Exclusive feeding of pellets

johntanjm

• SRC Member

I own a FOWLR setup. All along I had this idea that we should vary our fish's diet to provide them all the nutrition they need. However lately I've had this experience that led me to think otherwise.

I quote New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula's instruction "For best results, feed New Life Spectrum exclusively" I never thought much about this until recently. I have a auto feeder and it feeds NLS 4 times a day. When i get home from work, I will feed Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 and mysid shrimps off and on throughout the evening. Due to my busy schedule lately, I've not been home to hand feed fishes and left it all to my auto feeder hence they've all been eating NLS exclusively and I stumbled upon an interesting discovery.

Sometime back I bought a Moorish Idol. It has a long dorsal (top) fin that breaks off occassionally and then regenerates back very quickly. After a while, this stopped happening and the Moorish developed lateral head erosion and the scar was quite prominent. No matter what kinda of good stuff I introduce into the fish's diet, it just seems that I can never restore it back to original health until now when i was too busy too feed other foods.

within 3-4 days of exclusive feeding of NLS, my Moorish's head scar has healed 50% and it has regained its ability to regenerate its dorsal fin. With other fishes, I seem to observe an overall improvement in health as well.

This made me think back of the instructions that were printed on NLS's bottle to feed NLS exclusively for best results. quite puzzled why this would work.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

i think it truely work.

there is a time where my queen will not eat ocean nutrition angel's formulae. but survive on NLS pallets. i would say it bring the colouration and size.

and nls claimed that it has a more nutritional value than sponge

maybe it's tme to get a auto and feed the fishes

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

but i still don't understand how come feeding ONLY new life spectrum produce results. Is it because when mix with other food, that means the fish eat less of NLS and that's why don't get the full nutrition. or the ingredients in NLS cannot fully digest when there is other food in the fish stomach?

• SRC Member
I have alwys liked NLS food for my fishes but the only complain I have is that it is not readily available. if you guys knows where to get them. it would be good to share. thanks.

The only place i know is ReefDepot.

• SRC Member
I own a FOWLR setup. All along I had this idea that we should vary our fish's diet to provide them all the nutrition they need. However lately I've had this experience that led me to think otherwise.

I quote New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula's instruction "For best results, feed New Life Spectrum exclusively" I never thought much about this until recently. I have a auto feeder and it feeds NLS 4 times a day. When i get home from work, I will feed Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 and mysid shrimps off and on throughout the evening. Due to my busy schedule lately, I've not been home to hand feed fishes and left it all to my auto feeder hence they've all been eating NLS exclusively and I stumbled upon an interesting discovery.

Sometime back I bought a Moorish Idol. It has a long dorsal (top) fin that breaks off occassionally and then regenerates back very quickly. After a while, this stopped happening and the Moorish developed lateral head erosion and the scar was quite prominent. No matter what kinda of good stuff I introduce into the fish's diet, it just seems that I can never restore it back to original health until now when i was too busy too feed other foods.

within 3-4 days of exclusive feeding of NLS, my Moorish's head scar has healed 50% and it has regained its ability to regenerate its dorsal fin. With other fishes, I seem to observe an overall improvement in health as well.

This made me think back of the instructions that were printed on NLS's bottle to feed NLS exclusively for best results. quite puzzled why this would work.

Yah, now you reminded me. When I first started off, I only how how to feed NLS food. However, after sometime when i added varying food to my fishes, the colour my fish had, is not as 'bright' as compared to feeding them NLS exclusively. Really puzzled about this.

• SRC Member

so sad, after 2 weeks, my moorish idol still dont eat pellets, only nipping at the life rock for algae but it's still swimming happily.

Tried:

1) NLS - small / medium size

2) Mysis Shrimp

3) Red Bamboo

4) sea grape

5) Dr. Bassleer's Biofish Marine Flakes

doesn't even take a look and it evades them like bombs..

Bro any suggestions ma~ haha

have quarantine it and empty my sand bed leaving it empty to eat the pellet however it doesn't work for 2 days.

• Senior Reefer

i have a morish idol that survived many months that feeds on ever single kidn of food, but predominantly NLS pellets. i have sold the fish to bro reddevilz and is doing extremely well. surviving for many months now. very healthy specimen and i believe it has to do with NLS

Try feeding it nori. Mine ate marine algae & ocean nutrition frozen angel food. While the other attack nls pellet...

so sad, after 2 weeks, my moorish idol still dont eat pellets, only nipping at the life rock for algae but it's still swimming happily.

Tried:

1) NLS - small / medium size

2) Mysis Shrimp

3) Red Bamboo

4) sea grape

5) Dr. Bassleer's Biofish Marine Flakes

doesn't even take a look and it evades them like bombs..

Bro any suggestions ma~ haha

have quarantine it and empty my sand bed leaving it empty to eat the pellet however it doesn't work for 2 days.

• SRC Member

onizuka: with regards to getting the moorish to feed pellet, my experience is u need to have the MI feeding first. eat anything also can. for example if it eat seaweed, the next time u feed, u get powdered pellets, mix with the seaweed so when the MI eat the seaweed, no choice, it will have some powdered pellet in its mouth. over time slowly train but it has to eat first, u gotta figure that out.

wilson: yeah i feed primiarly 2 kinds. NLS in auto feeder and when i have time, i feed ocean nutrition fomula 2 manually.

reeffish: seems like still no answer to the puzzle as to why NLS must be fed exclusively for best result.