Salt Mix

nannochloropsis

What brand of salt mix do you use and your experience. I'm currently using Biosal but recently was told that it comes from China, so, I'm a little skeptical on the quality standard now.

Sam from Sealife talks so much about Kent Marine and pushing me to buy yesterday but before I part with my hard earned cash, need to find out opinions. I've heard about Tropic Marine and Instant Ocean, so I'm not too sure which one to choose.

• SRC Member

Same as onghm, I use both. I won't pay extra for Reef Crystals, no visible difference from Instant Ocean.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

i have mixed saltwater with coralife salt. there for probably 3wks. jus now when i open it, i saw a thin film of scum on the surface. there seems to be some algae growing on the tub wall. some of the green growth also floating on the surface.

guess this makes coralife a really bad salt huh

If you're buying salt check if there are any lumps inside the bag. If there, don't buy it as it is likely going to have calcium precipitation when you mix it. Instant ocean, Kent are the two brands that always have this problem . It may be their packaging is not as good or there is a lot of moisture when they bagged the salt.

Kent is good if you get a bag without any trace of lumps.

• SRC Member

Whenever i mix coralife salt, i do get a small layer of scum on the surface too~! I just use a cup to skim it off... but i think algae growth in the pail after 3 wks will happen to all contained water...

But for the price $18/6.6kg, i think its worth the effort.. is there a cheaper salt?

• SRC Member
But for the price $18/6.6kg, i think its worth the effort.. is there a cheaper salt?

yes.. i believe so.. like red sea marine salt.. was terrible.. coralife is cheaper.. way much cheaper than tropic marine.. me using them now.. can't really afford tropic marine.. :P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

although lots us people seem to swear by Coralife, I dont find it that good because of its non-soluability.

Biosal, in my opinion, is one of the best out there. It melts evenly and quickly, unlike Coralife. I believe it is dug from salt mines rather than evaporated seawater. Because of this, when you mix it, the water actually turns cooler (I don't know why, though), rather than hotter when you mix the other salt mix brands.

• SRC Member

Juz to add my 2 cents on comparing the solubility of Tropic Marin and Corallife saltmix.

For Tropic Marin, once mix into water, i normally :-

1) swirl it clockwise (or anticlockwise if your left ball bigger)

2) place hand near center where the salt concentrates and mimic a pulsing xenia or waving hand

3) repeat (1) and (2) for 3 to 4 cycles and u r done

For corallife, after finishing the above, place powerhead and leave overnight.

Day 2 repeat and again leave powerhead overnight.

Day 3, wave and pulse until my f**king hand want to drop already but still see residue......

Advantage is u got a stronger forearm after that :)

• SRC Member
Juz to add my 2 cents on comparing the solubility of Tropic Marin and Corallife saltmix.

For Tropic Marin, once mix into water, i normally :-

1) swirl it clockwise (or anticlockwise if your left ball bigger)

2) place hand near center where the salt concentrates and mimic a pulsing xenia or waving hand

3) repeat (1) and (2) for 3 to 4 cycles and u r done

For corallife, after finishing the above, place powerhead and leave overnight.

Day 2 repeat and again leave powerhead overnight.

Day 3, wave and pulse until my f**king hand want to drop already but still see residue......

Advantage is u got a stronger forearm after that :)

hmmm try using an electric egg beater? hehe :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

just checking where do you guys get your sources for salt and how much ....

easier for reefers here to get the best deal in town ....

right ??? :D:D

saw a post that was selling for 18 for a 6.6 kg corallife ... so where did you get that, bro ?? <_<

• SRC Member

daryll,

i get my 20kg of coralife from petmart for $55 i think...

ongmh,

perhaps your salt mix had harden or it could be a old pkt.. i never experience that problem..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

yes i agree with kelstorm, i use to use wet hands to handle my corallife salt.. and after a wild, they crump together and soon, the solubility problem.... too old it wil also have the same problem....

$18 is at a lfs shop in serangoon... at lck 110, steve quoted $20, but i got it $19 in the end....