Black trigger

• SRC Member

Hi any bro here keep this trigger before.

Melichthys trigger.

First picture is the Melichthys indicus

243hqpi.jpg

second picture Melichthys niger

e6u88i.jpg

I came across this today, is this the Hawaii trigger? Is it aggressive?

j7caz7.jpg

The tail is similar to picture 2

15g5qgh.jpg

Can anybro kept this b4 advice :thanks:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

• Senior Reefer

the one u have is a melichthys niger (as bro terryz have pointed out).

very easy to keep, as most triggers are, but i dunno about aggression. never kept this niger before.

• SRC Member
u just bought this fish i thought u angel lover??

It was a love at first sight bro. Very unique colour.

Thanks bro Terryz and bro lemon, i thought only Hawaii have this M niger?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Senior Reefer

hi bro bigbird, the M.niger trigger is found circumtropically. all tropical oceans, but is most often collected in hawaii..

the other one, M. indicus is only found in the indian ocean, red sea and east african coast.

hope this helps.

• SRC Member
hi bro bigbird, the M.niger trigger is found circumtropically. all tropical oceans, but is most often collected in hawaii..

the other one, M. indicus is only found in the indian ocean, red sea and east african coast.

hope this helps.

Thanks. I am not sure with trigger at all. I only kept before a Queen trigger( brazil) clown trigger and Gold heart trigger. Anyway my wife anti trigger.

• Senior Reefer

haha. cute wat...

most triggers are easy. easy to feed, and hardy. only problem is some species can get quite aggressive. but bro terryz said this is a mild tempered one. so u should be ok

• SRC Member
haha. cute wat...

most triggers are easy. easy to feed, and hardy. only problem is some species can get quite aggressive. but bro terryz said this is a mild tempered one. so u should be ok

I am not so much worry abt the aggression, i am afraid they become barber in my tank. Most of the beautiful angel depend on the long filament, just imagine, the trigger snip it and it become shorter. Haha.

• SRC Member
haha. cute wat...

Which do you prefer? M niger or the M indicus

• Senior Reefer
Which do you prefer? M niger or the M indicus

i dunno about barber. maybe u can teach him make ur angels more beautiful instead? haha!

hmm. i think M. niger nicer. the lunate tail is more appealing. but i still like clown trigger more haha. the juv one is extremely cute

:wub:

post-15755-1239413984.jpg

Hmmm... I am not really sure about it nipping fin.. but i think that apply to those more aggressive ones... This one should not..

Niger are not epidemic to hawaii.. So not surprising that they can be found in other shipments.. Indicus is abit difficult to find if not wrong..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp