Scuba Diving

blacknails

• SRC Member

Hey guys.. Well I'm having a relatively long holiday right now.. Will be entering National Service on 27th Jan.. I just thought that I'd pick up a few things before I go in and immediately I thought of scuba diving.. So I just wanted to ask the experienced guys here how I can go about doing this.. Like where do I learn it? Where do I sign up for lessons? How much are they? Are there any requirements before I learn it (I can swim.. But only Bronze Award)? Thanks alot!!

Hmmm... welcome to the Wet Side!!!! :)

Well... it's actually the wrong season for you to take up diving as the nice spots for open water diving for most people is in M'sia like Tioman/Aur/Dayang.

Orpheus Dive (www.orpheusdive.com) is one shop that I would recommend, some of the SRC people here have trained under Lester with happy results.

He is conducting courses right down in the down season. Why don't you give him a buzz?

• SRC Member
Hey guys.. Well I'm having a relatively long holiday right now.. Will be entering National Service on 27th Jan.. I just thought that I'd pick up a few things before I go in and immediately I thought of scuba diving.. So I just wanted to ask the experienced guys here how I can go about doing this.. Like where do I learn it? Where do I sign up for lessons? How much are they? Are there any requirements before I learn it (I can swim.. But only Bronze Award)? Thanks alot!!

Bronze award.. good enuff lah... me dun even have award.. hahaha. :lol: the requirement is only being able to tread water for 5 mins, swim 200M...

Now is the wrong season to learn diving.. coz monsoon is in over the dive areas that AT had mentioned.. unless u go further north like Thailand or south to Indonesia... :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
I think the only thing good from those survival training is the tread water. hehz. :P

I wonder if I still can do it though. =(

or u can do like what i did... keep swimming ard lor... hahaha.. it is a pity that i cannot float.. floating also count... :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

or u can do like what i did... keep swimming ard lor... hahaha.. it is a pity that i cannot float.. floating also count... :lol:

Kelstorm,

I thought I'm the only one who can't tread water very long. 5 mins seems like an hour. :angel:

I lie on my back than change to a slow swim round and round.

• SRC Member
I thought I'm the only one who can't tread water very long. 5 mins seems like an hour. :angel:

i recalled after that tread water session, i had cramps on my calfs... <_< also, i have problem kneeling for long periods like 5 mins.. :(

• SRC Member

i recalled after that tread water session, i had cramps on my calfs... <_< also, i have problem kneeling for long periods like 5 mins.. :(

Talk about the after effect....

If there is a bed there, I'll probably doze off. Luckily my Instructor is a lady, so I have to pretend I can still go another round. :rolleyes:

It is the longest 5 mins of my life.

I keep imagining myself floating in the middle ocean and I wanted to stay alive.

• SRC Member

hahaha remind also wen goin through the course.....tread near the pool side hehehe....canot tahan, my leg stand at the pool side....inst saw ask me go middle the swim slowly arn the pool la :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

i agree, yazid.. the 5 mins was like an eternity.. i thought i will drown before i pass the swimming test.. hahaha.. now, i inflate my BC fully upon surfacing..

• SRC Member

Wait wait... So we can learn scuba diving in S'pore right? No need go overseas learn right? Seems like you guys saying have to go overseas to learn.. Heh.. Thanks for all the replies and sorry I blur blur... Erm.. Tred water 5 mins for me should be no prob lah I swim often...

Theory and pool lessons are done here.

You can take your practical in SG too if you want... but it may turn you off diving if you do it in Pulau Hantu. :D

Most operators will take you to Aur/Dayang/Tioman during the dive season so you will get WOWED and then you will be HOOKED... like all of us were... :lol:

Hantu you will only see mud water. If you are lucky, you can see your buddy and he can see you... hehehee... joking.

• SRC Member
how come you people find treading water so difficult? do you do it in full dive gear or something? :P

I remember I had hell trying to tread for twenty minutes in pyjamas. =(

hey terryansimon, i not a strong swimmer mah.. the only swimming i do often are the "dry" type.. hahaha... :D

AT;

Thank you for the wonderful comments about us. I really appreciate it. For those thinking of taking up Open Water Course, please do so now as the price is at rock bottoms.

I am not sure if I can put the pricing here, but for those interested, the next few dates available will be posted on my website soon.