Setting up a 4' tank

• SRC Member

Hi Bro & Sis,

I'm back in action this time with a 4' tank (32G) :rolleyes: ... after struggling my 8G nanocube. :whistle

Just bought a 2nd hand 4' tank with cabinet from a kind reefer and will deliver to office this coming Friday.. :)

Now need to shortlist a few items for the set up. Hope bro & sis will help :)

Specification

Tank size : 4' x 1.2' x 1.5'

Filtration system : On the back of the tank with compartment.

1. Mix salt - Any brands to recommend?

2. Sand - Where to purchase?

3. Skimmer - Given by the reefer :)

4. Lights - Will purchase from another reefer this coming week.

5. Wave maker - Will look at the Pasar Malam thread

6. Chiller - Will look at the Pasar Malam thread

Did I miss out any important stuff? Hope bro & sis will help.

:thanks: :thanks:

Lostboy

hi i may not so good but for the

salt = tropic marine

sand do u want live sand if yes get it for aquam#### jalan kayu or tanjong katong

chiller i saw a post recently resun 1hp is up for grab if u intent to keep coral like sps

• SRC Member

bro, you need to tell us what are you keeping, Fishes? LPS? SPS?

maybe you list your genre and we can provide you more infor.

If you are keeping fishes only

suggest you can get coralife salt - 25 KG ~ $65++.

live sand you can buy / get from some reefers here.

• SRC Member

Wah bro, that's really fast haha. Can keep your 8G as a quarantine tank now.

Why didn't you opt for a sump since you have the space in the cabinet now?

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

I hope you are not talking about mine, cos it would be too underpowered for your 4ft tank :)

As for live rocks, look out for bros here who decom and put up the rocks for sale, that's the easiest way to get one lot of rocks, as opposed to going from farm to farm choosing rocks.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

as mentioned by bro Onizuka, you must tell us what you intend to keep. You can choose to go for bare bottom also. Hence, save on sand and ease of cleaning. Liverock or death rock is one you are missing out. for chiller, 1 hp might be overpowered for your tank. a reputable 1/5 or 1/4 will serve you well. As your filtering is at the back of your tank, you can put some carbon in media back, etc there. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hi onizuka Bro,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be keeping fishes and coral. As for LPS & SPS, will do it after tank is very stable.

bro, you need to tell us what are you keeping, Fishes? LPS? SPS?

maybe you list your genre and we can provide you more infor.

If you are keeping fishes only

suggest you can get coralife salt - 25 KG ~ $65++.

live sand you can buy / get from some reefers here.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Ya... i think is fast too. Actually I only want to keep nanotank by seem like too hard to keep the parameter correct. And bio-load is limited too.

I ever keep 8 fishes + 3 invertebrates + 2 small coral in that small tank and everything die one by one.

Now I only have 4 fishes in the tank.. so no shiok..hahahahaah

The 8G will either be a quarantine tank or I will keep my fresh water green-spot puffer fish ;)

Actually i prefer to have a sump tank but the tank i purchase come with back filtration system.

I bought the tank because of the size I like... 4' x 1' x 1.5' and the price is reasonable too. So I give a GO to it.

As for the skimmer, is given by the reefer whom I purchase the tank. Your skimmer is working happily on my current tank. Thanks again for the skimmer. :)

Cheers

Wah bro, that's really fast haha. Can keep your 8G as a quarantine tank now.

Why didn't you opt for a sump since you have the space in the cabinet now?

• SRC Member

Hi Solo77,

Thanks for your reply.

Bare bottom is cleaner and easy to clean too. But with sand look nicer leh.... and I think the fishes, especially Goby will love it.

Yes.. Liverock & Carbon media is in the shopping list now. As for Chiller.. still hunting for it. Think lots of reefer is selling the CL650. I may consider it.

Since my office is aircon on the weekdays so I think the chiller will work hard on both weekend and after 9pm :)

Cheers

as mentioned by bro Onizuka, you must tell us what you intend to keep. You can choose to go for bare bottom also. Hence, save on sand and ease of cleaning. Liverock or death rock is one you are missing out. for chiller, 1 hp might be overpowered for your tank. a reputable 1/5 or 1/4 will serve you well. As your filtering is at the back of your tank, you can put some carbon in media back, etc there. All the best.

