Riot's Tank

riot

• SRC Member

With great trepidation I put these pictures up on SRC. Soon I will be off on me annual holiday, and everytime I leave my tank in the hands of my brother in law, who has been able, everytime, to successfully wipe out the inhabitants of my tank.

The first time I went off for my hols, he overdosed my planted tetra tank. When I returned 2 weeks later, I couldnt see the sandbed- it was covered by pellets. Food overdose.

The second time I went off, he used the pail for detergents to top up my tank. The corals were bleached, but hey hey my damsel survived. <_<

This time, with my budding SPS collection, I begged my wife to let me off this year, but nnooooo..... I gotta go. Ok, with the chiller now I dont have to run fans, so there should be no top-off. Hey, with the new tubby, I doubt he will have a chance to use the detergent bucket.

For food, the eheim feeder should be fine. The worry is now for my yellow tang & the bangaii. That I will have to depend on my brother in law to feed once every 3 days, 2 frozen mysis cubes each.

Anyway, not saying my BIL is evil. He is a nice guy, walking over to my block to do my stuff. But he is not a fish keeper, and he knows nuts. I am putting these pix up to show the before & after. Hopefully there will be an "after".

fonrtal view

post-34-1070957782.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bro,

Nice tank... WIth the school holiday started, you can have more time on the hobby and to scrape off the excess algaes on the glass :D ...

Wanna go coral hunting this weekend onwards(bonus on Friday ;) ), do call me...

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Nice tank... WIth the school holiday started, you can have more time on the hobby and to scrape off the excess algaes on the glass :D ...

Wanna go coral hunting this weekend onwards(bonus on Friday ;) ), do call me...

heh heh that obvious eh?

Im not very meticulous- never bother one. Thanks Nur but going for tomorrow- not buying any more live stock coz realise a bit too steep for me. Intend to see if I can grow joe's frags and end the buying spree.

You should write out a list of DO's and DON'Ts for your BIL.

Buy those pill containers/ice trays and put each day's food inside each compartment and SPECIFY that ONE DAY is ONE COMPARMENT'S WORTH of food... not more, not less!!

He should understand that. :)

• SRC Member

Ya but the problem is that I feel a bit uncomfortable asking a guy who's doing me a favour to undergo BMT leh.

I did write out my instructions the previous time, but he misread, ignored, aga aga, etc. He's a very very very nice guy, always willing to run errands for me, but when the rest of the world is running 36w Pls in the brain dept, he has a 1w LED. Get my drift? And I cant get my dad-in-law, though he keeps fish. He's the only guy I knopw that feed his Luohans with dog kibbles.

Hopefully with all this automation, my corals will survive. I am not concerned with food- the eheim feeders are dependable. hey, I am not too concerned with the forzen either.. the YT will learn to eat pellets, or die trying. But my budding sps collection....

Think I'll take your advice and put a spin on it. What I'll do is put the food cubes in ziploc and write down the dates to feed. Wont be that bad, but I'm having problems with my alk & calc levels now. A bit too complicated for him to dose Kent A & B and run tests. Hopefully I can get the levels up to the neccessary levels and the spiked kalk tubby can do the trick.

Hey man thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. :)

Riot, haven't seen you around for a while.

Nice looking tank you got going :)

Its been long day and since I have been doing risk profiles and recommending mitigation procedures all day long, so I might as well do a quick one on yours.

From what I can see, all else remain constant and you get your conditions up to scratch, your corals should survive the 2 weeks.

As for your fish, you stand to lose the Yellow Tang & the Banggai if not fed well.

However, if you add BIL into the equation, you run a higher risk of spiking your water conditions and killing everything.

Know your calculated risks, mitigate them and accept the residuals.

All in all, its a matter of recognising what you stand to lose.

If you're lucky, the tank will come through, but you should think of how you can cut your losses.

• SRC Member

Hi rumour

you always make my day with your humour. :)

Ya I figured as much. My bangaii wont feed pellets, and my YT is just spoilt. Actually I thought I had all the stuff figured out- water top off, auto feeder, then with the SPS stuff and worrying about calc & alk, crap. Should have gotten a reactor earlier.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully the detailed instructions wont blur him up, else I'll have to kill bill. :)

• SRC Member
Hi rumour

you always make my day with your humour. :)

Ya I figured as much. My bangaii wont feed pellets, and my YT is just spoilt. Actually I thought I had all the stuff figured out- water top off, auto feeder, then with the SPS stuff and worrying about calc & alk, crap. Should have gotten a reactor earlier.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully the detailed instructions wont blur him up, else I'll have to kill bill. :)

Send your YT, bangaii and SPS for 'coral-sit' till your holiday finished........and promise to give them free offspring and new SPS frag, if any. Then you can have your BIL just to made sure no power trip in your tank and timer will do. :P

Otherwise, I dun see how you are going to enjoy your holidays...you will have sleepless night in hotels!

Wasn't kidding man ... that stands as my true recommendation.

I still stand by the age old concept of:

"If you wanna get things done, do it yourself"

AND

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Besides, once you board that plane, there is no turning back.I worried so much in my last trip I nearly spoiled our holiday. So take it easy and enjoy your break.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hey hey hey

I am back. Fish 100% accounted for. Corals- lost a couple of frags, no biggie.

Halfway thru the hols something happened and my tubby got unplugged. Came back to find sump half empty. Another 2-3 days water level will drop to point my eheim will not pump water thru my chiller and I would have suffered a TOTAL wipeout!!!

but luckily came back just in time. Phew! Until the next annual holiday...............

• SRC Supporter
Nope frags is from joe.

And Joe- never did find a reef shop over there. Currently too broke to consider your reactor though.

Oh.... I was hoping to see how the PF 500 Deltec CA Reactor

works ... :(

will be a interesting subject.... :yeah:

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Amazingly, this little blue coloured buddy actually retained its colour under 150w. It grew too, you can barely make out the two small nubbin of a colony. There used to be a distinct gap btw, now they have merged. Way cool.

post-34-1082121435.jpg