pls help I.D this fish.

• SRC Member
hi guys i am not too sure what this fish is. the uncle at e shop said that it is very easy to take care. i think its a butterfly but im not sure. can anyone help? and if its a butterfly what type is it?

eight barred butterfly??

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

The picture is not clear. it is either a chaetodon octofasciatus (eight banded butterflyfish), or a paracentropyge multifasciatus (multi-barred angelfish)

if its the butterfly, it feeds exclusively on coral polyps in the wild. hard to replicate diet

if its the angel, it is very difficult fish to feed and is very shy.

neither are very easy to take care. poor survival rate.

• Senior Reefer
thanks bros. its a eight banded butterfly. the shop owner is a nutt case.anyway since i got e fish alrd, i'll just keep it as long as i can. any recommendations on where i can purchase cheap coral polyps?

am not sure what kind of coral polyps they feed on. but in the wild, u can often see them around acropora. sustaining this fish will be very very expensive. if its possible, try returning it to the LFS...

how much did u buy it?

anyway, if its eating frozen food, that will be good. can sustain it for awhile

thanks again bro. i got it for 4 dollars. it aint expensive but a life is wasted now. argh. LFS doesnt want to take it bback. mistake made. next time i better go do my research before buying any fish. i read on the internet that in e offshore islands of singapore they have Acropora corals growing. do u think its advisable to release the fish on my next offshore fishing trip?

• Senior Reefer
thanks again bro. i got it for 4 dollars. it aint expensive but a life is wasted now. argh. LFS doesnt want to take it bback. mistake made. next time i better go do my research before buying any fish. i read on the internet that in e offshore islands of singapore they have Acropora corals growing. do u think its advisable to release the fish on my next offshore fishing trip?

i have no idea bro. haha