Anyone has any experience with this fish?

• SRC Member

From Liveaquaria:

Hector's Goby, also known as Hector's Hover Goby, has a bluish-black body with bright yellow horizontal stripes and an eyespot on the dorsal fin.

A 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is suitable for this fish. It can be included in a reef aquarium and the fish will sift the sand as well as graze on hair algae. It is non-aggressive towards other fish and will not bother invertebrates in the tank.

Hector's Goby is easy to feed and its diet consists of most marine foods. It consumes large amounts of algae, worms, and prepared foods such as vitamin enriched mysis shrimp and brine shrimp.

post-13914-1241356877.jpg

• SRC Supporter

kept afew times b4,peaceful timid fish,sometimes nip some algae from rocks and sandbed.

was told makan v minimum short hair algae and diatoms.

CF always got.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• Senior Reefer

they are abit like twinspot gobies but somewhat easier. easy to feed but not very easy to sustain. their main source of food is some algae and the liveform that live in the algae and sand. if u plan to keep them, try feeding them a variety of food. henry's food is good. he has lots of hector gobies in his shop and all are doing very well.

same goes for the very similar rainford goby

• SRC Member

I kept a few of these before....but i warn you, they are very shy and you need get at least 5 of them to form a group. Otherwise, they are always hiding and you cannot have territorial fishes in yr tank.

Last time i bought 3 of these and my bicolour blenny keep attacking them. When they kaput, i couldn't find their bodies...too small to find and most likely my crabbies ate them for food.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh my... sounds like a fish I should steer clear from... I already have a very shy Yashia goby, which is rather difficult to feed as my percs and firefish are so fast in grabbing food that he is left with crumbs. :(

• SRC Member
Oh my... sounds like a fish I should steer clear from... I already have a very shy Yashia goby, which is rather difficult to feed as my percs and firefish are so fast in grabbing food that he is left with crumbs. :(

Need to keep them in schools coz they will swim together and hunt for algae together....the display tank at JM last time had quite lot of these.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Rainford goby seems like a cousin of Hector's...

From Liveaquaria:

The Court Jester Goby, also referred to as the Rainford's Goby, or Old Glory, was first discovered in the Western Pacific in 1940 by Whitely and gets its name from its brightly colored body. The body is green and blue with horizontal orange stripes running the entire length of the body. The Court Jester Goby is very timid and peaceful and is a great addition to the reef or fish only aquarium.

It should be kept in a 10 gallon or larger aquarium that is well-established and has live rock and sand on which the fish can graze. It is best to keep only one of this species in an aquarium, unless the tank is large with an abundance of hiding places. It is rarely aggressive towards other species.

It is possible for the Court Jester Goby to spawn successfully in an aquarium.

The diet should consist of small crustaceans, such as live and frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, as well as filamentous algae.

post-13914-1241423567.jpg