Metal Halide

straydum

• SRC Member

hi guys, i pondering to go on to MH from T5 cause there's a chiller now. my tank's only 2'x1'x1.5' (the standard 2' feet except maybe a little taller). would 150w be an overkill? i don't keep any sps, just normal lps and other corals.

i'm also unsure about the pricing. checking online they all seem to cost over $250 and i can't find one for 2' tanks. i'm guessing i also need to supplement blue T5s or the tank would look totally yellow/white right?

can anyone also point out the life of MH bulbs? will they need changing like T5s?

bro, it might be overkill in my opinion. someone was selling 70W MH...think is bro johnlim or something...if sold, maybe can ask him how to DIY one....all the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

but T5s need regular changing and API tubes aren't cheap :( so i was thinking if MH would help with that. currently from my T5s its a total of 96w so i didnt think 150w would be an over kill since there are people using 6x24w over a tank my size.

thanks for the heads up :)

• SRC Member
but T5s need regular changing and API tubes aren't cheap :( so i was thinking if MH would help with that. currently from my T5s its a total of 96w so i didnt think 150w would be an over kill since there are people using 6x24w over a tank my size.

thanks for the heads up :)

good mh bulbs don't come cheap either.. a good bulb will probably cost around $100 and ATI tubes are about 28 each.. with T5, u can control the color spectrum but its harder to do so with MH, thus u need blue light supplement.

also dun just take total power rating as a guide. mh is point source, so although u get the nice ripple effect. the lighting will be more focused on a spot as compared to T5 which spreads it out evenly across the tank. also u can raise the mh fixture to get a broader spread of light and to reduce the intensity so your LPS won't get cooked

• Sponsor

looking at your setup, u still can use 150watts MH but what u need to suspend the light higher as the MH produce alot of heat compare to T5. Yes, MH bulb replacement is cheaper compare to T5 and the lifespan will be longer. MH bulb range from 50-150 depending on brands.

Since you already have a chiller, yes u can opt for using MH

• SRC Member
hi guys, i pondering to go on to MH from T5 cause there's a chiller now. my tank's only 2'x1'x1.5' (the standard 2' feet except maybe a little taller). would 150w be an overkill? i don't keep any sps, just normal lps and other corals.

i'm also unsure about the pricing. checking online they all seem to cost over $250 and i can't find one for 2' tanks. i'm guessing i also need to supplement blue T5s or the tank would look totally yellow/white right?

can anyone also point out the life of MH bulbs? will they need changing like T5s?

i went from MH to T5 n never look back for my LPS tank.

• Senior Reefer

i really think MH is an overkill and not necessary for a tank of ur size. since u are keeping LPS, u dont need too much light. T5's are more than enough and they will be very happy.

how many t5 do you have anyway; you could always add more if you like. what i do is to remove the 'legs'. my lights are like 5 cm away from the water surface. i use a fan to circulate the air underneath it. I will also be adding a homemade blue LED bar as a supplement soon, although i don't think it will help much....

• SRC Member
how many t5 do you have anyway; you could always add more if you like. what i do is to remove the 'legs'. my lights are like 5 cm away from the water surface. i use a fan to circulate the air underneath it. I will also be adding a homemade blue LED bar as a supplement soon, although i don't think it will help much....

his tank is 2 x 1 x 1.5. is actually more than enuff already. my tank is 2.5ft ht n i onli use 6 tubes. bros who have seen my tank can prove that T5 is not as weak as it seems

• SRC Member

his tank is 2 x 1 x 1.5. is actually more than enuff already. my tank is 2.5ft ht n i onli use 6 tubes. bros who have seen my tank can prove that T5 is not as weak as it seems

Just seen the tank this morning and the lighting looked great.

Thanks for the light set.Works great.

sun