• SRC Member
Hi Bro & Sis,

I'm back in action this time with a 4' tank (32G) :rolleyes: ... after struggling my 8G nanocube. :whistle

Just bought a 2nd hand 4' tank with cabinet from a kind reefer and will deliver to office this coming Friday.. :)

Now need to shortlist a few items for the set up. Hope bro & sis will help :)

UPDATE : 12th May 2009

Specification

FISHES / CORAL / SPS

1. Mix salt - Tropic Marine / Coralife salt - Will read up both and look at my pocket :P

2. Sand - Anyone selling or giving away?

4. Lights - Will purchase from another reefer this coming week. DYMAX GALAXY (MH + T8)

5. Wave maker - Will look at the Pasar Malam thread

6. Chiller - Will look at the Pasar Malam thread

7. Live Rock - Anyone selling?

Did I miss out any important stuff? Hope bro & sis will help.

Lostboy

• SRC TOTQ Winner

For sand, you can buy live sand or normal sand from Petmart or 328 cheap. If live sand, you don't need to wash. Can immediately pour into the tank but if normal sand, you need to wash a few times before adding into the tank. Also good to add bacteria when cycling tank to aid in break-in process.

For live rocks, advisable to get huge live rocks which will look good in the aquascaping. Most reefers who decom only have medium pcs. You can go coral farm for good rocks and try LCK as sometimes they have nice ones. I will likely be going there with a friend on Fri as I'm helping him with re-scaping his tank so if you want to join us, you are welcome to. Pm me. :peace:

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
For sand, you can buy live sand or normal sand from Petmart or 328 cheap. If live sand, you don't need to wash. Can immediately pour into the tank but if normal sand, you need to wash a few times before adding into the tank. Also good to add bacteria when cycling tank to aid in break-in process.

For live rocks, advisable to get huge live rocks which will look good in the aquascaping. Most reefers who decom only have medium pcs. You can go coral farm for good rocks and try LCK as sometimes they have nice ones. I will likely be going there with a friend on Fri as I'm helping him with re-scaping his tank so if you want to join us, you are welcome to. Pm me. :peace:

Thanks for your input bro bellinayu,

Will try Petmart this weekend and what is 328? Live or dead sand is ok for me, whichever I can find :)

Yes... the reefer did throw in the bacteria for cycling for free too :)

I wish I can go on Friday with you guys but I think I can't as need to clear lots of works on this Friday. Thanks for the invitation. Maybe next time ok

Cheers

• SRC Member

UPDATE : 15th May 2009

Just an update...

Tank arrive this morning :)

Just order cut-to-size black acrylic to replace the current blue background. Will silicon it next week. :)

Specification

FISHES / CORAL / SPS

Things had purchase / given by kind reefer. :)

1. Skimmer with pump.

2. Media like carbon, wool, bio-ball, ceramic ring, biohome plus etc.

3. Test kit - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, phosphate.

4. Return pump.

Things need to purchase.

- Mix salt - Tropic Marine / Coralife salt - Will read up both and look at my pocket

- Sand - Anyone selling or giving away?

- Lights - Any recommendation?

- Wave maker - Anyone selling? What is the minimum size & power?

- Chiller - Will look at the Pasar Malam thread

- Live Rock - Anyone selling?

Did I miss out anything?

