed until such time as the stunt performers had sufficiently rehearsed each stunt to be performed under the direct supervision of a qualified stunt coordinator. The stunt sequences shown on this motion picture are extremely dangerous and can be lethal and should under no circumstances be attempted or duplicated by any individual who is not a trained, qualified professional stunt performer."

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

omg bro lemon, your favia tentacles go much longer than 3" with my night lights... The longest tentacle I'm seeing so far is 4-4.5" long under my night lights! scary!!!

so just wondering, is there anything I can keep near them? like other favia? or hopefully hammer/torch?

• SRC Member
sian photobucket. leychey. hmm not sure. cannot fast reply oso. something wrong again -_-

Bro more night scenes... This was taken at ISO 1250 :eyebrow: This time the feeding polyps are more obvious... Those on top of the branch... :yeah:

post-14611-1253436754_thumb.jpg

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer
just to for kicks, decided to take a quick snapshot of the favia.

post-16489-1253382562_thumb.jpg

scary huh hehe. hmm torch not a good idea because torch can sting favia. Hammer is a better choice because their sweepers don't go as long as torch. make sure its not directly touching the favia. u can try place corals around the favia that is not in the path of the sweepers.

Bro more night scenes... This was taken at ISO 1250 :eyebrow: This time the feeding polyps are more obvious... Those on top of the branch... :yeah:

wow cool! hehe. sps are nice at night too huh!