Idea for a Low-Light "Warm" Small Marine Tank

cdckjn

• SRC Member

I want to find out if I want a successful marine tank in my office, what are the setup I can do. This will be my 4th attempt - all semi-successful as Pico tanks takes a lot of effort and care.

I have this glass vase (from IKEA) and light from IKEA and a hand-on filter. I intend to set up a small Pico with this. I am thinking of putting what type of fishes and livestock. I am not really thinking of putting much other than some mushrooms and perhaps 4-5 tubeworm (feather-duster) to create interest. For fishes perhaps just 1 fish (either a common clown or a yellow-tail damsel).

The Tank is about 10 inches high and 6 inches diameter. As I am not always there - on holidays etc, I want a "super" low maintenance tank and super hardy fish but yet alert and active so the clownfish or damsel will be suitable. The feather-dusters will be forming a "palm-tree, coconut tree" design for me with some live rocks in the background.

Any comments?

post-5178-1246943630.jpg

• SRC Member

Make sure the filter media is cycled properly for a start... for such a small volume, putting in a small amount of biohome or similar media will be useful as the ultra porous media can compensate for the lack of live rocks to house bacteria.

I think keeping a damsel is a very good idea. The much detested fish will wreck havoc in a community tank, but kept alone, their tough nature will take care of itself. In fact I find it a bit wasted that some nice damsel fish are overlooked because of their feisty nature.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

yup i agree , at most u can keep is maybe a pair of shrimp or pymgy gobies with super limited feeding and religious weekly water changes

damsels are just too big for this tank

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79905

rapalla's tank in his office. If you compare the size of the tank, it is about the same, his being a square, mine being a circle.

Perhaps I just want to put in 1 fish.

One other question what do feather-dusters eat ?

• SRC Member

Actually I think pygmy gobies are okay wat... I always wonder what happens to those pygmy gobies at the LFS that are only 1cm or 1.5cm. I bought a 12 or 13mm panda goby early this year, so damn small in my nano tank that I don't know whether it is dead or alive now.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey