Aiptasia and other corals ID help needed!

Hi everyone,

I'm a real newbie and have recently read about Aiptasia, so i was looking around my tank for it. To my horror, i found a couple that were close to 1cm in diameter.

Are these Aiptasia?

aiptasia1.jpg

aiptasia2.jpg

If they are indeed Aiptasia, what are the recommended ways to get rid of them?

I've read of several methods like using a syringe to suck them out, using a syringe to pump boiling water onto them, using peppermint shrimps or hermits. Which would be the recommended and safest way to rid them? I dont wanna try one method only to have them reproduce because i didnt remove them properly. I have corals and fishes in my 2 month old tank, hence i prefer to avoid chemicals..

2nd ID help:

Any idea what these are? Bought them recently, and placed them on my sandbed. Looks like aiptasia, but i dont think it is, and if it is, the shop wouldnt sell them. Any suggestions for making them grow from the rock they are on, and onto my sand bed?

img1531e.jpg

3rd ID:

Bought these a while back, and the shop told me it was a branch Octo. I couldnt find much info on it on the internet. I guess the name was wrong. I beleive it belongs to the hammer family. From the picture you cant really see, but it has 2 round heads..

octobranch.jpg

Thanks!!

• Senior Reefer

yes those are aiptasias. u can try peppermint shrimps, copperband butterfly or seagrass filefish if u want to avoid chemicals. injecting them with a super concentrated solution of calcium or kalkwasser will dissolve them instanty. but becarenot not to get that on ur corals.

the 2nd ID is a protopalythoa. commonly known as yellow polyps. they are hardy and can spread very quickly. related to palys and zoas

the 3rd ID is a Euphyllia Paradivisa, also known as frogspawn coral. they belong to the Euphyllia family together with hammer, torch, anchor and octopus corals. branching octo is a coloqial name thus u cannot find info on it. try frogspawn corals or just simply type euphyllia paradivisa. the care is similar to hammer and torch. good to moderate lighting and moderate flow.

hope i have helped u (:

yes those are aiptasias. u can try peppermint shrimps, copperband butterfly or seagrass filefish if u want to avoid chemicals. injecting them with a super concentrated solution of calcium or kalkwasser will dissolve them instanty. but becarenot not to get that on ur corals.

the 2nd ID is a protopalythoa. commonly known as yellow polyps. they are hardy and can spread very quickly. related to palys and zoas

the 3rd ID is a Euphyllia Paradivisa, also known as frogspawn coral. they belong to the Euphyllia family together with hammer, torch, anchor and octopus corals. branching octo is a coloqial name thus u cannot find info on it. try frogspawn corals or just simply type euphyllia paradivisa. the care is similar to hammer and torch. good to moderate lighting and moderate flow.

hope i have helped u (:

Lemon, that was such great help! Appreciate it. Gotta research more on my Aiptasia problem... Does it warrent urgent attention, or can i get to it a couple of week later? What if there are some in the caves of the rocks i cant see?

• Senior Reefer
Lemon, that was such great help! Appreciate it. Gotta research more on my Aiptasia problem... Does it warrent urgent attention, or can i get to it a couple of week later? What if there are some in the caves of the rocks i cant see?

no need to panic over aiptasia. few weeks is ok. just make sure none of them touch ur corals.

hope i have helped u (:

Thanks! With regards to the Protopalythoa, is it safe to handle it? I heard that paly are poisonous, even to humans. As you mentioned zoas are related to paly too, are they safe to handle bare hands?

Cheers!

Thanks!

• Senior Reefer
Thanks! With regards to the Protopalythoa, is it safe to handle it? I heard that paly are poisonous, even to humans. As you mentioned zoas are related to paly too, are they safe to handle bare hands?

Cheers!

Thanks!

yes as long as u dun poke it and squash it. touching it with ur hands is ok. but wash ur hands with soap after doing so. standard procedure when handling marine stuff. u dun wanna get the runs

palys are not just poisonous, they are extremely poisonous. with sufficient amount of palytoxin in ur bloodstream, it can be fatal but i think u will need ALOT of palys to kill u. still, better to be safe than sorry. and i dun think anyone has died from it yet. just be careful when handling them. dun hold them near ur eyes and squish them. sometimes they squirt water and that can get into ur eye. which hurts like hell.

anyway, its not so easy to die from a paly la. lol. dun be afraid. just handle them like u would, any other corals. ppl frag zoos and palys everyday and none of them have died. i think. just remember to wash ur hands!

• SRC Member
If you are worried, just buy those rubber gloves from pharmacy and wear them before handling your corals.

The latex rubber gloves from pharmacy i can find are all chlorinated. Where to find non-chlorinated ones?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)