Appreciate you guys can help. :thanks: :thanks:

Lostboy

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Below is the step need to be done and unsure is it correct? If miss out any steps, pls advice. :thanks:

1. Add salt + water to 3/4 full and use power-head to mix it for 1 day inside the tank?

2. Add sand + rock. Water reach full tank and measure saltlinty to get the correct measurement (1 day)

3. Add good bacteria for cycle process - 10 - 14 days.

4. Test water parameter :)

5. Add live stock & coral..

Cheers

Lostboy

Hi Bro,

Below is the step need to be done and unsure is it correct? If miss out any steps, pls advice. :thanks:

1. Add salt + water to 3/4 full and use power-head to mix it for 1 day inside the tank?

2. Add sand + rock. Water reach full tank and measure saltlinty to get the correct measurement (1 day)

3. Add good bacteria for cycle process - 10 - 14 days.

4. Test water parameter :)

5. Add live stock & coral..

Cheers

Lostboy

imho after u add in the salt, u shd measure the salinity after 5-10 minutes and continue to adjust the salinity til it reaches ur desired level before adding sand and rock..my 2 cents

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

normally cycling of the tank to build up a good base of bacteria \ for the process to complete is min around 28 days + \ - .

10-14 i dont think it's enough honestly.though you will feel itchy\pain a while to see it cycle for one month without adding anything. however after the cycling is complete,you will get a good stable tank in the long run (with good husbandary of course), you will know that you did the right step by letting it cycling 28 days.

Get good test kits Salifert/tropic marine (no2,no3.ammonia)

Google about those cycling process, it will explain in detail why.

suffer for a short period of times instead of suffering for a long time if your tank is not cycled properly.

all the best!

• SRC Member

Hi YongShun,

Will start to mix the water this coming Sunday. I did try to mix the water this afternoon for my 8G nanotank and I realize is not that easy.

All this while I got water from LFS to do weekly water change and today is the first time doing it.

I'm using Marinium Reef Sea Salt (given by a Reefer) :) and tap water to mix it... and only get it right after 30 minutes.

Salinity is OK but PH is very high 8.8. Throw in some coralchips and add in more water, after 20 mins, everything is perfect, Salinity about 1.025 and PH drop to 8.2.

BTW, what's the cause of high PH? Salt or tap water(is office tap water more acidic compare to home)?

Cheers

• SRC Member

Bro onizuka,

I cycle my 8G nano for full 30 days and the time is killing :pinch:

Actually I thought of cycling my new 4' tank using the normal cycling process but the only worry I have is TIME & SMELL.

Is bloody pain to wait (been through it before) but that's the best. The main concern I have is the SMELL.... :eyeblur:

The last time I cycle my nano, the smell was damn bad after intro a prawn in. This time I'm worry as the tank is "topless"

normally cycling of the tank to build up a good base of bacteria \ for the process to complete is min around 28 days + \ - .

10-14 i dont think it's enough honestly.though you will feel itchy\pain a while to see it cycle for one month without adding anything. however after the cycling is complete,you will get a good stable tank in the long run (with good husbandary of course), you will know that you did the right step by letting it cycling 28 days.

Get good test kits Salifert/tropic marine (no2,no3.ammonia)

Google about those cycling process, it will explain in detail why.

suffer for a short period of times instead of suffering for a long time if your tank is not cycled properly.

all the best!

• SRC Member

Hello SRC bro,

Just an update on my new 4' tank (cycle process)

UPDATE : 30th May 2009

Specification

FISHES / CORAL / SPS

Things had purchase / given by kind reefer.

1. Skimmer with pump.

2. Filtration Media.

3. Test kit - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, phosphate.

4. Return pump.

5. Mix salt - Marinium Reef Sea Salt

6. LiveSand & DeadSand - given by legendz1987 :)

7. Lights Fixture - Aqua Zonic 4x54Watt

8. LiveRock - purchase this coming Sunday :)

Things need to purchase. (pls kindly input if I miss out anything :) THANKS

- Wave maker

- ???

Just a quick question and hope someone will help. :bow:

I am still in the mid of cycling my new tank (1 week) and I have read from the web "again" on the cycling process althought i been through this process on my previous 8G Nanotank. This time, I did the "seeding" method and the reading for Amoonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are different from the web and my previous 8 Gallon.

Standard & Seeding methods

- dead prawn

- Good bacteria

- 50/50 LiveSand / Deadsand

- 2 LiveRock (from 8G)

- 1 KG biohome Plus (from 8G)

- Filter media (from 8G)

- Coral chips (inside the Livesand)

The break-in-cycle from the web (http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html) :

Ammonia level rises rapidly to its peak and begins to decline > 0

Nitrite levels begin to rise to its peak and begins to decline > 0

Nitrate level becomes detectable.

But now, (*Reading measure on day 4 & day 6)

*Ammonia reach 1.0ppm and start to drop to 0.25ppm.

*Nitrite reach 0.5ppm and 0ppm.

Nitrate reading 20ppm on day 6.

Is this normal? :shock:

Cheers

Lostboy

Sound normal...

since u already have the bacteria inside,

it will not follow the conventional reading... however much is still the same.

ammonia and nitrite will both rise until undetachable.

give your tank abt 3-4 weeks.

i see SPS on the list.

Chiller is a must and lighting is not enough

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hi Hammy,

I'm relieve :whistle

Think I need to be patience on the marine hobby. Thinking of shortcut but it seem possible.

If miracle happen in another week..... ammonia and nitrate become 0 and nitrate from 20ppm to 0 too, can I say the cycle is completed? :)

Never try SPS before and did consider a chiller too but due to the heat produce when kick in, I'm thinking of alternate way as I keeping in office.

Weekdays aircon is on, reading for temp is close to 24.5 degree.

Weekends reading is 28.5 degree when aircon is off.

Lighting is another factor too. I may order a 100cm with 60 LED for the SPS and mount right below the current lights fixture.

My supplier quote S$105 to S$120 with Aluminum Housing PCB Plate (waterproof) with 3 CREE chips to 1 LED including shipping cost. According to spec, the intensity is 540-660LM. Is it good enough?

Not too sure is it expensive as I still looking for LED in LFS.

Cheers

Sound normal...

since u already have the bacteria inside,

it will not follow the conventional reading... however much is still the same.

ammonia and nitrite will both rise until undetachable.

give your tank abt 3-4 weeks.

i see SPS on the list.

Chiller is a must and lighting is not enough

Test kit will be the most accyrate answer whether your cycling is complete. if both ammonia and nitrite is zero after the peak, yes it is complete. However, they may have not build to an amount that will support a full load. So stock your fishes slowly. if your main interest is SPS, you dun even need to add fishes so that maintainence will be a lot easier.

Temperature is okie but great fluctualtion and i suppose this temperature is taken without light on. a chiller will be more stable. LED is too new i am unfamiliar, but i think it is the way to go =). read more for SPS... u have to consider calcium reactor/pH controller for SPS such 4 feet... or else dosing will be a prob

Hi Hammy,

I'm relieve :whistle

Think I need to be patience on the marine hobby. Thinking of shortcut but it seem possible.

If miracle happen in another week..... ammonia and nitrate become 0 and nitrate from 20ppm to 0 too, can I say the cycle is completed? :)

Never try SPS before and did consider a chiller too but due to the heat produce when kick in, I'm thinking of alternate way as I keeping in office.

Weekdays aircon is on, reading for temp is close to 24.5 degree.

Weekends reading is 28.5 degree when aircon is off.

Lighting is another factor too. I may order a 100cm with 60 LED for the SPS and mount right below the current lights fixture.

My supplier quote S$105 to S$120 with Aluminum Housing PCB Plate (waterproof) with 3 CREE chips to 1 LED including shipping cost. According to spec, the intensity is 540-660LM. Is it good enough?

Cheers

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I may order a 100cm with 60 LED for the SPS and mount right below the current lights fixture.

Cheers

I think you mean 3 leds to a metal core PCB.

It is not only about how many LEDs but how many watt LEDs you are using.

Unless your tank is less than 12 inch deep.Only 3 watt LED can penetrate

the water deep of more than 12 inch with the help of optics.

If I am not wrong your LED lite cannot even meet the spec of a 70 watt MH

Read more before you invest

Cheers

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Hi Hammy,

Yes... Test kit will be the accurate answer to the complete cycle. Hopefully it will be complete by end of this week :)

This time will stock slowly... Start from fishes then to coral. SPS will be last till tank is "power"

Will read up more on SPS before jump into it.

Thanks for the input.